2nd amendment right ... where should it end?

by Simon 166 Replies latest social current

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Hadriel: Ask anyone trying to sight in with a rifle that close with a dangerous animal charging you, you need a sidearm. ask anyone that's done a decent amount of med. to lg. game hunting. Sort of a necessity.

Not really. I have a woman friend who hunts boar with a bow. We actually have a large problem with boars in some rural areas.

As I said before, I have asked people who are active hunters. A side arm is not necessary to be a good hunter. Not at all. If you ask any northern Canadian hunter about using a side arm in hunting, they would call you either a sissy or a bad hunter.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

I want to protect myself and my family and everyone from the nitwits too, laws need to be changed, but I am not delusional enough to think that a ban is going to stop the real big bad guys. I know it wont actually.

next solution?

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

And just one more thing about this comment: "ask anyone that's done a decent amount of med. to lg. game hunting. Sort of a necessity."

If it is such a necessity, then why do we have a whole entire country (Canada), which has far more hunting land and wild animals than the States, say that it is illegal to use side arms for hunting? If carrying a side arm for hunting is a necessity, then why do so many American hunters come up to hunt in Canada, the land where they can't use side arms for hunting? Huh...not only that, but the American hunters can't even take the meat home with them. Trophy hunters. Without side arms.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The other connecting issue in the States is that there has been so much sales and distribution of guns in this country for such a long period of time, that even if you did put and all out ban onto certain guns such as hand guns and semiautomatic rifles there would still be an underground black market with those guns.

That being said it would be conceivable that removing these guns and making them illegal to own would lower the consequential use of those guns in unlawful acts of violence.

People can still own shot guns and hunting rifles if they wish to as to protect themselves in their homes.

• Simon
    Simon

We go camping in the Rockies. There are bears and cougars and other big things. You are not allowed to have firearms in the provincial park though.

So what do you do if a bear comes round? You apologize for being in their area and ask them politely not to eat you.

They are normally ok, they are Canadian bears after all. ;)

Seriously, firearms are rarely necessary to defend yourself from animals found in North America. Follow some basic rules and show some care and attention and most animals will give you a wide berth.

We've had a cougar in our neighbourhood. No one felt the need to shoot at it.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

I ran a bunch of brown bears with nothing more than a small flashlight. Bears are big chickens unless their kids are involved. (I was slightly intoxicated )

Cougar or mountain lion that's a different situation. I know personally at least one person who had to put one down charging him with his handgun.

• Simon
    Simon

Yeah, you just have to make sure you make enough noise and bears will usually give you a wide berth ... unless you get between them and their cubs, that's not a good idea! My friend nearly ran into the back of one while mountain biking - running down the same trail ahead of him. That would also not be recommended.

Cougars are more aggressive but attacks are still pretty rare. Again, travel in groups and don't surprise an animal or do anything that makes it feel threatened. Nature likes to be left alone.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Personally if I was being charged by a wild Boar or Cougar, I would rather have a shot gun than a pistol.

Just saying

Needless to say hunting animals in the wild is not the same circumstances as people hunting other people.

• Hadriel
    Hadriel

@OrphanCrow did I say it was for hunting? Uh no I didn't did I. I said in the area of personal protection when getting charged unexpectedly. It's a safety precaution it has nothing to do with the actual kill.

...and I don't care how you do it in Canada. I don't know any famous Canadian hunters but there are plenty from the U.S. People hunt in Canada due to the vastness. It has zero to do with the elite hunters in Canada. Like we're all rolling up there to take a class or something too funny.

• Hadriel
    Hadriel

...and I'd like to see some of you with a long rifle with a scope sighting in a charging Mountain Lion. Good luck with that, let me know when you get out of the hospital.

Just last year in Arizona the camp next to us got attacked and the guy put one down.

Yep bears scare pretty easily as long as food isn't involved lol. They can be a real "bear" then...pun intended.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit