2nd amendment right ... where should it end?

by Simon 166 Replies latest social current

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

It would appear that the gun industry in the US has little overall concern to how certain guns they manufacture and sell are to be used by the consuming public. Since its possible to buy certain guns that can do so much devastation quickly, that's why they are chosen by these assailants.

Of course the gun industry doesn't really want restrictions placed onto them for the variety of guns they can sell and make profits.

It's all fun and games until a wack job decides to use one intentionally to massacre a lot of people in a short amount of time.

Money takes the concerning precedence over how those guns could be used in a unlawful way.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Finkelstein:

Keep in mind that people could still use Shot guns or hunting rifles to protect themselves if found it necessary.

Whose bullets can be more powerful than the AK or AR bullets. A shotgun can release 9-15 Double Ought buckshot (OO) in a single pull of the trigger. That's the equivalent of 3-5 9mm bullets in a single burst.

Also, a tubular fed shotgun can have its capacity extended to 7 or 8 shells depending on their barrel length. That could give you the equivalent of 21-25 handgun cartridges.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Jumping in just cause the water looks warm...this will be only a sort dip.

I want to make a comment on one aspect of gun laws that I find remarkably different between Canada and the States and it concerns the use of hand guns.

In the States, carrying of a hand gun is permitted by anyone who holds registration for it. In Canada, we also can buy and carry hand guns.

But..in Canada, the carrying and storage of those hand guns is tightly regulated. They can only be used in controlled settings such as gun ranges and can never be carried on your person unless you are a member of the armed forces or police. Even being a private investigator does not allow you to carry a hand gun on your person. If you are an ordinary citizen, transporting the gun, for example, to the gun range, is an undertaking. The gun must be in a locked case and locked inside your glove compartment while going to and from the range and you are not even legally allowed to make any stops along the way. (I am pretty sure it is still the same...I used to go to the gun range with my brother years ago).

Anyways, the point I am getting at is that a hand gun is made for one purpose and one purpose only - to shoot people. Well...and for sport. Canada recognizes that.

I have heard some people say that they carry a hand gun when they are out hunting so that they can do the final kill. I ran that idea past my dad who is a very involved hunter of big game for food and he chuckled and then snorted. So did my native friend who carries a knife for that purpose. Canadian hunters don't use hand guns to kill animals.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

America should adopt and enforce strict laws about education and training for firearms before ownership

So that people who are predispositioned into using them onto unarmed citizens know how to so proficiently.

Yes if your willing to buy these semiautomatic rifles, will train you first before you go on to attack a bunch of unarmed civilians you'll be able to kill quickly and do so with reassuring confidence.

• Hadriel
    Hadriel

@Finkelstein I want you to understand I'm honestly not picking on you but here's a prime example of why commenting on something you're not fully aware of shouldn't be done. Hear me out.

Hunting for boar years ago with the old man I nearly got gouged. Basically he's a terrible shot. Like its a family joke bad. Needless to say he whizzed one by this sucker and he started charging me.

At that point a rifle isn't going to help you. You need a side arm, which thankfully I had. It was a 10mm Glock (missed on the first, clipped on second but between the withers on the third). On the third shot I dropped the boar just a couple feet from me.

What's my point? No way in the world I'm hunting for certain game without a pistol/revolver. No chance. Aiming down a rifle sight in that scenario just isn't going to work. So banning side arms won't work.

Banning semi-auto rifles won't work either. What's wrong with my Remington R-15. Are you saying that my varmint rifle is bad news? Cause that's what that gun is for.

See there are legit uses for these guns. Unless you're just saying I shouldn't hunt anymore. something I've done my entire life. Perhaps everyone should take something they've done their entire lives and remove it just to be fair then? (obviously not serious and not being argumentative but hopefully you appreciate what I'm saying)

All for control I'm a good citizen I'm not the concern but I get it there are people that are. So if there's some inconvenience I have zero issue with that. Honestly I don't. However you can't cast a wide net. Needs to be specific and predominantly based on individuals not the weapon itself. Guns don't spontaneously combust people do.

California is a prime example that the wrong kind of gun control flat doesn't work. That state is a danger zone. Strictest in the business yet the most deaths by guns.

...and I totally disagree that guns are the primary mechanism in these terrible incidents. The twin towers, Boston Marathon, San Bernardino. All either not guns or guns that were obtained illegally. Which all the gun control in the world does nothing for any of those terrible situations.

Not saying gun control can't help over all I think it can but it isn't a magic wand. In those three incidents I just mentioned gun control would have done nothing...zero...buptkis...so don't be under the impression it will magically fix it all.

Preventing conflict and stress for people will have a far greater effect than the gun control. Combine the both and you might have something.

Lastly everyone has been pretty civil in here but stood their ground. I hope I'm not overstepping here but during this @simon and I have had some PMs on totally unrelated topics throughout this whole deal. Seriously as if this thread didn't even exist and here we are on polar opposite sides of the fence.

I know some are upset or are claiming censorship. I haven't seen the posts so I can't really comment fully but I've not exactly been a cupcake in my position here and have received zero flak in the process. If you are civil and not abusive in your speech I don't think you'll see any censoring. Not making judgments just saying that is my personal experience. Take it as you will.

Now if we can just get the politicians to act in the same constructive manner as everyone has been here maybe we'll get somewhere!!.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    In the States, carrying of a hand gun is permitted by anyone who holds registration for it. In Canada, we also can buy and carry hand guns.

Nope. Not true. Can you tell me every states laws with regards to this? How easily can you even get a gun in a place like NYC? Ok if you somehow jump that hurdle, now to carry one you need a conceal permit next, good luck getting that in this lifetime. What about Illinois? What about California? You think you can walk around anywhere in California with a loaded gun???? You guys are out of your minds. :)

You guys are killing me. If you want to speak intelligently on gun control efforts please know what the hell you are talking about in the first place.

California is a prime example that the wrong kind of gun control flat doesn't work. That state is a danger zone. Strictest in the business yet the most deaths by guns.

100% correct!! I have lived in California and Florida I have seen both sides of the coin. Cali is just one giant marketplace for illegal guns.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Please... guys and gals... don't take my word for it. Watch this.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/underworld-inc/episodes/ghost-guns/

The problem that Fink reverts to constantly is the mass shooting issue. There are a lot more deaths and problems with guns than from that dude! It shows your bias and inclination towards eating up media propaganda. The amount of people being killed by guns in the inner cities far outweighs the death toll of sensationalized deranged rampage shooters. But its not as glamorous to grandstand about.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    fmf: Nope. Not true.

I apologize. I didn't realize that not all states allow it. Thank you for the correction.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Again I'm not taking a side. I am truing to elivate the conversation for those who actually want to see change.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

So what your saying then because of your perilously dangerous incident hunting boar and based from that experience any kind of kind should be available to purchase to the public. ???

I've owned hand guns, shot guns and hunting rifles. I think I could have taken down a boar easily with those guns.

Its relative to what your hunting and what to expect can happen.

Hunting Boar or bear isn't the same as hunting Deer or Caribou.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit