God's Word and Modern Man

by TheLiberator 54 Replies latest social humour

• TheLiberator
    TheLiberator

What keeps people trapped in the Watchtower, are the few truths they have. These serve as bars on the cage and the gb know it. Thus, "Where will you go?" Mainstream churches don't have anything in common with those few truths. So it takes some research to see if anyone else teaches similar. But, the differences that I have discovered make what I believe 100% different from the Watchtower.

1) I partake of emblems. Thus, God is my father. Not friend.

2) No one is going to heaven

3) Christ did not preexist

4) Read the Bible literally, unless it is clearly an analogy or it clearly allows for difference (such as creative days)

5) No one is a master of my faith. Conscience matters are just that.

Those differences are huge. If you say they are not, I guess taking a hydrogen atom out of a water molecule is no big deal.

P.S- My point earlier was that no matter what you experienced later as a religious person, you still speak ignorantly. As if you never experienced anything.

• tornapart
    tornapart
    I don't believe that science rejects God. For some it does. One day we might all have the answers. At the moment we don't. Life is for living and enjoying, we can sometimes get too tied up in trying to find those elusive answers, so that we waste our lives trying to figure it all out. I'm not talking about those scientists for whom it's their life's work and who enjoy every moment of discovery... but I'm no scientist, just someone who enjoys learning a little about what someone else has discovered. Beyond that it becomes pointless, where it's all just conjecture.
  • cofty
    cofty
    the differences that I have discovered make what I believe 100% different from the Watchtower.

I was only quoting your own admission that your beliefs were 99% Watchtower. Would you like a link?

you still speak ignorantly

No I speak with intimate knowledge of christianity in theory and praxis. If I ever say anything that is not factually correct please tell me. I don't want to be wrong any longer than necessary.

Those differences are huge

They are trivial.

What is the difference between the JW ransom and the christian gospel? This is the key difference.

• cofty
    cofty
    we can sometimes get too tied up in trying to find those elusive answers, so that we waste our lives trying to figure it all out. - tornapart

I don't do that. I love learning about things science has discovered. I am happy to wait and see about the stuff they don't know yet.

Filling the gaps with faith adds nothing useful.

• tornapart
    tornapart

Filling the gaps with faith adds nothing useful. Maybe not for you but it does for me. Night Cofty, thanks for the debate.

• cofty
    cofty
    Good night tornapart
  • DangerMcDanger
    DangerMcDanger

Saying, "Only people raised under religion are religious," is flatly wrong and also a logical fallacy.

Logical fallacy:

It isn't remarkable that all people taught evolution in schools believe in evolution? Or that the Earth is round? Or that atoms exist? Or the basic principles of mathematics? At birth, we are all born without this kind of knowledge, neutral to it really, but over the course of twelve years we are indoctrinated to believe it to be true. If we were born in 800 B.C., we'd all believe there were only four elements in the world, that the Earth is flat, and the origin of the Earth is water. Therefore, I choose to reject anything regarding science and mathematics that modernism teaches us.

Really, you can apply that point made against religion and use it to debunk every form of knowledge. Yet, there's some double standard for religion that people care about.

On a side note, Richard Dawkins is terrible at trying to be a philosopher, is full of logical fallacies, and makes very shallow arguments. Not an intellectually honest man in the least bit when it comes to religion. Brilliant biologist, terrible thinker in philosophy.

Second, Christianity has a very high conversion rate. There is also a revival of religiosity internationally that has baffled sociologists. In the 80's, sociologists predicted what was called the secular theory, that religion would no longer exist as the world grew more modern. Today, sociologists universally have abandoned such a theory. Throughout history, secularism has always been a trend that comes and goes, but never manages to overcome humanity like it claims it will.

• cofty
    cofty
    I choose to reject anything regarding science and mathematics that modernism teaches us - Danger

And yet you typed that using the fruits of scientific discovery.

Science works. Science flies us to the moon. Religion flies planes into buildings.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic
    I have drawn the conclusion that when God speaks, he is using the language and the concepts of the time.
    -TL

On what bases have you drawn this conclusion? And how do we tell the difference between words written by men and words inspired by a God?

• smiddy
    smiddy

My view of humanity for what it`s worth . Since time began.

I will leave you to fill in the percentages.

Many humans are illiterate ,

Superstitious ,

Easily lead

Gullible

Want somebody else to get them out of their predicament they have brought upon themselves.

Dont take responsibility for their own actions.

Cant , or wont , make a decision for themselves

Trusts or relies on someone else to do their thinking for them , and make decisions for them that they are reluctant to make for themselves.

And to live their lives based on how they perceive others think they should live.

And are quite happy to let others direct how they should live., which in their mind absolves them of any responsibility for any consequences .

And I would suggest a great many religious people fall into one or more of those slots .

smiddy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit