God's Word and Modern Man

by TheLiberator 54 Replies latest social humour

• cofty
    cofty
    Cofty: Not true one bit. - TheLiberator

Why not?

Cofty... do you believe that Francis Collins has been indoctrinated? - tornapart

Yes of course he has. Nobody arrives at the incredible claims of christian theism by following the evidence.

• tornapart
    tornapart
    But indoctrinated by what? He started off as an atheist but came to his conclusions after years of scientific research.
  • cofty
    cofty
    He started off as an atheist but came to his conclusions after years of scientific research

It was not science that led him to theism, it was conversations with terminally ill patients and reading C.S. Lewis

• tornapart
    tornapart
    Yes, but only after he felt there had to be something more than just science. Science doesn't answer ALL the questions. There were things he felt science couldn't tell him, he explored those areas and came to his own conclusions. You say he came to his conclusions by reading C S lewis, yet you came to your conclusions by reading Dawkins... (and others)
  • cofty
    cofty
    You say he came to his conclusions by reading C S lewis, yet you came to your conclusions by reading Dawkins... (and others)

My beliefs are based on objective evidence. I have absolutely no place for faith or superstition.

There were things he felt science couldn't tell him

So we live with things we don't know. Why should we expect to know everything?

Pretending to know the answers by filling the gaps with angels and demons is lying to ourselves.

• tornapart
    tornapart
    Who says that faith is pretending to know the answers? It's the opposite. Faith is all about NOT knowing the answers. Science can give us the answers to many things but there are many questions it can't answer.
  • cofty
    cofty
    Who says that faith is pretending to know the answers? It's the opposite. Faith is all about NOT knowing the answers

What a bizarre statement.

If you are prepared to simply say there are things we don't/can't know what use do you have for faith?

The bible says you can't please god unless you have faith that he is.

That is the very definition of lying to yourself.

• tornapart
    tornapart
    Why is believing God exists lying to oneself? In the universe there is order, complexity and precise mathematical formulae. That evidence tells me that God exists.
  • cofty
    cofty

There you go with the usual theist bait-and-switch.

There are things about the universe that science has not yet fully explained, therefore the answer must be supernatural, therefore Jesus.

You have zero evidence for the god of christian theism. The best you have is an excuse for deism.

There is no evidence for the god of Jesus.

• tornapart
    tornapart

I agree

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit