Wacky Baccy Eh! Cannabis Now Legal in Canada

by Simon 49 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Simon
    Simon

So Canada has legalized pot / marijuana / cannabis and you can go to stores today and buy some. The local news is covering it here in Calgary with crowds of thousands expected at one of only 2 stores licensed in the city but last I saw, there were only 7 people in the line so who knows how popular it will be. I imagine all the people who really wanted to get it could already get it easily so this is more about expanding the market to new users who will be less inclined to queue for hours on day 1.

Apparently you'll also be able to purchase online with discreet delivery by Canada post. I wonder how many JWs may decide to just 'have a try' given that no one will know and you don't need to meet some sketchy character to get some? Look out for people giggling through the WT ... that's a dead giveaway because no one should be enjoying that shit normally.

It is of course one massive experiment with unknown consequences and there's a feeling that the Trudeau government has only done this for popularity and a quick tax boost without really considering the long term effects, especially on youth or healthcare overall as well as road safety. Will enough be done to prevent access to it? Who knows ...

There's also the question of past convictions. Should people who were convicted of drug offences be pardoned? Personally, I don't think they did. If you broke the laws as they stand, you are guilty and pay the price decided, regardless if they laws later change. If you're given a speeding ticket and the speed limit it later increased then unlucky - that was the limit at the time. If the alcohol limit is lowered, should people who previously passed a higher limit be given convictions in hindsight?

Whatever your views of legalized pot, I expect productivity in Canada may take a slight dip today.

• sir82
    sir82

There's also the question of past convictions. Should people who were convicted of drug offences be pardoned?

https://www.apnews.com/3a31d93c09074bd69721328725befb3c

The Canadian government is ready to pardon those with a pot possession record of 30 grams or less after

Canada becomes the second and largest country with a legal national marijuana marketplace Wednesday.

A senior government official said those with a record will be allowed to apply for a pardon.

• OneGenTwoGroups
    OneGenTwoGroups

Kudos to the Trudeau government. The religious fucknuts that rule the roost here in Texas won't even allow THC to be used medically.

• new boy
    new boy

I thought we were not supposed to talk about "drugs" on this web site!

lol

• Simon
    Simon

It's no longer an illegal drug, well, not for us anyway. It is a strange thing though that the US could refuse entry to people who have used / purchased it. What's stranger is that it's legal in some US states but the companies in those states can't use banking facilities because it's not legal at the federal level.

In some ways the "all or nothing" approach that Canada has taken makes more sense than the messy status that exists in the States.

• new boy
    new boy

Your right good point!

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

What's stranger is that it's legal in some US states but the companies in those states can't use banking facilities because it's not legal at the federal level.

Simon ...

That is generally true but there are still quite a few banks that are chartered by the State instead of at the Federal level. Of course cannabis would have to be legal in that State for a State bank to even consider touching the deposits since technically cannabis is illegal based on Federal law.

Rub a Dub

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I wonder if we may see a number of benefits from this brave move by the Govt. I call it brave, because it really is a step in to the unknown.

But the benefits may range from de-mystifying it, taking away an income source from those who deal also in hard drugs, and in a more relaxed populace !

Though I am told Canadians are pretty relaxed, layed back folks anyway, by and large.

I would like to try some, but cannot do so legally here in the U.K.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I use CBD for pain relief here in UK. CBD is legal and classed as a food supplement.

It is possible to obtain THC/CBD combination oil which is better by post. The sooner it is legalised and regulated the better for many as it definitely improves quality of life for those with MS, PN and multiple other health problems. Currently medication is self managed but it would be so much more reassuring to have my GP prescribe and monitor me professionally.

• Simon
    Simon

Medically, I think it's hard to argue that it doesn't bring benefits without many of the drawbacks of big-pharma produced medications. Seeing the effect it has on children having fits for instance, it's sometimes like a miracle cure. There's also hints that it may help certain cancers as well but there isn't enough data because there haven't been enough studies ... because it's illegal it's hard to study.

I think the big question is whether it will help solve the opioid 'epidemic' (over-prescribing by the medical industry) or act as a 'gateway drug' to increase it.

A medicine that people can grow themselves at home (4 plants is now legal too) which could threaten certain pharmaceuticals ... you can see why it was kept illegal for so long.

Also all the industries that benefitted from the 'war on drugs' ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit