John 5:28,29.

by Lost in the fog 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

We used to use this Scripture to show that there was going to be a future resurrection. But recently I got to thinking about it.

If the apostle Paul was right in saying that the righteous on death would be changed in the twinkling of an eye from earthly life to heavenly glory why would there be a future resurrection needed for the righteous?

JWs would say it was for those who will live on the earth, but did any of the people Jesus said that to believe anything about a resurrection to the earth? Trying to make sense of something I haven't thought about for a long time.

Any one clarify this for me please.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7
    28Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
    29And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Well trying to make sense of nonsense is difficult unless "the hour" becomes 100 plus years. JWs believe that the apostles and faithful dead went to heaven in 1918 i.e., the first resurrection began in 1918. That resurrection will be complete within the lifespan of a single overlapping generation.

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

(1 Corinthians 15:51-53) Look! I tell you a sacred secret: We will not all fall asleep in death, but we will all be changed, 52 in a moment, in the blink of an eye, during the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised up incorruptible, and we will be changed. 53 For this which is corruptible must put on incorruption,

v 51 - those who are living at "the end" will be changed instantly from a dying to an undying condition as v 53 shows. Paul says nothing about anyone being transported from planet earth. (The meek will inherit the earth and live forever upon it - according the Bible at least! (Psalm 37:9,11,29; Matthew 5:5; Rev. 21:3,4) If some Christians are headed for heaven, then the org must be right about the 2 classes in Christianity.

v 52 - Those in the first resurrection - believers in Christ - will be resurrected on earth in the same undying condition. (1 Cor. 15:23; Rev. 20:4)

• oppostate
  • johnamos
    johnamos
    Paul says nothing about anyone being transported from planet earth.

[1 Thessalonians 4:15-17…the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a commanding call, with an archangel’s voice and with God’s trumpet, and those who are dead in union with Christ will rise first. Then we the living who are surviving will, ‘at the same time’ with them, be caught away in clouds to meet the Lord in the air; and thus we shall always be with the Lord.]

[Matthew 24:30 And then the sign of the Son of man will appear in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will beat themselves in lamentation, and they will see the Son of man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. 31 And he will send forth his angels with a great trumpet sound, and they will gather his chosen ones together from the four winds, from one extremity of the heavens to their other extremity.]

• johnamos
    johnamos
    JWs believe that the apostles and faithful dead went to heaven in 1918 i.e., the first resurrection began in 1918. That resurrection will be complete within the lifespan of a single overlapping generation.

While that is true they also teach that the resurrection has not even begun yet and will begin with Jesus' Matt 24:30 arrival when the 1,000 years begin...

[John 6:39 This is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose none out of all those whom he has given me, but that I should resurrect them on the last day.]

[7-1-98 WT p.21 par.12 - That “last day” coincides with the Thousand Year Reign of Christ. (Revelation 20:6) Imagine the excitement during that “day” when this grand event begins!]

[5-1-90 WT p.26 par.9 - Martha knew about that hope from her association with Jesus, for she had previously said to him regarding Lazarus: “I know he will rise in the resurrection on the last day. (John 11:24) She knew that the resurrection would be, not on his (Lazarus’) last day, but in the future, “on the last day—Judgment Day, when the dead would be raised under God’s Kingdom rule.]

[12-1-89 WT p.9 - The judgment will take place “in the last day,” during Christ’s Thousand Year Reign.]

• rh3988
    rh3988

Trying to make sense of something I haven't thought about for a long time.

Any one clarify this for me please.

There is nothing to make sense of or clarify. The Bible and other "holy" books and religion are nothing but crap. They do this to people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T-RTJYwkOg

Poor girl...

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It seems to me that Jews of Jesus’ day (or some of them, at least) believed that the dead rest in the grave and await resurrection in the future.

Daniel 12:3 Many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

Daniel 12:13 But you [Daniel], go your way, and rest; you shall rise for your reward at the end of the days.”

John 11:23, 24 Jesus said to her, “Your brother will rise again.” Martha said to him, “I know that he will rise again in the resurrection on the last day.”

• Kosonen
    Kosonen

Jws have not the right answer when the resurrections will occur.

The anointed will start to be resurrected after the fall of Babylon the Great.

Revelation14:8 Another, a second angel, followed, saying: “She has fallen! Babylon the Great has fallen, she who made all the nations drink of the wine of the passion of her sexual immorality!”

13 And I heard a voice out of heaven say, “Write: Happy are the dead who die in union with the Lord from this time onward. Yes, says the spirit, let them rest from their labors, for the things they did go right with them.”

• Kosonen
    Kosonen

But the rest of the righteous will come to life, that is be resurrected after the 1000 years, after those who rebell after the 1000 years are eliminated. Then there will again be plenty of space for them.

Revelation 20:5 (The rest of the dead did not come to life until the 1,000 years were ended.)

Then verse 12 continues: "And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne, and scrolls were opened. But another scroll was opened; it is the scroll of life. The dead were judged out of those things written in the scrolls according to their deeds."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit