2nd amendment right ... where should it end?

by Simon 166 Replies latest social current

• Hadriel
    Hadriel

There is far far less control in where shrapnel goes.

There have been more deaths by terrorists in explosions than by guns themselves.

People put people at risk.

Siting a one off case of a hiker is pretty silly.

Why don't you ban trees next? They kill in the wild too. You have a better chance of being maimed or killed in the wilderness but some accident or animal attack than you ever will an errant bullet. Not even up for discussion.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-0816-yosemite-deaths-20150816-story.html

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ Hadriel...

I wasn't being overly critical.

I'm a huge fan of Mad Max: Fury Road, after all.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Hadriel

Why don't you ban trees next? They kill in the wild too. You have a better chance of being maimed or killed in the wilderness but some accident or animal attack than you ever will an errant bullet. Not even up for discussion.

Nonsense as well as insulting!

"In the forest district where Martin was killed, the number of firearms-related incidents, warnings and citations jumped from 65 over a 12-month period starting in July 2013 to 324 over the comparable period ending this week, according to the forest service."

Animal attack vs getting shot......... 'not even up for discussion!' Of course it's up for discussion however banning trees is not.

• Simon
    Simon

Unless there were 400 bear and cougar maulings in the same period ...

I think people have natural aversion to deaths by action vs deaths by accident. Freak accidents can't be prevented but conscious actions often can.

It's strange though, when there is a terrorist attack people don't try to excuse or dismiss it by comparing the number of deaths with those caused by falling branches, trips and falls downstairs, choking on bones etc...

"I'm sorry Mrs Smith, your husband has been shot and killed - but it's OK, more people were savaged by wild rabbits today !"

• Hadriel
    Hadriel

@Giordano & @Simon

You guys are missing the point. You're quick to sight isolated incidents however when albeit via satire I state another way someone might die in the same environment that doesn't count? What kinda logic is that?

The point is you can't sight a single incident and say see see if someone is hunting a camper/hiker dies. That is what you are implying.

So my counter is well then if you pitch a tent you get killed by a tree.

Maybe you missed it but my point is that it's ridiculous to say either!!!

No one has explained to me the fact that in states where gun ownership is nearly 65% that they have so few murders by guns they don't even register in the analytics. See those are facts. Those aren't isolated incidents we see that in multiple states.

I feel like you guys think if there's a gun in the picture it's for sure going off and someone is getting killed. Yet the proof that gun lenient states are safer is clearly there. That is categorically contrary to the theory that guns spontaneously go off.

I get it you think all guns should be banned, fine just add everything thing else to the list too as bombs are far more destructive and kill many more yet none of you have even mentioned it.

I have to get out of this one as I think I'm gonna lose my mind ha ha.

I'll leave everyone with this. I'm all for reasonable gun control however I refuse to say guns kill people. People kill people and they do it by many means. You'd be better off starting programs to help people coincide and relive stress than limiting a cartridge to 10 rounds instead of 15.

Respectfully,

HH

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

If more guns = more death then where I currently live everyone should be dead lol

• Simon
    Simon
    You're quick to sight isolated incidents however when albeit via satire I state another way someone might die in the same environment that doesn't count? What kinda logic is that?

I think you are mislabelling my argument - I don't remember putting forward any single incident, just commenting on the incidents (like Paris) that others have used. I don't see how any level of deaths by any other means has any bearing on deaths due to firearms - that is an argument solely put forward by the pro-gun lobby where somehow the fact that people also die in car accidents or by falling trees means we don't need to consider any form of gun control.

I feel like you guys think if there's a gun in the picture it's for sure going off and someone is getting killed.

Again, this is misrepresenting anything I believe I personally have said - did you mean to address this to me? I don't think a gun, as an inanimate object, is going to kill many people but a gun + people has been shown to be dangerous in many combinations whether that is because the person is a child, deranged, criminal, paranoid, malicious or simply careless.

I get it you think all guns should be banned, fine just add everything thing else to the list too as bombs are far more destructive and kill many more yet none of you have even mentioned it.

And again, I'm sure it makes your argument easier if you portray the argument as wanting to ban guns all together but where has this been suggested? Why does "better gun control" necessarily mean "complete ban on all guns"?

This is the sort of problem caused by the typical reaction to any mention of gun control that the religion obsession with the 2nd amendment causes. "You are trying to take all guns away" and everyone runs to their corners. Have I suggested "no guns at all"? Isn't it a straw-man argument?

I'm all for reasonable gun control however I refuse to say guns kill people. People kill people and they do it by many means. You'd be better off starting programs to help people coincide and relive stress than limiting a cartridge to 10 rounds instead of 15.

So we actually agree - we do need reasonable gun control, we just need to agree on what form that takes. You then state that what I would consider to be one such reasonable limit (how many rounds a magazine can hold) should not be an option, so our idea of that may be reasonable differ - I don't know why it's essential that someone can fire 15 shots instead of having to reload after 10 ... other than for bad reasons. To put it crudely, if it means "only" 10 kids are shot instead of 15 in some incident, I'd consider it worthwhile.

And I simply don't agree that some simple controls like this don't have any affect and don't save any lives. It's like saying that we should help people relieve stress and not bother limiting the size of a bottle of painkillers and yet when some simple controls are put on the sizes available the number of suicides go down. Doing both approaches is surely the right thing to do to save the most people.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

In view of the fact that most recent gun massacres involved the use of semiautomatic rifles or hand guns by these violent perpetrators. Lets create a hypothetical question... what would happen if the US banned the sale of hand guns and those specific rifles all together and just let the sale of recreational hunting rifles continue ?

Keep in mind that people could still use Shot guns or hunting rifles to protect themselves if found it necessary.

I know many that do have these kinds of guns and have used them for both protection and hunting..

Go one step further and assume that those laws were already in place and those perpetrators only had those kinds of guns during their attacks, would there have been less devastation in those events, would there be a lot more people living today if those guns were the only ones used ?

• Simon
    Simon

I don't think a hunting rifle would make for very good personal protection in a home-setting.

But why not a limited capacity handgun? Something with biometrics to limit who can fire it? Why are such things so objectionable to the gun lobby?

Because there would be less appeal to stealing such guns and no gun thefts = fewer gun sales?

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

If the anti gun know it all's are serious about understanding how the real world works. I would strongly encourage watching Underworld Inc on netflix. Episode 1. Ghost guns.

The extremes accomplish nothing. America should adopt and enforce strict laws about education and training for firearms before ownership. Banning them will do literally nothing. Banning may work in some cultures and not in others. It's not going to work in america. Watch the show!!

The folks like fink who spout nonsensical information that reveal their ignorance of the matter are undermining a discussion about doing something that could actually improve things. See I'm not debating for either extreme pro gun nut or anti gun nut so don't say how I'm not debating well. I'm not debating at all. Just calling BS when I see it.

Watch the episode and get back to me :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit