Facebook Meme made me angry

by Seeking agape 31 Replies latest jw friends

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Nice work oppostate. No one had said anything to me yet, but I think there are very few jws left on my ig or Facebook and the ones that are either regard me as worldly or are just cool and are the type that would post support themselves.
  • Watchtower-Free
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade

It reminds me of some of the strong feelings that woke Daniel Genser up in his now (exjw) famous article.

I started noticing a huge disconnect between the attitude of my fellow Jehovah’s Witnesses, and the content of the Bible itself, with regard to social justice issues. At every turn I felt like I was being tone policed by the JW doctrine of political neutrality, even though the Bible showed tons of examples of righteous indignation over the social conditions in Israel…
    … I slowly came to realize that the combination of the doctrine of political neutrality and the belief that God will imminently and miraculously solve all the problems of humankind in a New World System after the war of Armageddon allows JWs to casually dismiss any social ill they see in the world as unfixable– even if the ill is eminently correctable through human effort and leadership.
    I started to find this disempowering ideology, which prevents JWs from accepting their responsibility for the part they individually play in creating, contributing to, and helping to fix the social problems, to be repugnant and infantilizing. The ideology teaches passivity — blame Satan, and pray that Jehovah miraculously fixes everything soon.
    As a JW, I was living a life deferred, projecting forward all my hopes and dreams into a future paradise in a New World System in which God fixes everything, and humans have no ability to even attempt to solve their own problems.

• Magnum
    Magnum

"We know that we originate with God". How smug and presumptuous and self-righteous. And how do they know it? If it's so easy to know, so obvious, so easy to prove, then please prove it to me.

Many are ignorant of their own doctrine, they can't back up the part of it they know about, they are ignorant of their crazy history, they have falsely predicted for over 100 years, etc., yet they know they originate with God.

• steve2
    steve2

Seeking agape, no you are not overly-sensitive.

JWs seize upon every opportunity to promote their product.

They love to score points.

They love to be right.

They either purposely or naively misjudge situations by blithely and insenstively scoring points whereas others in those situations simply express empathy and compassion. Talk about JWs shows of religiosity.

Oh, JWs are not alone in this deplorable tendency to promote product over showing fellow feeling and decency. I have noticed this tendency to promote product among those with fundamentalist religious outlooks.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

That blog is one powerful piece of work.

I would love to know how they are doing if anyone knows.

Edit Agape I feel the same way, always had issues with this attitude.

Who said "If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem"

• Divergent
    Divergent
    There was a time when being on Facebook / other social media was frowned upon & considered to be worldly. However, it didn't stop people from using it & now, even zealous JW's are on it too! How ironic!!!
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Wow!

sickening indeed!

but what can you expect from people who LOOK FORWARD to mass destruction of the worlds population!

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I posted the MEME below, on an earlier thread whose topic was discussing the recent attack on Paris. I had remarked on how impressed I am with those who are willing to help strangers and how they seem to come out of the woodwork in times of disaster. People will rush into burning buildings to help perfect strangers (think 9/11) and this weekend in Paris, people went on social media and were "tweeting" offers of cups of tea and places to stay, to anyone who found themselves stranded with no where to go, when the bombings took place.

It made me think back on my upbringing as a JW and the "them vs us" mentality which although was never said outright, fostered the idea that we didn't really need to help anyone else but JW's. Our help to the world was offering them the literature and that was enough and any other kind of help was virtually like putting a Band-Aid on Cancer.

Between that and waiting on Jehovah to solve everything, it was easy to rationalize inaction on my part with regard to charitable works. That's something I've changed since leaving off associating with the folks who claim to love their fellow man yet think it's normal to use every available public service out there but neglect giving back anything in the here and now, to the communities they are a part of.

• Saintbertholdt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit