JW message becoming more and more relevant

by lsw1961 144 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

Just in case you have forgotten here are my questions....

Imagine for the sake of discussion that there is no god.

1. Why do you think it would still be wrong to abuse a child?

2. Is it only your faith in an invisible deity and an Iron Age book that stops you being a child abuser?

• johnamos
    johnamos
    How then did we come to feel that it is wrong…I am talking about within our inner-self???
    Is it by chance, just through the evolution process???

I did answer your questions you just were not able to discern them. It is you that did not answer my above two.

Anyway to answer you, NO not just through a book is the basis for stopping oneself from such action (or others actions) it is an inner feeling (conscience) that stops it, a conscience that I believe is there based on being created in the image of Jehovah God. I believe that he is the one that determines what is right and wrong and has the right to do so.

If we are here by chance, just through the evolution process where did that conscience come from???
  • cofty
    cofty
    it is an inner feeling (conscience) that stops it, a conscience that I believe is there based on being created in the image of Jehovah God

So back to the OT where god commands his followers to commit genocide and infanticide and to take slaves from the nations and gives them permission to indulge in kidnap, forced marriage/rape.

Would you have been led by your conscience or by divine command?

Is your question is about the development of ethics?

• cofty
    cofty

Saved-JW. While you are thinking about that dilemma let me explain my previous question more clearly.

I asked you why it would still be wrong to abuse a child even if there was no god.

You answered that it is because we have a god-given conscience.

Can you see how this is circular reasoning?

My question was not "how would you know it was wrong to abuse a child if you didn't have a bible".

It was - why would abusing a child still be wrong if there was no god?

Please have another go at answering the actual question.

• johnamos
    johnamos

Why do you want to resort back to the bible if you don’t believe in it and for this sake I through it out the window…

If I am entertaining the thought of just by chance, just through the evolution process that we are here, then where do we get our sense of right and wrong and who determines it???

There are plenty of men that do not believe in the bible but think it is wrong to be sexual with another men…same with women. But yet those that are gay do not think it is wrong…so being that they are all here through the same just by chance, just through the evolution process…then who is correct to say it is wrong or not???

Apply the same to abortion, murder, suicide, adults having sex with minors, etc…name your evil(if there is evil who can say what is or not, if we are here by chance), who says what is wrong or not if we are only here just by chance through the evolution process???

Adding because I read your last reply after I posted the above-

Anyway I stated that I believe the basis for stopping oneself from such action (or others actions) it is an inner feeling (conscience) that stops it”

Yes I went on to say that I believe that Jehovah is the one who instill such in us…but for this sake there is no Jehovah…so where/why did we get an inner feeling (conscience) that stops stops us??? If it is by chance through the evolution process then who can really say what is right and wrong and how things should and should not be???

And you can see my name is John so the saved-JW address is uncalled for especially being that I am not a JW nor ever was and am viewed by JW’s as an apostate.

• cofty
    cofty

Yes sorry about the "saved_JW" thing I was having a different conversation with him elsewhere.

John you are totally ignoring my difficult questions and its getting embarrassing.

I appreciate you have asked me about the origin of ethics if there is no god. We could write tons about that. Its a really interesting topic.

First we need to show that there is no supernatural source of ethics. Then we can look objectively at where we got our sense of right and wrong. I promise I will discuss that with you as long as you wish and suggest further reading for you.

So first back to the questions you are avoiding.

1. In the OT god commands his followers to commit genocide and infanticide and to take slaves from the nations and gives them permission to indulge in kidnap, forced marriage/rape.

Would you have been led by your conscience or by divine command?

2. Why would abusing a child still be wrong if there was no god?

• cofty
    cofty
    John....?
  • johnamos
    johnamos
    John....?

I do have a wife and do eat dinner! LOL

I don’t know what you feel is embarrassing but what should be is your inability to stop referring to the bible while trying to produce your questions. If you do not believe in Jehovah God (nor in a God) and do not believe the bible is true, then asking if I would have been led by divine command is not an option for me based on following your beliefs.

Also there was no:

god commanding his followers to commit genocide and infanticide and to take slaves from the nations and gives them permission to indulge in kidnap, forced marriage/rape”

:if the bible is fiction and there is no God.

The only questions to ask and answer being that there is no God and the bible is not true are:

If we are here by chance, just through the evolution process, where/how did we get an inner feeling (conscience) that stops us???

If it is by chance through the evolution process then who can really say what is right and wrong and how things should and should not be???
  • Lieu
    Lieu
    I didn't notice you at first, Outlaw. You've figured out how to change your avatar! 😆 Welcome back!!!
  • OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Thanks Lieu..

Yep..It`s a new look for my Avatar..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit