John 5:28,29.

by Lost in the fog 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

The afterlife doctrine of the Israelites changed over time. It was affected by the surrounding nations. At first, the Israelites did not believe in an afterlife. Obedience to YHWH was rewarded by a happy, prosperous life. You may recall the Sadducees did not believe in a resurrection.

Later they changed their beliefs and adopted the doctrine that in the future all the faithful would be brought to life on Earth in fleshly bodies. You may remember that the Sadducees tried to trick Jesus in regards to their question about a woman who was married to all seven brothers. They asked Jesus which brother would be married to the woman after they were all resurrected.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

It’s absurd to the core, to believe in resurrection. Just take one Example:

When Lazarus was resurrected, why did he die again? He should be alive now. Because the Bible says, the wages of sin is death and whoever dies is cleared of their sins.

If Lazarus is still around, that would be an irrefutable proof that the Bible is true.

The Biblical beleif of resurreuction is just as good as the Egyptian belief of an afterlife.

In ancient tiimes, the Egyptians spent a lot of time, Energy and money to build pyramid tombs to support afterlife

JWs and christians do the same now

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

According to the Watchtower the first resurrection began in the spring of 1918 and continues as each anointed one today is raised immediately to heavenly life at death to join those already in heaven.

The resurrection of the earthly class however is future, and will take place gradually subsequent to Armageddon.

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

I support the view that soul sleep was a thing or thang until AD 70 and that Matthew 25:31-45 portrays the meditorial reign of Christ going on from AD 70 until when ever the Son hands over the Kingdom to the Father ☺️. This view has been promoted by various dudes like JS Russell, Ed Stevens and Duncan McKenzie who died recently way too young 😧

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

EverApostate, Lazarus was not transformed into immortality in John 11 ☺️

• johnamos
    johnamos
    Poor girl...

Earthquake in next couple days - YES

In the ring of fire - YES

7.? - NO 5.8

Well she was not correct about the size of it but this happen today...

RIDGECREST, Calif. —

An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 5.8 struck Wednesday in a remote area of central Caliifornia.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/california/story/2020-06-24/magnitude-5-8-earthquake-shakes-remote-central-california

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

It sounds like you don't understand the Bible. Simple as that.

The Jews didn't believe in the heavenly life because it was not taught to them. It was a new thing that Jesus was taught because this going to heaven things would start after Jesus died. So John 5 was about the earthly resurrection.

What Paul said occurs after 1918 when the anointed die, the are immediately raised to heavenly life as spirit beings.

• LV101
    LV101

johnamos - Ridgecrest is very close to so cal - not much over an hr. drive and so cal has these shakers daily. I'm not undermining 5.8 but after Mexico's quake not so unusual since these are common occurrences in area. Were there not quakes or geisers spewing wild in Yellowstone lately - something going on? I recall photos 2 or so wks. ago. Many geologists/seismologists/scientists stay on top of that situation.

• LV101
    LV101

Vanderhoven - always appreciate the WT interpretations as I'm so removed mentally from it -- I'm sure this is not your belief, right? Oops - think I found it/sorry.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

"The hour" in the phrase, "the hour is coming," is idiomatic. It has the same sense in English as saying 'the time is coming.' It is not expressing any particular length of time. Thus, the foretold "last day" is "the time" for all those in the tombs to rise. And it starts at "the last trumpet" which coincides with the start of the day of judgment. (Rev 11:15, 18)

Resurrection, as an idea, is no more nonsensical than is teleportation on the Star Trek series. The idea is based on the theory of quantum entanglement. The NOVA series, The Elegant Universe discussed and illustrated the idea.

With enough memory and power a person (or anything for that matter) could be 'recreated' as it were. The idea of resurrecting a person is not out of the realm of known science. Humans are playing with the idea, but only one particle at a time last I read.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit