Wrong Religion

by Vanderhoven7 71 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

A fortune cookie once advised:

“To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.” —Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

I wonder if he was inspired by the Psalm: “Go subduing in the midsts of your enemies.”? referring to Jesus Christ during his invisible presence. Whatever the source, he was in China at the time when his contemporary Zechariah wrote the words God said to Zerubbabel about 600 years later: “Not by power, not by military force, but by my spirit.”

Interesting coincidences.

• GodBeliever
    GodBeliever

Vanderhoven,

"We are saved

a. in Jesus alone

b. by grace alone

c. through faith alone

d. in His blood alone

6. there is but one hope of the Christian calling and that is reserved in heaven for every believer."

I would add a few things here:

"that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation."

Romans 10:9‭-‬10 NASB2020

In the same way, faith also, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself. But someone may well say, “You have faith and I have works; show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works.” ; You believe that God is one. You do well, the demons also believe, and shudder. But are you willing to acknowledge, you foolish person, that faith without works is useless? Was our father Abraham not justified by works when he offered up his son Isaac on the altar? You see that faith was working with his works, and as a result of the works, faith was perfected; You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone. For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.

James 2:17-‬22‭, ‬24‭, ‬26 NASB2020

What shall we say then? That Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, attained righteousness, but the righteousness that is by faith; however, Israel, pursuing a law of righteousness, did not arrive at that law. Why? Because they did not pursue it by faith, but as though they could by works. They stumbled over the stumbling stone, just as it is written: “Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone of stumbling and a rock of offense, And the one who believes in Him will not be put to shame.”

Romans 9:30‭-‬33 NASB2020

Even though we are saved by the four points you mentioned above, we also need to prove our faith through our works as well as witnessing to others. It has to come from within and doesn't have to be accounted for in front of other people, only before God.

And also we need knowledge in order to believe. And someone needs to pass on that knowledge.

for “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” How then are they to call on Him in whom they have not believed? How are they to believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how are they to hear without a preacher? But how are they to preach unless they are sent? Just as it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news of good things!” However, they did not all heed the good news; for Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed our report?” So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ. But I say, surely they have never heard, have they? On the contrary: “Their voice has gone out into all the earth, And their words to the ends of the world.”

Romans 10:13‭-‬18 NASB2020

I remember reading this somewhere: If people love something they will tend to praise what they love, and then they will want to share it with others in order to feel fulfilled.

• GodBeliever
    GodBeliever

There is a fine line here. If you pursue righteousness through your own works like the Jewish people did you will not attain it. Righteousness it's attained by faith, but once you have the faith you need to prove it by good works.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

@Godbeliever

I'm into salvation by faith alone. If it is true faith it will produce good works. Works do not produce faith. Faith produces works.

Yes, if your faith does not produce good works it is dead and it is false faith and not saving faith.

God knows your heart. You don't have to prove anything to Him.

When God called me at 17, I was trying hard to stop doing things I knew were against His will. I could stop having premarital sex, I could stop getting drunk...but I could not stop wanting these things. Realizing I could not change my hearts desires I called out to God.

God spoke to me right then and there and said clearly to my spirit,

"Rick, it's not what you can do that will make you right with me, it's what my son did at Calvary for you. You can't make what he did more beautiful."

I immediately responded, "God is that it? You mean I don't have to do anything?"

Right then the darkness was lifted from me...and He gave me a heart that desires to serve Him.

Faith works by love. True faith is Christ in you, living His grace in you, transforming the desires of your heart and motivating you to bear fruit of the Spirit.

So as I see it, we are saved by faith alone, faith in Christ alone, by his grace alone, in His blood alone. And true faith works righteousness because true faith is the work of the Holy Spirit in you.

• GodBeliever
    GodBeliever

"Yes, if your faith does not produce good works it is dead and it is false faith and not saving faith.

God knows your heart. You don't have to prove anything to Him."

Remind them of these things, and solemnly exhort them in the presence of God not to dispute about words, which is useless and leads to the ruin of the listeners. Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a worker who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth. But avoid worldly and empty chatter, for it will lead to further ungodliness,

2 Timothy 2:14‭-‬16 NASB2020

And someone came to Him and said, “Teacher, what good thing shall I do so that I may obtain eternal life?” And He said to him, “Why are you asking Me about what is good? There is only One who is good; but if you want to enter life, keep the commandments.” Then he *said to Him, “Which ones?” And Jesus said, “You shall not commit murder; You shall not commit adultery; You shall not steal; You shall not give false testimony; Honor your father and mother; and You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” The young man *said to Him, “All these I have kept; what am I still lacking?” Jesus said to him, “If you want to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.” When the disciples heard this, they were very astonished and said, “Then who can be saved?” And looking at them, Jesus said to them, “With people this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

Matthew 19:16‭-‬21‭, ‬25‭-‬26 NASB2020

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Hi Godbeliver,

Jesus knew what the rich young ruler's problem was. He was a Jew under the law, but he was not keeping the law. Jesus could have said to him follow all of the 613 laws that apply to you and you will have eternal life.. He could have said as Paul said, if you are under the law and break one command you are guilty of all.

No one ever obeyed every single one of God’s laws...except Jesus. The Rich young ruler's main problem was idolatry, he had a god before God. Even full obedience to the law could only take one so far. Sins were covered over but not removed until the perfect sacrifice was made at Calvary.

Obey the commands perfectly and you will live. Jesus was telling him to do the impossible and he would live. The law was designed to bring us to our knees in hopelessness. That's exactly where I was at 17.

Good works demonstrate that our faith is genuine, but they do not save us or contribute to our salvation. God does not want Christians to be wondering if their works are ample enough to secure His approval and salvation. There is no joy in that. Let me ask you Godbeliever, do you know you are justified before God right now? If so, based on what?

https://youtu.be/Ymkl0t0FOcw

• GodBeliever
    GodBeliever

Vanderhoven,

a. Jesus alone

b. by grace alone

c. through faith alone

d. in His blood alone

You identified correctly in your 4 points how our salvation comes. However, if anyone willingly submitting God's will he/she will receive "His name and the name of His Father written on their foreheads."Revelation 14:1, and become a minister of God. Paul mentioned that once you join God's kingdom under Christ you enter a fight against evil invisible forces. When anyone enter an organisation he /she is expected to serve that organisation accordingly.

Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.James 1:12 NASB2020

And they overcame him because of the blood of the Lamb and because of the word of their testimony, and they did not love their life even when faced with death.

Revelation 12:11 NASB2020

For no one can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, or straw, each one’s work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each one’s work. If anyone’s work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. If anyone’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet only so as through fire.

1 Corinthians 3:11‭-‬15 NASB2020

“Therefore, everyone who hears these words of Mine, and acts on them, will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and yet it did not fall, for it had been founded on the rock. And everyone who hears these words of Mine, and does not act on them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. And the rain fell and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and it fell—and its collapse was great.”

Matthew 7:24‭-‬27 NASB2020

For this reason it says, “Awake, sleeper, And arise from the dead, And Christ will shine on you.” So then, be careful how you walk, not as unwise people but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.

Ephesians 5:14‭-‬17

Therefore, my beloved brothers and sisters, be firm, immovable, always excelling in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.

1 Corinthians 15:58 NASB2020

“For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire laborers for his vineyard.

Matthew 20:1 NASB2020

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Yes, justified by grace through faith in Christ's redeeming blood as a free gift of God...but rewarded for works.

All Believers in Christ are now Justified

John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

Acts 2: 38-39 Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. "For the promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off, as many as the Lord our God will call to Himself."

Acts 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

Acts 13:38-39 38 Therefore let it be known to you, men and brothers, that through this one forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. 39. And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

Romans 3:21-26 21 But now God has shown us His righteousness; the law and the prophets tell us about it...God's righteousness comes to all who believe, just by their believing in Jesus Christ. There is no distinction. All have sinned and are without God's glory. They become righteous by a gift of His love, by the ransom Christ Jesus paid to free them. God set Him up publicly to pour out His blood before God to take away sin through faith, to show His righteousness...Now He wanted to show His righteousness, to be righteous Himself and make righteous anyone who believes in Jesus. (Beck)

Roman's 5:18 Therefore by the offense of one judgment cam upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

Romans 8:30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified. (All Justified will be glorified)

Hebrews 9:12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by His own blood, He entered the holy place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

The problem with being one of the Watchtower "other sheep" is that there is no assurance of salvation. Why Not? Because their salvation is dependent on their performance including their loyalty to the Governing Body of a printing company. Forget the fact that salvation is redefined as surviving Armageddon so they can work for 1000 years for the Watchtower Kingdom, pass a final test and acquire the reward of salvation.

No assurance based on the work of Christ to forgive sin; no their death pays for their sins anyway. Does Christ pay for their sins or does their death pay for their sins?

Comparing James with Paul on justification

James writes: Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? James 2:21

Paul writes: What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found? 2. For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God. 3. For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. Rom. 4:1-3

How can we harmonize James and Paul on the subject of justification?

It is critical to note that Abraham was justified by faith before God not only prior to the giving of the law but also prior to offering Isaac on the alter, and actually even before Isaac was conceived. Genesis. 14:6

The solution then is that Paul was talking about justification before God, while James was talking about justification before men. Show me thy faith by thy works,” says James, “let thy faith be justified in the eyes of those that behold thee by thy works;” but Paul speaks of justification in the sight of God, who justifies those that believe in Jesus, purely on account of the redemption that is in him.” Thus we see that persons are justified before God by faith, but faith is justified before men by works.

CONCLUSION: Genuine faith is invisible to all but God. Visible works alone can demonstrate to others that a person is truly justified. Works alone can attest to whether faith is genuine i.e., saving or justifying faith. However works are not the basis of salvation but rather the product of salvation.

AND by the way preaching a false gospel is not a good work and earns nobody salvation or a reward.

• GodBeliever
    GodBeliever

Nobody works for Watchtower. Watchtower was just as publishing Corporation and faithful people used it for preaching the Gospel. Nowadays it seems that God permitted to fall into the evil slave hands . We are loyal to Jehovah and Christ only because we are :"looking only at Jesus, the originator and perfecter of the faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God" and also "For you have not come to a mountain that can be touched and to a blazing fire, and to darkness and gloom and whirlwind, But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to myriads of angels, to the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, and to God, the Judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous made perfect, and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood, which speaks better than the blood of Abel.

Hebrews 12:2,18‭, ‬22‭-‬24

Even if the other sheep war not given " clothing of fine linen" as the 144000 they can stay before God. "Then one of the elders responded, saying to me, “These who are clothed in the white robes, who are they, and where have they come from?” I said to him, “My Lord, you know.” And he said to me, “These are the ones who come out of the great tribulation, and they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. For this reason they are before the throne of God, and they serve Him day and night in His temple; and He who sits on the throne will spread His tabernacle over them.

Revelation 7:13‭-‬15 NASB2020

I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have placed before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. So choose life in order that you may live, you and your descendants, by loving the Lord your God, by obeying His voice, and by holding close to Him; for this is your life and the length of your days, so that you may live in the land which the Lord swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, to give them.”

Deuteronomy 30:19‭-‬20

By constantly obeying God they can live through Christ blood.

Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge, and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness, and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love. For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they do not make you useless nor unproductive in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. For the one who lacks these qualities is blind or short-sighted, having forgotten his purification from his former sins. Therefore, brothers and sisters, be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choice of you; for as long as you practice these things, you will never stumble; for in this way the entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will be abundantly supplied to you.

2 Peter 1:5‭-‬11

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit