What are some of the weird teachings of Jehovah's Witnesses, past and present?

by Vanderhoven7 42 Replies latest watchtower bible

• St George of England
    St George of England

Prior to Adam & Eve being tempted in the Garden of Eden, snakes had legs just like lizards. However, because of his actions the snake was cursed and told he would "crawl on his belly" forever. The book "The truth shall set you free" has a picture of the snake with legs talking to Eve.

George

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    MrRoboto19 hours ago

why is there no way to comment back on a specific comment? they all go to the end for some reason..?

like this.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

and why is there no way to jump to the top ? i cant even do it with the home key.

• surprised2bhere
    surprised2bhere

Going back to when it was said that each creative day was.7 thousand years long. I remember being quite young and realising there was NO basis for this belief. If only I had woken up then. It was really the basis of 1975. That thousand year reign would nicely finish off the Sabbath day after 6000 years of human existence. Don't think the teaching was rescinded, just casually.replaced. Anyone know.when?

• jhine
    jhine

Mr Roboto so they don't practise theological warfare ( lying ) any more ?

Jan

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Mr Roboto so they don't practise theological warfare ( lying ) any more ?

Jan

Sure. It is new lie(t).

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

Going back to when it was said that each creative day was.7 thousand years long.

this was a key problem for me--in the 60's I remember asking DO Ron Drage about it--he merely replied its all in the publications.

fast forward to 2010, when i first discovered this whole world of ex jw's ( i had been totally out for 30+ years by then)...the first thing i asked about was the 7000 year creative day..only to find out it had been quietly dropped in those intervening years.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Weird, I cannot beat dinosaurs on Venus.

But I will stick with current beliefs.
    The Bible condemns birthdays.
    Blood transfusions are equivalent to eating blood.
    Members are encouraged to turn in other members for interfaith if they celebrate a holiday or visit a church and also turn them in for sin if they go to R-rated movies or smoke a cigarette (one of the worst sins).
    Buying Girl Scout cookies is supporting a paramilitary organization.
    Various Bible verses that are inconvenient to their teachings are "symbolic" and others that help their doctrine are "literal" but they don't have a way for anyone to know the difference, so you will just have to accept their decisions.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Are ex JW`s here aware that 6000 years of human existance on earth ending in 1975 was preceded by an earlier timeframe of 6000 years ending in the late 1800`s ?

Something to do with a calculation error of some prior bible scholar ? or some such thing ?

It is recorded in one of their publications somewhere .

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

It should disturb JWs when they read the April 1, 1967 Watchtower p.197

It's interesting to see that over 50 years later, Governing Body member Stephen lett, said exactly the same thing on JW Broadcasting:

(57 seconds in length)

https://youtu.be/GVHxU06VTkA

This is a difference of over 50 years. Who's to say this won't be repeated again in another 50 years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit