I came here three years ago for support and to make friends

by KateWild 75 Replies latest jw friends

• KateWild
    KateWild
    Most people you meet online are simply acquaintances, if you're lucky a handful will become good friends... as you've found. - tornapart

Yes indeed I am so lucky and without Simon providing this place it would not have happened. Perhaps one day I could meet you. You have been so supportive whilst struggling with your own battles. I could come to your meeting and be an accomplished pioneer from a different city. No one would know I was out. Then we could go for coffee or lunch. Would be nice. PM me if you're up for it.

• KateWild
    KateWild
    Excellent response - using your disability (?) to point score on the internet. Well done. - Landy

Yes I love point scoring. It's one of my favourite hobbies. I got 100 likes and shares for my comment and you got 50 dislikes. So I am the winner.

I also have other great hobbies too that are almost as fun as point scoring. I go to hopping club on Saturdays and Tuesdays I always use one leg. But some members use two legs which I think is jumping, but it's okay I told the leader and he is making me the hop monitor.

If you want to know anymore about my great hobbies let me know.

• cofty
    cofty

Outstanding use of the victim card Kate - well done.

I know how frequently I post supportive comments to new and troubled posters on the forum and by PM. I have no interest in your approval or that of anybody else. Popularity is not high on my agenda - and yet I find in real life I have lots of friends. In life and on the forum I aim to be authentic. I don't pretend to agree with error, or be amused at things that bore me or approve of things that I dislike. If you need those you interact with to flatter you, I'm not that person.

I have been nothing but congenial and supportive of you Kate. Then you start a science thread in which I respectfully post some facts that were crucial to the discussion. I supported all my comments with verifiable facts and respectfully pointed out when you were being intellectually dishonest. In response you are insulting and condescending to me and everybody else that disagrees with you.

Now you start a new thread characterising me as somebody who has been mean to you. This thread is all the confirmation I need that I was right to keep my communication with you at a formal distance.

I wish you nothing but happiness and success.

• nugget
    nugget

On line is a hard way to get to know people. When we are face to face we see the wry smile when an insult is given in jest. We can see when someone is becoming agitated or heated and change the subject. It is sometimes hard to pick up the same cues when all we have is the black and white. We also don't know the struggles that others are facing that may make them short tempered or intolerant of a point of view that is different from theirs.

Do not worry too much everyone is on their own life journey and a person may go through many transitions as they acquire knowledge that may cause them to modify what they believe to be true. Whilst it may be tempting to try impose an idea on someone else, personal growth needs us to work for our own answers to listen to opinions yes but look at the evidence ourselves and form conclusions. Robust debate that challenges our ideas is helpful providing it doesn't tip over into bullying. I haven't read the posts that spawned this one but carry on your research don't be discouraged be open minded and be excited by the challenge.

Don't judge others too harshly I found that the posters that seemed the harshest in my early months were ultimately the ones that stopped me falling back into old patterns of thinking and made me ask valuable questions.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Ahh Kate, how is it possible you do not see just how well liked and popular you have been on this forum?

Don't be blind to what you achieved here, all in a relatively short space of time.

For many posters here you "had them at hello."

And with all the challenges and limitations internet communication comes with you did make internet "friends" and you did get internet "support" - probably more than most get on here. There are posters of the male variety that have actually been way more gentle with you than they are to other posters -just my observation.

Oh, and BTW I'm pretty sure this place is a business not a charity.

To quote John Mayer "there's no such thing as the real world, just some lie you've got to rise above."

• KateWild
    KateWild
    This thread is all the confirmation I need that I was right to keep my communication with you at a formal distance. - Cofty

Yes again confirming your bias as always. The thing is I didn't know you were doing that so it hurt deeply when the penny dropped. I felt I lost a good and trusted friend. But formal distance it is cofty. I know now and that's good for me.

Don't judge others too harshly I found that the posters that seemed the harshest in my early months were ultimately the ones that stopped me falling back into old patterns of thinking and made me ask valuable questions. - Nugget

Jane, to be fair Angus has been the one of the harsh ones, he has been blunt and to the point, compared with your balanced more socially acceptable manner. Simon is also blunt and to the point. So they have really helped me a lot, and Cedars too is very blunt. I don't expect everyone to want to be friends with me, but I sometimes read people wrong and think they want to be my friend when they are actually communicating at a formal distance.

• KateWild
    KateWild
    And with all the challenges and limitations internet communication comes with you did make internet "friends" and you did get internet "support" - probably more than most get on here. - sparrow

Sorry I missed you in my OP. I do see you as one of my internet friends, you have helped me so much over the years thank you very much

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter

KateWild,

Never a JW nor was any member of my family but was raised in a home with much abuse. So I have remained here on this site because of all the abuse JW children suffer.

I see the he has already responded in his typical arrogant upper handed bully style. I have had him pegged since the day I entered the forum. Unfortunately his beliefs have not changed from his KH days you WILL see it his way or else he is going to bully you till you do.

Here is a poem I put in my wallet when I was 12 years old, I am 65.

"I am I, You are you

I do my thing, You do your thing

I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, You are not in this world to live my expectations

But if we meet it is beautiful."

Debating is one thing, forcing someone to accept your point of view and calling them names while doing so is not debating a topic.

I challenge Simon to honestly look at people specially females who have recently left the forum, look back at their last post for some name calling. You are dealing with people who already have tender skin this bullying seriously needs to stop. I have seen more then one person refer to this forum as hostile. The same thing can be said without the hostility.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

I enjoyed reading your post. My experience is that online is not any different than offline as far having a mix of genuine and insincere people, honest or dishonest ones, "good" or "bad" ones and so on. The major difference is that online communication tends towards extremities due to the lack of normal social mores that are present when you are discussing something with someone offline.

Anyway, I wish you well.

-Eduardo

• cofty
    cofty

RebelFighter - I never call people names or even get close to anything that could be characterised as bullying.

I have respectfully disagreed with you a few times so that makes me fair game to be slandered.

Meekly agree with everything self-appointed victims say or be targeted by the keyboard warriors.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit