a question after my first JW meeting

by bleak 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

Runaway and don't look back. I wasted 40 years of my life in the cult.

Sour Grapes

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

And remember, JWs believe it is alright to lie to you if they think you are not worthy of the truth. It's called theocratic warfare. That is why I have a quote accompanying the questions JO-HO thought worthy to repeat on this thread. BTW, they don't like you to quote their literature if it puts their organization in a bad light. They may even deny it is current teaching when it actually is. Good luck

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

Bleak, this was me in 1999 : Single, lonely, fresh out of an unsatisfactory relationship, both parents dead no family, going through a career burnout of sorts with loss of self confidence and no support structure, co-dependent, idealistic, a little naive and gullible, uneducated and wanting to be part of a community that accepts me as I am.

Go ahead and 'study' if you want to learn the Bible real quick, but don't get baptised ever and please do your due diligence on the 'society' - watchtower corp. $$$

The LOVE Bombing stopped the day I was and saw their true nature which I knew - felt was always there to being with ( gut feeling ) but ignored because " I want to believe ! " By then I had over two years 'invested', the sunk cost fallacy and all that. Plus I was horny and looking for a 'Christian wife'.. what a disaster that would of been ! Came close a few times too.

I still believe in the Bible, am Christian but at my own pace out of any organisation. Some months I study daily, others not at all. So much out there other that what the wt people want you to believe.

Look up Werner Bible commentary, some good research there.

DD : Do your own due diligence.

Hope this helps.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

they dont really know their bibles Bleak, they have a handful of proof texts that support their main doctrines namely the monotheistic belief they support and the claim that they alone are preaching the good news of the kingdom which they are completely in the wrong with anyway, after I left the WTS and believe me I thought I was a good student of the bible I found that I really wasn't, one can say the same of all cults.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

3) oh they absolutly do put nation before God and christ. They fly the flag in the the kingdom halls in Chile to get out of paying a fine. This is just absolute hypocrisy, and those who endured so much persecution over the flag issue would be turning over in their Graves if they knew.

• Wakanda
    Wakanda
    Now for my question...
    1. Why do they seem to take some parts/passages of the Bible literally and others figuratively?

Because it suits their cultiness. Look at this link. Search for Jehovah's Witnesses on the page; they are on there three times.

http://www.spiritual-research-network.com/cultsmisreadbible.html

As is often said on this site: Let's review: It's a cult. Good luck in life bleak. I would suggest researching cults to make sure another doesn't try to recruit you, and get some therapy to see why you were vulnerable to the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Edit to say: The reason suits are required is to make you different, a cult tactic. The bible only talks about modesty, but when they talk about 'dress and grooming' they bring up scriptures on modesty to enforce the dress code that goes waaay beyond modesty.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

BLEAK:

The points you posted are inaccurate and there is SO much you don’t know!

Everybody is telling you the truth here. I would hate for you to join and then in time have the rude awakenings we all had...Well, do what you want but I’m afraid you are going to find out the hard way.

• steve2
    steve2

They are big on double standards:

If they knew you asked questions about them on this forum, they'll sweetly say, "Why not ask us directly rather than asking others?" Then they will proceed to tell you all about "the churches of Christendom" and if you say, "Why can't I ask people in the churches my questions about them?, JWs will say, "that's different."

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

The answer is, you've attended 1 too many meetings. Run away!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Israel is not "God's chosen people." True enough.

Holidays come from manmade religions, referred to as "pagan." All true.

They don't believe in fighting wars for political agendas, at least not those of the nations. Yes.

On those points, they do seem to heap praise on ancient Israel as God's chosen people. That way, they can claim they are modeled on God's people, and therefore are God's people. That is their self serving part- saying "No, WE are God's people."

Avoiding holidays with pagan roots is more about isolating themselves from 'the world.' They put an unhealthy fear in children to avoid birthdays and any holiday stuff. If Christmas offends you, don't do Christmas. Same with the rest. But does a child have to fear that he let God down because he wanted a birthday cupcake from a worldly classmate?

JW's are fighting a war against the world and are dying, letting their kids die, for the agenda of Watchtower with the silly blood doctrine, and keeping their flocks ignorant with their view of higher education.

They do not know the Bible so great as others have mentioned. They know snippets that support Watchtower doctrine. I could go on, but you will know this when you pay attention, and read the good points made by others here.

The sometimes-figurative, sometimes literal use of the Bible is all based on what the men running Watchtower want the people to think, do, believe. Whatever keeps them in line best.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit