Wacky Baccy Eh! Cannabis Now Legal in Canada

by Simon 49 Replies latest watchtower medical

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Anyone waiting for the sky to fall in because cannabis is legal in *insert country here*, I’m sorry but nothing is going to change.

Mummy needs a glass of wine.

Mummy needs a toke on a joint.

Both them comments should be taken the same way. Most of the population wouldn’t blink at the wine, which is addictive and toxic for the body yet find the cannabis comment offensive or irresponsible.

This attitude in the population is what needs adjusting. Why reserve hysteria for the amazing and much maligned cannabis plant?

We have real drug problems in most Western countries.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

"Hey yo Canada!

Just chill, innit bruv. You'll feel nice and relaxed as Islamism takes over.

Respeck"

Justin Trudeau

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

This has been the case in the Netherlands for decades with the exception that professional growing is still illegal.

By the way, in 2015 NL was ranked on #9 in terms of productivity while Canada was on #18.

http://time.com/4621185/worker-productivity-countries/

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Jeehoober made MJ, so you know it’s good!

DD

• Simon
    Simon
    in all my years of being around many, many women and hearing their stories of abuse and such, I have never once, not once, heard a woman say "He smoked a joint and then became violent" but, I have heard (more times than I like) "He started drinking and all hell broke loose. I thought he was going to kill me."

Yes, alcohol seems like a far more dangerous drug - but that's judged on the basis of massively higher consumption levels. We don't yet know the effect pot will have on society if use becomes widespread.

Is it heavily taxed? Mildly? .... or dare I contemplate, lightly to none at all?!

I don't know, I think it's priced to be close to competitive to the illegal stuff to hopefully make their's not so worth while but that logic doesn't make sense - if that's the going rate they can still sell it, it would need to be cheaper to really hurt them.

In some ways having legal pot will make illegal pot harder to police because it's less clear-cut that it's an illegal substance in itself, now the source matters. Maybe they hope the economies of scale of commercial growers will put the hurt on hidden production - it has to be easier, although they don't have any taxes to pay.

In Alberta our sales tax is 5% which isn't so bad, I don't know if there is a specific 'pot tax' on top.

The only concern I have being a Canadian myself is the open capability of users to smoke pot in public places such as walking down street or waiting for a bus, even smoking at home outside, pot smoke isn't pleasant and carries a ways, so there be new annoyances to deal with.

Many places have passed bylaws to cover "smells" from properties - I think with the intention that there is an avenue to stop people who are lighting up with the smell drifting to neighbouring properties. You can't just smoke while walking down the street or even in designated smoking spots, it has to be private or have a specific license.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Simon: Yes, alcohol seems like a far more dangerous drug - but that's judged on the basis of massively higher consumption levels. We don't yet know the effect pot will have on society if use becomes widespread.

You do not know that it is"judged on the basis of massively higher consumption levels". You are assuming that because it sounds good Simon.

Pot use is already widespread. I don't think you know what you are talking about. A massively high consumption of pot results in sleep, not violence.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Pot use is already widespread. I don't think you know what you are talking about. A massively high consumption of pot results in sleep, not violence - nobody believes pot makes people violent.

I think we're much more concerned with pot affecting students' exam results ... pot affecting employees' performance ... pot & cancer ... pot triggering mental illness ... pot acting as a gateway drug to worse shit.

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

Marriage and Marijuana

In Canada, the government, in its eternal wisdom, recently passed two laws.

They are:

1. Legalized gay marriage

2. Legalized marijuana

Legalizing gay marriage and marijuana at the same time now makes perfect Biblical sense.

Leviticus 20:13 says: "If a man lies with another man they should be stoned.” Apparently we just hadn't interpreted it correctly before!

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Liveuni: ...nobody believes pot makes people violent.

I was responding to Simon's comment to what I had said about violence. In that context, my reply makes sense.

Your concerns are valid but not what my comment was addressing.

• caves
    caves

I'm in favor.

I live in a state were it is legal. I have heard SO many stories from folks that have kicked pharmaceuticals because of Cannabis.

The dealers- I knew (past tense) several marijuana dealers when it was illegal. Its cheaper at the dispensary now than it was when it was illegal here. Much to my own amusement because this one dude I knew thought he was big stuff until it was legalized. Then he had to get a real job because he couldn't compete.

The town Im closest to has a population of 18,000 people. There are 24 dispensaries in that small town. The only thing that really changed here was the local marijuana dealers went out of business.

I cant believe how many grandmas I see going into the dispensaries. That is a funny site to me.

It ought to be interesting to see how it goes for Canada.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit