2020-Articles Of Association--Bylaws--Notice Of Special Meeting! (as of 2020-11-25)

by Atlantis 104 Replies latest jw friends

• John Redwood
    John Redwood

For those interested in looking at corporate documents for JW congregations in the US, here's a link to just one example of a Maryland congregation which updated its corporate charter in 2006.

https://jwsurvey.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/2006-Parkville-Corporation-of-JWs-redacted.pdf

When you examine page 4, for example, you will see item eleven where the reference is made to the contingency plan in the event Watchtower New York were "not in existence".

This language has been around for a while, which is why I pointed that out over on Reddit.

The reality is that these are not secret leaked documents- they are state corporate docs that must be filed in each state where a title-holding congregation is required to have a corporate charter.

In other words- anyone could have looked this information up quite easily.

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno

The "Boy's club" trying to discredit information that doesn't come from them.

This sentence right here is all you need to know about Mike & Kim. They don’t care about facts or research. All they care about is sensationalism and scoring points against people they despise for no reason other than that of ideology.

• JeffT
    JeffT
    John, can you shoot me a link to your comment? I couldn't find it.
  • John Redwood
    John Redwood
    JeffT

I made some comments over on this reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/exjw/comments/k0mz0c/business_meetings_in_early_december/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

The moderator of reddit asked me to look this post over to see if it was legitimate. That's when I realized that the youtubers were going off the deep end on this subject. I recognized the language used as something watchower has been using for years.

Also, I knew that a large number of US congregations were holding corporation meetings this time of year. In fact I personally was listening into a congregation recently where they announced their annual corporation board of directors.

I think we'd all like to see watchower disappear, but so long as there's millions of members, there will always be corporations to manage their properties and assets. That's just a fact of life whether we like it or not. It doesn't so anyone good to spread wild theories that watchower is on the verge of shutting down corporations when we have no real evidence for it.

That said, watchower is definitely engaging in various shell games and other controversial behavior, and those are the subjects we should be investigating and reporting on, in my opinion.

• John Redwood
    John Redwood

Here's an image of page 4 of a 6 page Maryland JW congregation corporation document- from 2006:

This is necessary language for any corporation that has multiple properties in a national hierarchical organization. First, they have to plan what happens if the congregation corporation is dissolved, then they have to formulate a plan if Watchtower New York is dissolved, altered, or becomes a new corporation.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete
    John Redwood

When you examine page 4, for example, you will see item eleven where the reference is made to the contingency plan in the event Watchtower New York were "not in existence".

That's actually just language that is found in just about every legal document like a "Will"

For example, if a Will designates that certain assets should go to John Doe----"But" -- If John Doe "Is Decease" (or another way of saying, "Not In Existence" ----Then assets should go to Jennifer Doe.

As I mention before, The Watchtower just Can't go out of business.

If a charitable nonprofit winds down operations, the board of directors must distribute all of the nonprofit’s assets to another 501(c)(3) after all debts have been settled.

I doubt very much that the WT is ready to distribute all of its Billions in assets to another non-profit organization. They will always adapt and restructure TO STAY IN BUSINESS. None of the GB can run away with the monies. There are strict laws in the United States that govern non profit organization. (They are just Restructuring as they have always done since the beginning. This might include selling tons of KHs)

• John Redwood
    John Redwood

As I mention before, The Watchtower just Can't go out of business.

Yes, Pete is absolutely correct.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Unless you work with it, you can't appreciated how complex and convoluted U S tax law is. As I mentioned, I'm an accountant. I worked in commercial and multi-family residential (apartments) real estate. When tax time rolled around I got the financials cleaned up and turned them over to a CPA firm that specialized in tax returns. This is extra complex for nonprofits. With something the size of the Watchtower it would take years to unwind. If nothing else you can't just sell it all. In all probability they'd file bankruptcy and the court would appoint a receiver to manage the liquidation.

I doubt very much that the WT is ready to distribute all of its Billions in assets to another non-profit organization. They will always adapt and restructure TO STAY IN BUSINESS. None of the GB can run away with the monies. There are strict laws in the United States that govern non profit organization. (They are just Restructuring as they have always done since the beginning. This might include selling tons of KHs)

They can't sell it to themselves under a new name, either. That is one of the specifics of tax law regarding non-profits.

• slurpee
    slurpee

Love to habe a copy. Thanks Petra

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Jeffro - "...if understand it right is JWs inactive being kicked out of congregation..."

Seems that's not actually what it means, but you know what's weird?

Since I first came here, I've theorized that on some level, the WT leadership would actually like to passive-aggressively DF or DA long-term (and maybe not so long-term) inactives (we're a "security risk", after all).

There has been some mild rhetoric supporting the idea.

Jeffro - "...Can't imagine org wanna suddenly drop what could be 100000s of members. I think they are that many. Think of the donations org will have to do without."

The number's probably even bigger, but don't kid yourself.

Inactives don't donate all that much.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit