2nd amendment right ... where should it end?

by Simon 166 Replies latest social current

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

OrphanCrow:

I have heard some people say that they carry a hand gun when they are out hunting so that they can do the final kill. I ran that idea past my dad who is a very involved hunter of big game for food and he chuckled and then snorted. So did my native friend who carries a knife for that purpose. Canadian hunters don't use hand guns to kill animals.

Finkelstein:

So what your saying then because of your perilously dangerous incident hunting boar and based from that experience any kind of kind should be available to purchase to the public. ???

I've heard of experiences where a seemingly dead deer jumped up when the hunter got close to it. It's sharp horns could easily disembowel a person. You do need to take precautions and that usually involves carrying a weapon that could quickly kill the animal. A knife won't cut it under those circumstances and the rifle would be too long for a head shot when you're right by the animal.

So it's simply not about hunting with the sidearm but using it to make sure the animal is dead. Here is a range of opinions on the subject amongst hunters.

• Hadriel
    Hadriel
    @Fingkelstein you're right it is better to have a shotgun but the problem is it isn't likely that you'll be carrying a shotgun and a rifle.
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Personally if I was being charged by a wild Boar or Cougar, I would rather have a shot gun than pistol

That is a true statemen . i agree. This fellow I speak of was tracking a deer in a field he had a hunting rifle in his hands. He just happened to turn around to see a rooster tail of dust coming at him. Threw the rifle grabbed his semi auto glock, emptied it on the mountain lion.

But you are correct that in a dynamic combatative situation its hard to hit anything with a pistol. Out of all the bullets fired by cops only 16% hit target. Movies make it seem so easy. Its not.

• Hadriel
    Hadriel

@Village Idiot just said it perfectly...has nothing to do with hunting itself.

I'd really like to see the naysayers sight in something charging at you with a magnified scope...the fact that you say this tells me you have no clue what you're saying. man you must be hella accurate with the hipfire LOL.

• Hadriel
    Hadriel
    But you are correct that in a dynamic combatative situation its hard to hit anything with a pistol. Out of all the bullets fired by cops only 16% hit target. Movies make it seem so easy. Its not.

Dead on accurate statement.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

And cops are trained to shoot.

That's why it always makes me laugh yo hear people say (when a cop shoots someone) "can't they just shoot the weapon out of their hand? Or shoot their leg?"

People have no idea

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Had: ...man you must be hella accurate with the hipfire LOL.

Yes. They are. It is how my brother took down a lynx that was getting ready to spring on him from 10 feet away. Rifle shot from the hip.

Do you really think that side arms are a necessity for hunting? Why don't Canadians use them for hunting? Why does a whole entire country (noteworthy for its hunting territories) make them illegal for hunting?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Perhaps it might be a bit more relevant and prudent to talk about people hunting people in cites rather than people hunting animals in the woods.

Protecting people from other people seems to be a little more important of an issue is it not ?

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    finkel: Perhaps it might be a bit more relevant and prudent to talk about people hunting people in cites rather than people hunting animals in the woods.
    Protecting people from other people seems to be a little more important of an issue is it not ?

Exactly. That is the whole point. Hand guns are only good for killing people, not animals. Only poor hunters need side arms. Or people who want to kill other people.

• TD
    TD

Since Simon doesn't appear to want to discuss this, I'm going to elaborate a bit. It is axiomatic that an 18th century militia would have possessed and used arms, because then as now, the word is defined along military lines. How else would a militia have fought? --Harsh language? --Sticks and stones?

If as the Second Amendment asserts, a well-regulated militia was in fact necessary to the security of a free state then it is also axiomatic that said militia and the citizens that would have composed it would have possessed and used bearable arms. A guarantee thereof, especially in the context of the Bill of Rights would therefore have been a tautology. –A meaningless reiteration of the obvious, which is one of the many criticisms of the dissenting opinion offered by Scaia in DC v Heller. .

This brings us to the language of the Second Amendment itself. –A Latinism which our Simon has described as, “A bit like Yoda.” Long before Star Wars, Latinisms were common. Don’t believe me? --How many of us were told as children in grammar school that it was improper to end a sentence in a preposition? That’s a Latinism. –True in Latin, but untrue in English. In English, it’s perfectly acceptable to end a sentence in a preposition, provided the preposition is functioning as an adverb. IOW, “That’s the most absurd thing I’ve ever heard of” is perfectly grammatical in English.

If I were to say, “A well regulated public reading program being necessary to the literacy of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed.” it would admittedly be awkward English because the sentence structure is Latin in origin. Despite that, would anyone seriously argue that the right of the people to keep and read books would be restricted to public reading?

Simon? Anyone? I'm all ears here.....

The sentence structure here is identical and it was used in at least one state constitution to guarantee freedom of speech. If Simon wants to argue that the Second Amendment has become outdated and a bit anachronistic, then I’m more than willing to listen. Personally, I think that viewpoint is pretty accurate.

–That doesn’t seem to be the argument on this thread though….

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit