I came here three years ago for support and to make friends

by KateWild 75 Replies latest jw friends

• KateWild
    KateWild
    I see the he has already responded in his typical arrogant upper handed bully style. I have had him pegged since the day I entered the forum. Unfortunately his beliefs have not changed from his KH days you WILL see it his way or else he is going to bully you till you do. - Rebel

Thank you for acknowledging my feelings and my pain. I responded a little and sent him a PM. I am only hurt because I thought I had a friend. Others who call me ignorant, dishonest, irrational, or lazy don't upset me at all. To be fair Rebel I know you mean well, but let's not turn into bullies ourselves.

Cofty has just posted he feels slandered, so I will not say anymore on this thread about him. Cofty, I do feel hurt, but I do not want to hurt you. If we stop commenting the thread will die. Let's not get it out of hand and just remain formal in the future.

Cofty, I wish you happiness and success.

The major difference is that online communication tends towards extremities due to the lack of normal social mores that are present when you are discussing something with someone offline. - Oroborus

Yes I totally agree. And if we guard ourselves hopefully we won't get hurt.

• Simon
    Simon
    I challenge Simon to honestly look at people specially females who have recently left the forum, look back at their last post for some name calling. You are dealing with people who already have tender skin this bullying seriously needs to stop. I have seen more then one person refer to this forum as hostile. The same thing can be said without the hostility.

Ah, the old "someone disagreed with me therefore I'm being bullied".

Making a claim of being bullied is not the same as actually *being* bullied. If anyone is bullied then they can let me know and if they are then I will do something about it. But many times people make nonsense claims without facts to back them up and rely on a smear / whisper campaign to try and discredit someone - retaliation for disagreeing with someone? Remind me who the bullies are again ...

I have the same zero tolerance for people making false claims about it as doing the real thing.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Simon,

I was feeling hurt, and you as well as others have given me valuable advice about my recovery and how I can improve some of my skills.

If you want to lock or delete the thread you can in case it gets too heated

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

To be fair, though sometimes communicating electronically seems "less than" face to face communication, there are many people who struggle with social anxiety or feel that their thoughts are best represented asynchronously who are actually better represented as a person on forums than in real life.

When you are an introvert and much of your self is in your head, forums are a real benefit in communicating authentically. Especially across age groups. When you read posts, you are not burdened by snap judgements, including those regarding age. Embarrassingly, I have to say that most of my IRL friends are near my age, and I appreciate the intellectual banter on here that happens across age groups with people I probably wouldn't have much interaction in real life, to my detriment.

Just a little love for forums...

• Laika
    Laika

Hey Simon, sorry to be a pain but did you get a chance to check Katewild's pm? Thanks.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

For the sake of Hades I don't know why you, Kate, got seven dislikes for your first post. But I'm glad to see you're doing better.

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter

Cofty,

Please take this as constructive criticism. You do have some very good post with some very good points. I can also come across very stern at times when I need to in my line of business and my clients understand what is being said must be followed. In other words you do not want to follow my direction I guess my next visit will be with your attorney to figure out how we are getting you out of jail.

But when I am working with the youth groups and the charity organizations I have a totally different way if phrasing what I want to say, that harshness does not work.

You are very brass and bullying when someone does not agree with your point of view. I have seen it on many occasions and out right refuse to post on many threads because I know I have differing points of view and will not put up with your mouth. So what if someone sees or believes different then why do you have to shove your beliefs down their throats.

When you have people who are just exiting a cult or freshly suffering from some sort of abuse they most definitely do not need to be greeted with your attacks. Who gives a care what they believe in as long as it is getting them motivated to get up in the morning moving on with life and making new friends they have just probably lost just about their entire network of family and friends. Let's try to encourage them.

Maybe chemistry and evolution is your thing but for Kate it is Biology and for me it is Finance and Child and women's advocate issues. To each one we do our thing. The WT tries to make EVERYONE the SAME from what I understand. You are in the real world now. We are all individuals we can believe what we choice to believe. When someone post something so state what you believe or this is what science states and leave it at that. Don't become the WT all over again and continually harp on the same point and get into an argument that goes on for days stating the same point over and over. Don't tell me there wasn't enough name calling in that one. I deal with teenage kids who change their belief every ... wait sometimes every 10 minutes it can be nerve racking. That is why sometimes it is important just to listen and not say a word.

I do not think you and I will ever agree on much of anything.

• KateWild
    KateWild
    For the sake of Hades I don't know why you, Kate, got seven dislikes for your first post. But I'm glad to see you're doing better.-village idiot

Lol hahaha. I must say things people dislike. To be honest I never use those buttons I haven't got used to them yet. But I just gave you a like. I need 100 likes to survive Armageddon, so please like my OP.

• cofty
    cofty

Rebelfighter - You know absolutely nothing about life in the cult or the cost of leaving it. Don't presume to lecture those of us who do know on what ex-JWs need or how they feel.

Also don't try to pigeonhole me as being uniquely focussed on science. My posting history contains lots of advice about all sorts of issues faced by ex-JWs. I am extremely proud of the breadth and depth of my posting history.

Your favourite topic seems to be yourself. You are right, the chances of us agreeing about anything is vanishingly slim.

• KateWild
    KateWild
    Maybe chemistry and evolution is your thing but for Kate it is Biology and for me it is Finance and Child and women's advocate issues. - Rebelfighter

Actually chemistry is my thing, I used to be a chemical analyst, but now work for citizens advice, it's an advocacy service in the UK it's nice you want to help and advocate thank you

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit