God's Word and Modern Man

by TheLiberator 54 Replies latest social humour

• cofty
    cofty

The god of christian theism values faith.

"without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists" - Heb.11

Faith and evidence are inversely proportional - the more evidence there is that god exists the less faith you need in that proposition and vice-versa.

So how can a christian criticise any other faith-based belief? For example they can protest that all the evidence is against the claims of Scientology, but that just means that Scientologists require more faith than christians. Since faith is a virtue, Scientology wins.

Therefore faith as a basis for belief in any specific god is self-defeating.

• tornapart
    tornapart
    Everyone has to come to their own conclusions. Yes, certain christian religions do criticise other religions but do they have that right? I don't think anyone has the right to decide what someone else should believe, it's a personal thing. Religion is very very wrong to oppress others and inflict their beliefs on others. As for faith, I think it's a very personal thing.
  • cofty
    cofty
    I don't think anyone has the right to decide what someone else should believe

That is just a truism. Of course everybody can believe anything they choose.

I am only interested in what is true. All ideas deserve to be held up to scrutiny.

Don't try to "choose" your beliefs. Consider the evidence, especially the best evidence against your worldview. Your beliefs will eventually take care of themselves.

• TheLiberator
    TheLiberator
    Cofty: One thing is very clear: You were NEVER a Christian. You speak as an outsider to Christianity. You reason like an ignorant person who is clueless about faith. Did you ever meditate beyond the pages of a Watchtower? It is obvious you did not. Reading your words is like reading a science article in the Awake! Total ignorance. You were nothing but a Watchtower slave. Some of us were Christian at heart. We wanted to be Christian, but didn't really know what that meant. Now, some of us became true Christians. You have NO idea what that is. Stop talking like you do.
  • tornapart
    tornapart
    I agree with that too Cofty. When I started out I didn't believe in evolution, now I do, based on evidence. But science can neither prove nor disprove the existence of God. Nor can it give us the answers about abiogenesis.
  • cofty
    cofty

TheLiberator - You could not be more wrong.

I understand why you would say that because it gives you comfort to think that anybody who became an anti-theist was never really a "true christian". It is exactly the same thing that JWs say about apostates.

After I left the cult I was as real a christian as anybody I have ever met. I believed Jesus had died for my sins and I was forgiven and adopted as a son of god. I prayed constantly and immersed myself in bible reading and meditation about "spiritual" things. I got rebaptised, attended church and weekly study/prayer groups, I preached regularly in church with passion about the cross and was certain I would spend eternity with Jesus. Isaiah 53 was my creed.

On an intellectual level I understand christian theology really well. I was a keen student of systematic theologies and commentaries. My bible knowledge is exceptional.

So you can rant all you like but I know exactly what it is I reject.

• cofty
    cofty
    But science can neither prove nor disprove the existence of God. Nor can it give us the answers about abiogenesis. - tornapart

Evidence and reason can prove beyond all reasonable doubt that the god of Jesus does not exist.

Science has made amazing progress on the question of the origin of life. What have you read on the subject recently?

• cofty
    cofty

TheLiberator - A couple of weeks ago you admitted that you were promoting a new religious movement that is "99% Watchtower".

Is that really as far as all your research has got you?

• tornapart
    tornapart

What have you read on the subject recently? Nothing yet... I'm too busy enjoying myself by reading a Jeffrey Archer novel. Sorry!

• cofty
    cofty

So is it reasonable to assert that science can't give us the answers about abiogenesis?

Compared to the millennia when humanity cared only for faith, science has been in the driving seat for a few moments. The progress so far is phenomenal and it's accelerating.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit