The sky is falling- maybe

by joey jojo 33 Replies latest social current

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

atomant, not sure if you live in Australia, but I know how hot it is where I live and we experience heat waves every year, I don't need to verify with the bureau of meteorology when I see the temperatures on a thermometer with my own eyes every day and walk outside and feel the heat.

I know about the water usage and water control, and that is being mis-directed to mega corps in some cases, but that isn't the whole story. Lack of rainfall is the issue. No rain, prolonged, extreme temperatures equals dried out vegetation.

Bushfires and high temps aren't new, but this is different.

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

Lots of morons commenting.

Oh and by the way, the earth is flat, and we never went to the moon, and aliens killed JFK.

Go back to the Watchtower.

• sir82
    sir82

Here is an article that will (or ought to) scare the bejeezus out of you:

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2017/07/climate-change-earth-too-hot-for-humans.html

Humanity is, quite likely, hopelessly screwed. Not in 12 years, but certainly less than 100.

Not that the problems are unsolvable - the issue is there are too many hundreds of millions of people on earth with similar attitudes to those expressed by some posters on this thread.

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

It boggles the mind that there are still those who think climate change is a hoax. Not sure what it will take to wake them up. I'm sorry for what you are going through in Australia but I have no doubt that crises like that will become more common throughout the planet. Heartbreaking to think of this beautiful planet being devastated by human greed.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Climate change is not a hoax. The hype and solutions are. It has always been in flux .

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

Regarding Australia. The Northern Territories reintroduced fracking which takes millions of gallons of water. Once that is taken out of the system, the result is bound to be dry surface ground leading to drought.

Regarding climate change generally. If evolution is correct then mankind will either adapt or die out (like the dinosaurs) and a new dominant species will emerge. Or not. You can decide for yourselves.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I have lived here in South Florida for over 30 years and when the iconic South Beach flooded, it was a major, and I mean major news event.

Now it happens 3 or 4 times year. The water keeps rising. There is even debate over whether to just buy some areas out and move them to higher ground (at taxpayer expense of course).

For whatever reason, man or otherwise, things are getting warmer. We keep breaking all-time temperature records regularly here. In 2019, we had about 150 days of temperature over 90 F (32 C). Nearly 150 days at or above that temperature when the average is typically about 85 days.

Forecasted high today at the beginning of winter (4 Jan 2020) is 86 F (30 C) which would tie an all time record. Another degree and it is broken.

There may be multiple factors involved, but you can't just keep dumping shit into the air, which retains heat when sunlight hits it, and expect to keep a "normal" environment.

Rub a Dub

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

All moot, really.

Everything is proof the WTS is right.

Even stuff that contradicts the other stuff.

• wozza
    wozza

I live about an hours drive from Adelaide South Australia on the coast and just on the good side of 70 years old .

The fires in Australia are unprecedented in my memory and I have lied in many of the areas affected by the massive bushfires and it is saddening to see the vision of the destruction on the media because I remember what it was before.

I choose to live where I live because of the low risk of fire being beachside suburbia. For decades now our population and wealth has grown as a nation and more people have chosen to live in bushfire prone areas ,so that's a risk. more people more chance of fire etc.

Some people believe global warming is a crock of shit and say so here despite apparent evidence .I won't argue with them because they are'nt experts and neither am I .Pointless.

But I will say that in my relatively short life I,ve seen some changes here including temperatures of 46.6 C ,about 118 F which we had to live thru on the coast not in the desert. This happens regularly now compared to decades ago where we would get hot days, but not that high, and with regularity like now.

I guess alot of us can point to the changes wherever we are in the world ,here in Australia the scientists point three major influences to our weather which includes the Indian ocean cooling at present ,the air over the antarctic and the massive burning of fossil fuels.

Like RUBADUB in Florida and his flooding which is unusual local activity alot of us must notice changes to our environment.

We are'nt getting higher seas here that I recall but that does'nt mean climate change is not changing things in some other part of the world causing floods . I am sure if I lived in Greenland I would certainly see and feel the effects of billions of tonnes of ice melting over decades.

Can we say that the fires are totally caused by global warming? Surely I would be an arrogant prick if I could just come out and say that without absolute proof!

I think we just need to be observant and informed and look at this from all angles we can because this is our and our childrens world ,in our lifetimes we.ve seen the results of polluting and mismanagement and why it happens.

In the meantime theres alot of people here who have to restart their lives and they are thankful to still be alive

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I have young kids and younger nieces and nephews. I am deeply worried about the sort of world we are handing over to them. If they live as long as my grandparents did, Armageddon will be the least of their worries.

Thinking of all Australians, including our relatives, at this terrible time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit