Just what constitutes a "good seat" at an assembly?

by xjw_b12 40 Replies latest social humour

• joenobody
    joenobody

Here's a little suggestion for some mischief. Next time one of you folks decides to go to a DC, run around right at opening and pick up all of the books and magazines used to save seats and stick them in the lost and found. I remember I did that one time - never got caught. It was pretty funny actually.

• joelbear
    joelbear

As a kid I was bound to where my parents and brother's family wanted to sit. My brother, my dad and I would leave early for the assembly and save our row of seats somewhere. The girls always followed along afterward, usually about 15 minutes after the program had begun. As an adult I always volunteered to work in the audit department so I didn't really have to listen to the talks I'd already heard 1000 times before. As a teenager I walked the halls and got dirty looks from the attendants.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I think back and I don't remember ever going hog wild every year, probably because every year we were reminded what jerks some were the year before and I didn't want to be in that group. I remember always getting a seat, but mostly being in the nosebleed section. I know one time I was on the last row in the arena and a woman next to me was lamenting about how far up she was....she said she felt more spiritual on the floor of the arena, because "God's people from Brooklyn" were there...

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

Mine was in my car!!!! I told my parents I went, saw them at lunch, but sat in the parking lot with my friends!!!!

Leslie

• undercover
    undercover

I had the unfortunate experience of having to go save seats at opening time once. I remember almost getting knocked to the ground by the so-called "elderly and infirm" as they raced to the "best" seats. I swore right then that I would never do that again. I caught grief from family the next year because I refused to it. After my wife did it a couple of times(and saw for herself), I heard no more about it.

Two things that got me about the whole seating thing:

One: I've never seen a DC sell out. Of the ones that I remember going to over the last 20 years, the coliseum or venue used held 3,000 to 5,000 more people than ever showed up for the DC. So what's the big deal about saving seats and trying to find a "good" seat? There's nothing to really watch, 'cept for the drama. Field glasses work pretty good for that.

Two: The infirm aren't really so infirm. At one convention site, the elderly and infirm seating was the bottom 2-3 rows, on the floor, same level as the stage. The whole bottom half of the coliseum was aged 60+. They made sure that they got the good seats down low. Anybody under 50 seating on the bottom few rows was made to feel very out of place. The venue changed so many years ago and in the new coliseum, the elderly and infirm seating was the top 2-3 rows of the lower section. No stairs to climb. No elevators to use. Where did all the elderly sit? The bottom 2-3 rows. Only the truly handicapped and infirm sat on the top rows. All the other octogenarians with a spring in their step made it down the steps to the good seats.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The best seat at a convention is one that is not at the convention.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

The "good seats" were taken by the ones with back problems and such. They're off to the side with cots and those lawn chairs designed for laying in the sun.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

The only good seat was at home in my recliner with a really good suspense novel.

Frannie B

• truman
    truman

For my taste, the higher the better. Our family invariably went for the rafters.....right up against the ceiling if possible. Usually is was uncrowded up there, so you could spread out and the kids had plenty of room, possibly even a spot for them to spread a blanket and lie down in the afternoons, if you were lucky. It was usually dimmer up there, so you had more privacy, if you decided to close your eyes as well. You could munch on snacks without getting dirty looks from your neighbors, since most of the other inhabitants were little knots of giggling teenagers, and no one was glancing to see if you were following along in your Bible or WT. Sure the 'actors' in the dramas were the size of ants, but that just made it easier to watch their bad overacting without groaning at the insipid quality of it all. There was air to breathe that wasn't preheated by the jammed together bodies of the crowds down below.

What I really hated, was at a couple of the last conventions I attended, they actually closed off all the upper sections, forcing people to cram themselves knee to chin, in the lower sections, then after the start of the program, and everyone was seated, they began to open up some of the closed areas to accomodate latecomers. That just made me mad!

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82

i always thought my bum was the 'best seat' in the house!! :P kidding!!!!!

seriously, any seat where you didnt have to use binoculars was great in my mind as a kid, sharing one pair between four kids sucked. plus you had to be able to scope out the flowers surrounding the stage so you would be able to pick out which one you wanted to take home with you at the end of the assembly :P

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit