North-Eastern US Blackout

by Lady Lee 66 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

iiz2cool

I was typing as they were saying it on the news. It is logged here as 4:45.

But it also seems there were a lot of false reports of things going on so I don't know

They also said Quebec was affected but we now know it wasn't

Lee

• wednesday
    wednesday
    I'm running my computer off my truck battery.

<<<

insert redneck joke here >>>

well as Charlie Daniels said, country boys (girls) will survive

I vagely rember the 65 blackout but i have seen the movie.

We are so fragile, the lights go out and our world goes upside down.

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

Yipeeeeee I finally have power!!!!!!! Here in New York State we have lost power all night and have experienced rolling blackouts. I am really afraid to go to work and find out what happened to all our computers!!!!! Rolling blackouts are not good for equipment!!!! In our county there are still many people without power and it is hotter than heck!!!!

Now what is silly is how NYS is blaming Canada and Canada is blaming NYS. The most impressive thing that has happened is how well everyone is handling this. In the Northeast we have all learned from 9/11 what is really important. Hope everyone that is posting here is doing ok.

Leslie

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Now what is silly is how NYS is blaming Canada and Canada is blaming NYS.

Great, now I have the South Park "Blame Canada" song stuck in my head.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Not only did the WT presses grind to a halt, but perhaps even worse for them was the disconcerting civility of the NYC populace; minimal looting and lots of calm, proactive citizens stepping into the breach to direct traffic, share rides and looking in on elderly and infirmed neighbors to drop off candles and/or share water...... what's this world coming to anyway?

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I'm in northern NJ, and the power was out here from shortly after 4:00 p.m. until just before 10:00. I had been in Manhattan earlier in the day making some business calls, but, fortunately, was back at my desk in my home office when the lights went out. It was really weird, because they flickered on and off for about half an hour before they went out completely. I wasn't sure whether the problem was in our house, or more widespread, and none of my neighbors were home at the time, so I couldn't ask whether they were having the same problem. Finally, I went out to the car and listened to the radio, and found out what was going on.

My wife wasn't as lucky as me; she works in an office building near the Meadowlands, and she had to walk down stairs from the 11th floor to leave her office. Her hip joints have been giving her some trouble anyway, so she's "home sick" today.

I was 13 when the 1965 blackout hit the northeast, and was living in Massachusetts at the time. The blackout lasted only about 4 hours or so where I was at that time, but NYC was out all night. It was scary, because everyone was paranoid about an atomic attack from the Soviet Union back then anyway. I remember my father running as much water as he could into the bathtub, just so we'd have it if it was a real emergency.

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

even worse for them was the disconcerting civility of the NYC populace

Room 215

Yes, that is terrible news for the WTS. Every main article in the mags uses the first few pages to tell us how terrible things are. Every public talk on any given Sunday will talk about how evil the world is for thirty minutes before we even crack open a Bible. The WTS thrives off of catastrophes.

Now worldly NY'ers getting along during a crisis and even helping each other out? Well friends, I'm sure that I don't have to spell this out for you. But for the benefit of the new ones here, let us reiterate what the Bible clearly tells us regarding this matter.

The cry for 'Peace & Security' is nigh friends. And jehover's day of vengeance is soon. Yes; very, very soon ;P

Winston.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I really notice a difference in people since 9/11 (speaking of the civility of New Yorkers). Even here in Dallas, our notorious road rage appears to be less -- people seem to make way for others where they wouldn't before. I hope this is a trend that will continue!

And I've got the stupid little song "Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?" from the movie of the same name stuck in my head (starred Doris Day, Robert Morse, and some spare macho guy as her outraged husband).

Nina (*trying to hum "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" instead*)

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

When the power went out I called home to tell them only to find out their lights had just gone out, too. While on the phone I remembered that I had an unfinished post to JWD that had been sitting there hidden behind some other windows. I was on a 10 minute power protector on one computer, the other one next to it was also on a UPS that didn't seem to work -- the computer kept buzzing on an off and on and off. I doubt it works today. I sent the post, and had enough time to shut down that computer normally before unplugging them.

Then we walked down the stairway (19th fl) and I headed straight for the 59th St Bridge to Queens. Walked another 55 blocks into Queens and my wife picked me up from Long Island. She got to me after dark, but still found me. (We also took drove another couple people home.) The kindness and civility of everyone was great. Volunteers were directing traffic, and some were giving out water along the way like it was a marathon. When streetlights went out, I saw a couple car dealerships along Queens Boulevard started up cars and aimed the lights out into the streets. A lot of people were picking up hitchhikers and loaning their cell phones. This was a very peaceful emergency -- so far.

Gamaliel

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

For those who were wondering about Bethel:

We are very close to a couple serving at Brooklyn Bethel for over 30 years, and they called us this morning to tell us that their meeting was cancelled last night (Intervale Cong.) The residential buildings do have power for elevators and lights, but have advised residents to not use refrigerators or a/c. The sister told us that they went outside to look and saw literally THOUSANDS of people walking in the streets, trying to get home. Today they are asked to not come into work, only overseers are reporting to work. She said that it was so strange to look out, having power, and see the entire city in darkness. Just thought I'd share this one little story with you.

At Toronto Bethel:

At Bethel, most of the Printery (especially the printing presses), laundry, and other equipment that draws a large amount of power is not operating. Non-essential lighting and computer equipment has been shut down too. On Friday, paper plates were used for meals because the dishwasher could not be operated.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit