a question after my first JW meeting

by bleak 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

They the religion is all about you following their leaders as their idea of the Bible. They come off as being able to understand and teach the Bible but really they understand and know how to teach their idea of the Bible.

Their a doomsday religion that claims their the only true religion of god. They tell their followers that all other religions and their followers are false. Jesus said do not exalt yourselves, do not judge.

If you join them they will tell all the time the world is coming to an end soon and you need to waste all your time pushing their propaganda on other people. You’ll be judged on how much time you put into it and not how spiritual you are. Like most before you you’ll waste your life away pushing their ideas on others only to end up old broke, then they will kick the can down the road on when the end will actually come and you’ll be left holding a pipe dream.

Please do your research before you get baptized!

• bleak
    bleak

I accept that this forum doesn't have a multi-quote function, I really do, but it's in a 'choose your battles carefully' sort of way.

Apart from having yet to watch the video and read the link, I read all replies carefully and it's seems there is a lot of stuff I don't know about the JW's. As far as cults go, I'm a veteren of the Psychic Wars from way back (all hail the amazing Blue Oyster Cult; the only and best cult worth listening to) ie Roman Catholics, Tibetan Buddhists (not Zen Buddhism by a long stretch), Scientology, Krishna (UN)Consciousness, Crowley's Thelema... Christians: Orthodox, Swedenborgians, and few others. I'm still all here and not a robot veggie.

I don't know if I'm going back but if I do, it will be with a heap of skepticism. I won't overtly show that nor will I fawn, grovel or pant like a lap dog. A lot of weight in your replies so thank you all.

Londo111
    What do you think about their beliefs now?

Skeptical.

Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    It's a bit disappointing and eerie to hear how programmed and switchboard-y these guys are when questioned about very important, yet basic, scriptures.

[snip to keep it simple(r)]

My thinking was similar during their Watchtower study. I couldn't tell if they were reciting from memory or reading. They seemed devoid of the spark if you know what I mean.

Wow, they say all that stuff? Must be like the reams of BS policy books in scientology.

Vanderhoven7
    Well I would like to say that i disagree with every doctrine that is unique to Jehovah's Witnesses including:

1. that 99.9% of the worlds population will be destroyed at Armageddon (everyone who is not a JW)
    [snip]
    the list goes on and on.

I didn't know that stuff but I knew they wouldn't tell me if it's true or not LOL. I asked the two that came to my door why they sold their Jay St Brooklyn billboard building to Jared Kushner for $386 million knowing that Kushner also purchased 666 Fifth Ave for billions and they essentially said "it was a bad location and we needed the money." That is what they said.

Ding
    Please think long and hard before you allow a group of men in New York have that kind of control over your life.

Well, that is what I am doing.

moreconfusedthanever
    1. They consider themselves God's chosen people and only the JWs who attend the Kingdom Hall will survive Armageddon. 99.9% of the world's population are marked for destruction.

2. Easter and Christmas are out due to pagan links but wedding rings and shunning are acceptable even though pagan links exist.

3. Their Governing Body put themselves between you and God and Christ. No mention of a GB or faithful and discreet slave in John 14:6

4. Yes and they edit their Bible's to fit their control on the flock. See Micah 6:8 for example.

They pick and choose which bits are figurative or literal according to their current doctrine and how it best served to control the flock and keep them in the FOG (fear, obligation, guilt)

It is a prerequisite to think and act and look exactly as they say. Appearing before judges has nothing to do with it. Have you watched Judge Judy?

1. That goes a long ways in explaining why they don't believe the zionist israeli view that Jews are 'God's chosen people.' How can there be two sets of chosen people?

2. Right on the money, moreconfused.

3. So right again. I believe no one needs middle men in their search. I quit the Catholics a long long time ago. John 14:6.

4. I just read them both and you are absolutely right. "Act / do justly " and "exercise justice" are two completely differnent meanings not to mention "cherish loyalty."

Sour Grapes
    Runaway and don't look back. I wasted 40 years of my life in the cult.

Would you care to say why you decided to leave? I wasted a lot of time and money in other cults (the worst being scientology) and for me, it generally came down to hypocrisy and the idol worship of people.

Introvert 2

Bleak, this was me in 1999 : Single, lonely, fresh out of an unsatisfactory relationship, both parents dead no family, going through a career burnout of sorts with loss of self confidence and no support structure, co-dependent, idealistic, a little naive and gullible, uneducated and wanting to be part of a community that accepts me as I am.

Go ahead and 'study' if you want to learn the Bible real quick, but don't get baptised ever and please do your due diligence on the 'society' - watchtower corp. $$$

The LOVE Bombing stopped the day I was and saw their true nature which I knew - felt was always there to being with ( gut feeling ) but ignored because " I want to believe ! " By then I had over two years 'invested', the sunk cost fallacy and all that. Plus I was horny and looking for a 'Christian wife'.. what a disaster that would of been ! Came close a few times too.

I still believe in the Bible, am Christian but at my own pace out of any organisation. Some months I study daily, others not at all. So much out there other that what the wt people want you to believe.

Look up Werner Bible commentary, some good research there.

DD : Do your own due diligence.

Hope this helps.

That would be me almost to a T right now except my last relationship was 7.5 years ago. It was also unsatisfactory. I have some associates who like, respect and help me sometimes but no family and zero real friends. I also have enemies (and not by my doing or choosing) in the 'hood and at work. I try to be a responsible, helpful and friendly person to all but don't cross me (not directed at anyone here). Being alone is a two-edged sword; it limits the amount of BS but it sucks being alone all the time. It also forces one to be vigilent, introspective and inquisitive. And it sucks being alone all the time.

The "LOVE bombing" thing; I haven't heard that before BUT... I was LOVE Bombed by people in one of the churches I attended for awhile. I had differences with three out of the four(!!!) "pastors" there and stopped going. Do you think any of those people contacted me as a friend with no strings attached? NO. It was all "come to church come to church." I never went back.

jookbeard
    they dont really know their bibles Bleak, they have a handful of proof texts that support their main doctrines namely the monotheistic belief they support and the claim that they alone are preaching the good news of the kingdom which they are completely in the wrong with anyway, after I left the WTS and believe me I thought I was a good student of the bible I found that I really wasn't, one can say the same of all cults.

That resonates with me somehow. I just finished reading the NT completely for the first time recently and took notes. I've read only samples of the OT (but almost all of Psalms; love those curses) began reading it and taking notes. I have some serious issues with most Christians views of the OT but I'll spare you except to say that the only view I believe in is the Gnostic one. Well, guess what? There aren't many Gnostic churches around these parts.

sparrowdown
    Your first meeting and he tells you where you can buy a suit!?- if that doesn't raise a red flag nothing will.

When it comes to religion you should be more critical not less as you are relying on arbitrary interpretation of ancient writings, musings, allegories and stories.

Beware of love bombing. Do not check your brain at the door. Pay attention to what is really being said. Ask plenty of questions and do NOT be satisfied with answers that fob you off or do not make sense.

O heck yes it does LOL. Huge. And agree with you 100%.

Wakanda
    Because it suits their cultiness. Look at this link. Search for Jehovah's Witnesses on the page; they are on there three times.

As is often said on this site: Let's review: It's a cult. Good luck in life bleak. I would suggest researching cults to make sure another doesn't try to recruit you, and get some therapy to see why you were vulnerable to the Jehovah's Witnesses.
    Well, what do you think I'm doing? I'm not "vulnerable" to anyone including online. Do you know me? No, so don't presume to, K?
    LongHairGal
    The points you posted are inaccurate and there is SO much you don’t know!

Everybody is telling you the truth here. I would hate for you to join and then in time have the rude awakenings we all had...Well, do what you want but I’m afraid you are going to find out the hard way.

How are my points "inaccurate?" While it is true there is a lot regarding JW's that I don't know, I would say the same to you about Knowing everything that needs to be known for example the "holidays" detail.

steve2
    They are big on double standards:

If they knew you asked questions about them on this forum, they'll sweetly say, "Why not ask us directly rather than asking others?" Then they will proceed to tell you all about "the churches of Christendom" and if you say, "Why can't I ask people in the churches my questions about them?, JWs will say, "that's different."

Right, because they will give me their biased view / dogma and that is not what I am looking for. Thanks.

• venus
    venus

They are right in many details. But they are absolutely wrong in teaching and practicing what ultimate duty is (not hurting others)—a cause all the prophets stand for. (Mathew 7:12). If one disagrees with any of their teachings, he is shunned forever. God is not interested in details (Mathew 7:21-23); but He accepts anyone (including atheists) who is humanitarian. (Mathew 25:31-46) All other scriptural verses that contradict this fundamental truth are of human origin.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

HI BLEAK:

I respect that you are a person who is searching.....Sorry, what I meant was the points you raised don’t say it all. The one where you said JWs know their Bible: well, I thought the same thing too way back when, but they keep changing their bible.

At this point I consider myself an agnostic, but I would never refer to any JW bible version. I don’t even have their bible in my home anymore.

As far as the holidays: yes, it’s true they have pagan origin but so does everything else in the world: the days of the week, wedding rings, etc. You’d have to get off the planet to escape it. The real reason, in my personal experience, why the JWs don’t want their members celebrating holidays is because they don’t want them associating with non-JW friends and family. I suspect they’re afraid if JWs experience good times around people who are not judging them, they might not want the religion anywhere.

As for your point about the Israel thing, that was never an issue when I was there. I’ve been out since 2001. Maybe some of the more scholarly ex-JWs on here can elaborate more on that.

Good luck in your search for truth!

• Incognito
    Incognito

Bleak,

Welcome! Glad to see you are looking at the religion with open eyes, and investigating from different angles. Research and knowledge is good but JWs try to discourage that and claim the only research (study) needing to be done and knowledge required is from using WatchTower literature.

You mention about JWs knowing their bible. You had it right in saying 'their' Bible as it is unique in subtle ways from other bibles. There is actually more focus placed on WT literature than the bible, with out of context scriptures often referenced to support the interpretation. WT literature is how the interpretation of the bible is conveyed. All JWs are expected to understand and believe the same way. Independent thinking and viewpoints are not tolerated.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Bleak ,

JW`s / GB will tell you they were appointed by God/Jehovah/Christ Jesus in 1919 because they were the only one`s in Christendom then teaching the truth about Gods word the Bible.

However if you examine what JW`s/GB teach and believe today with what they taught back in 1919 it is totally different.

Jehovah`s Witnesses today do not believe what Jehovah`s Witnesses believed back in 1919 .

So if in fact they were approved in 19 19 for what they believed they would now be rejected for discarding those beliefs today.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

They know their Bibles. I don't think anyone can dispute this.

They know their Watchtower magazines very well. They know the Bible proof-texts given in the Watchtower very well, and the specific assigned passages for daily reading. But they do not have as much comprehension of the whole Bible, taking all its books and viewing them in context. My impression is that they treat their Watchtowers as equal to the scriptures, sometimes as even more authoritative.

How they interpret different parts of the Bible is another matter.

How they made their own translation also is another matter. For the most part, it is a fairly literal word-for-word transliteration. But it loses the power of the original poetic language, which better translators try to preserve where possible (in Psalms, the Song of Songs, etc.). The way the ideas are expressed, the style, the majesty, the rhetorical impact, the word choices, the rhythms: all covey the teachings just as much as the plain words. The Bible is not a prosaic textbook!

The peculiarities unique to the NWT are unjustifiable: the Hebrew version of the holy name would never appear in New Testament works written in Greek, and reverent Jews (such as Jesus and the Evangelists) would not use that name so freely as it appears in the NWT.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Hi Bleak, to answer your question they choose to see some Biblical verses as literal and some as figurative because it suits them. No pun intended! It helps them produce the teachings that bind people in a cult that is almost impossible to get out of once you've got your entire family mixed up in it.

I would say if you can't stand the idea of being told what to wear you are going to hate being told who you can marry, what you can do in bed, what kind of jobs you can't do, what you must do on your weekends etc, etc.

It makes sense to do your research online after visiting the Kingdom Hall. It seems to me you are far too much of an independent thinker to belong to this cult. Have you looked at JWfacts.com by the way? Some great argumentation on there by Paul Grundy who used to be very involved with the religion. Good luck with your research.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer
    Vanderhoven7
    Well I would like to say that i disagree with every doctrine that is unique to Jehovah's Witnesses including:

1. that 99.9% of the worlds population will be destroyed at Armageddon (everyone who is not a JW)
    [snip]
    the list goes on and on.
    Bleak: "I didn't know that stuff but I knew they wouldn't tell me if it's true or not LOL."

You are right Bleak. The fact is that JWs have two responses to almost everything - there is the answer they give to the public or interested people for public relations purposes, and there is the real answer.

If you asked them directly if they believe that everyone but Jehovah's Witnesses will be destroyed at Armageddon, they will likely give you an evasive answer such as 'Oh no, we believe that God does the judging - He decides who lives or dies.' This is intended to satisfy the listener but it is very misleading and evades the question.

Most people would agree that God does the judging, but the question was 'Do you believe that everyone will be destroyed at Armageddon except JWs?' The real answer is a definite Yes but they don't like to admit it to newly interested people.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Bleak,

They use the name "Jehovah' in the Christian Greek Scriptures of the New World translation ? that they published.

However in the Kingdom Interlinear of The Christian Greek Scriptures which they also published a word for word translation of the christian Greek scriptures the Tetragrammaton the four Hebrew letters representing God`s name nor it`s equivalent in Greek NEVER appear in the Greek text, nowhere do they exist.

So they lie when they say Jehovah`s name should appear in the New Testament It was never their in the first place by their own publication.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit