Did you participate in a Drama?

by Hecce 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Hecce
    Hecce

I am bringing this up because even it was a lot of work, for the majority of the friends this was a rewarding experience. Camaraderie, joking, costumes, props and when the time came the celebrity status of being in the drama.

Back in the 50s and 60s, conventions could be as long as 8 days and from about 1966 the dramas became an integral part of the program. We had one per day and the brothers looked forward to their presentation. Some of them were spectacular, I remember the one about Moses that was called by the friends the “Ten Commandments”; it ran 90 minutes and you needed about a hundred participants. On the same program there was one about the Apostle Paul that was 120 minutes long.

I have been told that during his time at Bethel Raymond Franz was closely involved with the dramas and that after his departure some of the old friends decided to decrease their frequency and relevance. The truth is that little by little they were curtailed and today for all practical purposes they are gone, my understanding is that a video replaced the live representation.

Being honest for sure it was a lot of work and effort, but for the majority it was a fun occasion.

So if you know some internal details about the dramas or were a participant or director, please share your experiences with us.

Thanks for reading

• pixel
    pixel
    Yeap. Lots of work but good memories.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

No but I did remove makeup and a beard from one of the actors. I knew a sister who applied the makeup on the actors. I also remember that he had facial coloring. I still recall that the skin coloring was "Egyptian brown".

It was fun.

• Landy
    Landy
    Being a witness was one long bloody drama.
  • ToesUp
    ToesUp
    Nah...we were never "spiritual" enough to be in a drama. Only good enough to take the speaker to dinner, clean the KH and scrub toilets. We were ok for those priviledges.
  • Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Yes I was in a drama. A modern day one at a football ground in front of 10,000. Lots of rehearsals.
  • compound complex
    compound complex

I participated when a Bethelite, late '60s, early '70s.

I recall the sister, a table mate, who portrayed Ruth and all the in-house derision that followed upon the heels of the performance, particularly the howling and emoting during the scene where Naomi pleads with her daughters'-in-law to go their separate ways. Of course, it was canned dialogue. But the gesticulating and chewing of scenery was the actresses' own.

Friends and I had parts where we played teenage boys. I think we were horny, something to do locker room escapades and the removal of apparel. The only line I remember was one guy saying he didn't think he was a "monster for looks." This was after the major purge over sexually unacceptable behaviors.

Then there was the graphic presentation of Zimri and Cozbi getting run through by, oh, I forget who -- some righteous dude eaten up by zeal for Jah. The screaming of the victims was horrible, but it's in the Bible so it's acceptable.

I'm basically a prude, and it made me cringe, but Bethelites don't say "no" to privileges. Way, way too much fixation with sex . . .

CC

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

I was a little girl when our congregation put on the drama of the Exodus. The entire congregation was involved--either speaking roles or extras--I mean, everyone. We had a couple of rehearsals a week and it was a HUGE deal. But so much fun--so much camaraderie. I have nothing but happy memories. Everyone had a job, and there was real room for being creative, either in doing the make-up or helping with costumes or the acting or whatever. There was a great sense of belonging.

It makes me sad that that is no longer part of the religion, that it's been replaced by videos. Unfortunately, most people probably wouldn't have the time to put into it now. But we did back then--I wonder how?

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Yes, I played a part in three dramas. After I was asked the first time I became one in a kind of "stable" of sisters they would get to do anything drama-ry. They were happy times and it was probably the only times I felt truly useful.

But sad huh.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yep...Lots...

And it was seeing the reality of how things like this took place behind the scenes that has helped many wake up....

The cliques, the holier than though attitude of those involved etc...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit