John 5:28,29.

by Lost in the fog 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Those NT passages show that they expected these things, including resurrection, to be imminent and would be taking place in their own time, in their own generation.

Daniel was talking about its own time (the persecutions by Antiochus in the 2nd century BCE) while Revelation was talking about the persecution being experienced at that time by the communities listed at the start of the Book.

Regarding the Gospel of John I provide a few thoughts at:

https://jwstudies.com/JOHANNINE_SOTERIOLOGY_AND_CHRISTOLOGY.pdf

Doug

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Hands up everyone who thinks some scribe added "and there was no more sea" at the end of Revelation 21:1πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Just 'Coz it it occurred to him

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Another earthquake in the ring of fire???? Jesus told us to watch for these things?....

uhhhh its called the ring of fire for a reason.... that's is exactly where most earthquakes originate on this planet... the ring of fire... for hundreds of thousands of years....

Shes cute though!

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Matt 24 says not to be concerned when you hear about wars -- these happen because nations fight. It also says do not be concerned when you hear about earthquakes or famines; do not concern yourselves because these are the first pains at the start of a birth.

"You will hear of wars and rumors of wars; see that you are not alarmed; for this must take place, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be famines and earthquakes in various places: all this is but the beginning of the birth pangs. (NRSV)

Instead, the passage warns to watch out for religionists coming in Jesus' name saying they are the "Christs", the "Messiahs", that is, the "Anointed Ones".

"Beware that no one leads you astray. For many will come in my name, saying, 'I am the Messiah!' and they will lead many astray." (NRSV)

Hands up anyone who has heard of people being led astray by the "Anointed".

Doug

• EverApostate
    EverApostate
    @ JoenB75
    EverApostate, Lazarus was not transformed into immortality in John 11 ☺️

Is there sometihing like mortal resurrection and immortal resurrection in the Bible. Anxious to know that

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

Ressurection of Lazarus in John 11 seems to be mortal ressurection. No implication that the ones raised in old testament or by Jesus in the old covenant last days lived forever. Then immmortal change in 1 Corinthians 15:52-53. Probably it is implied that people are raised mortal in Hades (Daniel 12:2, Revelation 20:12) and then changed into immortality. Love your name and cute profile pic, btw

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Contrary to JW JW theology, the Olt Testament saints will have a heavenly resurrection

Matthew 8:10-11 When Jesus heard it, he marvelled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel. 11 And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven.

Hebrews 11: 7-10, 13-16 By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith. 8 By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went. 9 By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise: 10 For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.... 13 These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth. 14 For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country. 15 And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned. 16 But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Notice that Abraham etc. will be sitting down in the kingdom of heaven, meaning they will be rulers/judges.

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

Vanderhoven7, yes that is a curious doctrine. Jesus had not yet become sacrifice, so the old testament sanctified could not go to heaven 😁. I dont know if this was justified by the feeeling the jw victim must have judging the often quite unchristian deeds of the old testament barbarian saints. Nevertheless loved because of election ☺️

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

''If the apostle Paul was right in saying that the righteous on death would be changed in the twinkling of an eye from earthly life to heavenly glory why would there be a future resurrection needed for the righteous? "

NKJV Holy Bible

1 Corinthians 15:50-52

50 Now this I say bretheren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does corruption inherit incorruption.

51 Behold I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed --

52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit