The Fundamental difference between Islam and Christianity

by ILoveTTATT2 80 Replies latest jw friends

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

TD - Spinoza too is in there. But I was just making a quick point as easily as I knew how without going into lots of detail which people are better of doing themselves if the subject is of interest to them. But if it is not of interest or they do not agree, fair enough.

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

Christians have done some bloody horrible things to each other - all in the name of God and the "Prince of Peace", Jesus (e.g. Burnings at the stake, The 30 Years War, The Spanish Inquisition, to name just a few).

It would seem that it matters not what this or that "holy book" says. The only thing that counts is the willingness of its readers to practice what they preach. And in that regard, Christians have had no better track record than anyone else. This irony was not lost on the newly converted "heathens" of the African continent, leading to the following parody of the hymn "Onward Christian Soldiers"

Onward Christian Soldiers, into heathen lands,

Prayer books in your pockets, rifles in your hands,

Bring the gladsome tidings, where trade might be done,

Preach the peaceful Gospel, with the Maxim gun.

As other posters have already pointed out, the marked divergence between Islam and Christendom (which has developed over the last three or four centuries) has little to do with the Bible, and much more to do with other factors.

• cofty
    cofty

Rivergang. Christianity has many crimes in its past but it has grown up. Islam is the slow kid in the classroom.

• theone
    theone

hello I dont still dont get the answer why does the bible have many versions when it is meant to be the book of god. and Simon you fat headed terrorist there are a lot of Muslim terrorists but there ain't 1.3 billion Muslim terrorists.

Relationship with Islam[edit]

Islam shares a number of beliefs with Christianity. They share similar views on judgment, heaven, hell, spirits, angels, and a future resurrection. Jesus is acknowledged as a great prophet and respected by Muslims. However, while Islam relegates Jesus to a lesser status than God — "in the company of those nearest to God" in the Qur'an, mainstream (Trinitarian) Christianity teaches without question the belief that Jesus is God the Son, one of the three Hypostases (common English: persons) of Christianity's Trinity, divinely co-equal with the Father and the Holy Spirit.

Both religions share the belief in the virgin birth of Jesus, his miracles and healings, and they also share the belief that he ascended bodily into heaven. However, Jesus is not accepted as the son by Muslims, who strictly maintain the belief that he was a human being who was loved by God and exalted to the ranks of the most righteous by God. They believe that God is a single entity, not the first person in the Trinity as the vast majority of Christians do. Additionally, Muslims do not accept Jesus' crucifixion. Since Muslims only believe in the worship of a strictly monotheistic God who never assumed human form, they do not accept the use of icons, which they consider shirk (idolatry). Muslim influence played a part in the initiation of iconoclasm and their conquests caused the iconoclasm in the Byzantine Empire. For the same reason, they do not worship or pray to Muhammad, Jesus, or any other prophets; they only pray to God.

Adherents of Islam have historically referred to themselves, Jews, and Christians (among others) as People of the Book since they all base their religion on books that are considered to have a divine origin. Christians however neither recognize the Qur'an as a genuine book of divine revelation, nor agree with its assessment of Jesus as a mere prophet, on par with Muhammad, nor for that matter accept that Muhammad was a genuine prophet.

Muslims, for their part, believe that parts of the Gospels, Torah and Jewish prophetic books have been forgotten, misinterpreted, or distorted by their followers. Based on that perspective, Muslims view the Qur'an as correcting the errors of Christianity. For example, Muslims reject belief in the Trinity, or any other expression of the divinity of Jesus, as incompatible with monotheism.

Not surprisingly, the two faiths have often experienced controversy and conflict (an example being the Crusades). At the same time, much fruitful dialogue has occurred as well. The writings of Catholic theologian Thomas Aquinas frequently cite those of the Jewish philosopher Moses Maimonides, as well as Muslim thinker Averroes ('Ibn-Rushd).

On May 6, 2001 Pope John Paul II, the first pope to pray in a mosque, delivered an address at Umayyad Mosque in Damascus, saying: "It is important that Muslims and Christians continue to explore philosophical and theological questions together, in order to come to a more objective and comprehensive knowledge of each other's religious beliefs. Better mutual understanding will surely lead, at the practical level, to a new way of presenting our two religions not in opposition, as has happened too often in the past, but in partnership for the good of the human family." This Mosque of Damascus is famous for containing the head of John the Baptist.

• theone
    theone

And simon you need to be eradicated from the world you are the real terrorist

• theone
    theone

and let me point out who is dying the most its the Muslims in Syria. Who are dying from poverty. remember

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

Someone is suffering from COVID 19 Derangement Syndrome.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

On the matter of saying other people should be eradcated and claiming connection to Jesus Christ and his Father, the God of Abraham.

(Matthew 5:43-48) . . .“YOU heard that it was said, ‘You must love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 However, I say to YOU: Continue to love YOUR enemies and to pray for those persecuting YOU; 45 that YOU may prove yourselves sons of YOUR Father who is in the heavens, since he makes his sun rise upon wicked people and good and makes it rain upon righteous people and unrighteous. 46 For if YOU love those loving YOU, what reward do YOU have? Are not also the tax collectors doing the same thing? 47 And if YOU greet YOUR brothers only, what extraordinary thing are YOU doing? Are not also the people of the nations doing the same thing? 48 YOU must accordingly be perfect, as YOUR heavenly Father is perfect.

Also

(Matthew 5:38-42) . . .YOU heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye and tooth for tooth.’ 39 However, I say to YOU: Do not resist him that is wicked; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other also to him. 40 And if a person wants to go to court with you and get possession of your inner garment, let your outer garment also go to him; 41 and if someone under authority impresses you into service for a mile, go with him two miles. 42 Give to the one asking you, and do not turn away from one that wants to borrow from you [without interest].

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5
    I dont think religion is something to fight about

The fighting and killing is condoned if not encouraged by the Quran and Islam, that’s the simple point being lost on you.

Islam is just really silly, it’s a stupid set of ideas based on some ridiculous stories, Christianity also, but don’t kid yourself.

Anyone who has the internet can easily find Muslims committing horrendous crimes in the name of Allah, the internet is full of it, IS made a religion out of it. I haven’t seen the vids with heads rolling while the crowds chant “Jesus is great!”

That’s because there are none, the internet wasn’t around when Christianity was a kid, it grew up some time ago in a world before the internet. I do believe we have some photos of it being naughty though..

• theone
    theone

I agree people are committing crimes in the name of Allah. But when Islam was established the Islaamic armies di fight other religions. (Surah Kafirun)

Oh you who turn away
    I do not worship what you worship,
    nor do you worship what I worship.
    And I will not worship what you worship,
    Nor will you worship what I worship.

Your way is yours, and my way is mine. After these verses we were not told to fight other people and force them into Islam. But we are told to invite other people to Islam. IS is still fighting in the name of Islam they bring shame. It is not encouraged in the Quran to fight. The verses came in order. Some have some calls of violence to defend Islam. But the later ones discourage violence. [2:190] “You may fight in the cause of GOD against those who attack you but do not aggress. GOD does not love the aggressors.”GgLt4f1 [2:190] “Fight for the cause of God, those who fight you, but do not transgress, for God does not love the transgressors.”

https://www.parhlo.com/7-verses-of-quran-that-prove-islam-is-a-peaceful-religion/ go here

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit