1975—Were You Affected By What 1975 Was Supposed to Bring?

by minimus 73 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

For years , we were told to wait until 1975!

The end was coming and we better be ready—or else!

Were you around during this “momentous “ time???

• minimus
    minimus

I remember being one of the few who would not suggest the end was going to be in 1975. If Jesus didn’t know the day or hour, how could we??

I remember many talks given telling us that if we didn’t preach this timely message, we would be blood guilty. 🤔

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Sure they even set a date of October of 1975 as being a more accurate calculation to the 6000 years of mankind's existence, just a fabricated lie.

The lying corrupt asshole Fred Franz ,President of the WTS at the time, used this same fictitious dating scheme 30 years previously , which was actually propagated by the previous president of the WTS. C T Russell in the early 1900's .

This particular dating scheme used by the leaders of WTS is a tell tale example of the internal corruption set in this particular religious publishing house.

• Solzhenitsyn
    Solzhenitsyn

Yes. Truly an "exciting and momentous time" culminating into sheer let down that woke many up. Kind of like the internet does today.

So funny how the air at Brooklyn was caustic in 1976 from the failed expectation murmuring, leading to so many asked/made to leave, leading to GB on multiple times insinuating it was a purge from Jehovah. In morning worship, they used the Biblical example of skimming off the "scummy dross", that they in effect knew of the murmuring and intentionally gave it time to rise to the surface.

These memories are like scary clowns peeking out of a port-a-potty.

I need to go find my happy place.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

I like to tell this story to JWs I meet. Personal experience cannot easily be argued or dismissed. The first serious discussion I had with a JW was in 1968. His name was Manfred Groulx. We were graduating at the same time. I was going on to university and asked him about his plans. He told me that there was no time to get a university education and that if I did not become a JW by 1975 I would be destroyed at Armageddon. I told him that he would wake up in 1976 with egg all over his face. I wonder what Manfred is doing today.

• FatFreek 2005
  • blondie
    blondie

Yes, but not the way some may think. I was not on the 1975 wagon because of Matthew 24:44.

44 On this account, you too prove yourselves ready,+ because the Son of man is coming at an hour that you do not think to be it.

I got into discussions (arguments) with jws who were on the 1975 wagon because they felt that if you did not believe the end was coming in 1975 you were not a true jw. At the time I did not know of the previous wagon, 1925. The WTS obviously did not learn from there previous prediction. No one said a word when 1976 or 1977 came around and no end...but there was a 2% drop in publishers for 1977 and 1978.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I was a kid. My aunt joined the JW's because the end of the world was coming in 1975, and she eventually got my mother into it. My mother studied with me and my siblings and my father hated it. My parents divorced, some of it because of the JW's. They almost got back together, but in a drunken state, my father called my mother after midnight when January 1st, 1976 arrived and said "I am still here!" That was all she could take of that.

YADDA YADDA YADDA, I was a kid but became a JW later because of 1975.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I was born in decades before '75, but in 1970 I only took out Term Life Insurance 'till '75, convinced it would all be over by then.

Come the year 1975, I had changed my mind, according to mad Freddie Franz it would all be over by October.

In August '75 I started a Pension that would not pay out for another 40 years.

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

I sure was affected by the 1975 lie. I had an older sister who had passed away. She was 6 and I was 5, and we were very close. We looked so much alike that people often mistook us for twins. I still remember at that tender age what she was wearing while she was laying in her casket. She was wearing a very pretty red velvet dress with white poofy short sleeves, white ankle socks trimmed in lace, and black patent dress shoes, I was not supposed to touch her while she lay in her casket, but I did. Even to this day I still remember how cold her little arm was.

She was the reason mom became a JW, my sister had died in 1974, and our cousin (a JW) told mom that in the fall of 1975 this old system of things will pass away, and if she became a JW, she would survive it and be reunited with her daughter once again. This lie was, in turn, was told to me, because mom was so excited about this. I didn't quite understand at the time the whole concept of Armageddon and the death of the majority of the population. All I knew was that I would soon get to see my sister and that we would get to play with each other once again. But 1975 came and gone, 1976 came and gone, and so on. The sad part was I would remember going to bed and crying myself to sleep for many years after that because I still was missing my older sister. Where was she, she was supposed to be back in my life, but she was still gone. Instead of allowing a child to go through the normal grief, I was fed nothing but lies which kept my hope up, until I had to face the reality of the real truth about the matter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit