What are some of the weird teachings of Jehovah's Witnesses, past and present?

by Vanderhoven7 42 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

I just picked up a few from Mark Jones as follows:

I see is that the vast majority of JWs don't seem to understand what their religion actually teaches.

The more controversial or embarrassing doctrine - although still official doctrine that has never been rescinded - is just not talked about anymore in the magazines. Such as:

Treat Him Respectfully - The intended victim should remember that the rapist is a human. No doubt there are circumstances in his life that have precipitated his behavior. So although a woman should not cower in fear and permit a rapist to intimidate her, at the same time she should treat him understandingly, as a fellow human. - Awake! 22 Feb 1984[2]
    • Whether to own a pocket calculator is a conscience matter that a Christian should weigh.[3]

• You should kill yourself rather than have your tonsils out.

"If any overzealous doctor condemns your tonsils go and commit suicide with a case-knife. It's cheaper and less painful." - Golden Age 1926 Apr 7 p.438

As I said, these teachings have never been rescinded. Therefore, they’re still official doctrine of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Crazy, no?

If the governing body of Jehovah’s Witnesses were open and honest about what their religion actually teaches you wouldn't have JWs embarrassing themselves by giving contradicting answers which means I have to step in and school them all by showing them their own literature.

You know, like a cult?

Footnotes

[1] https://www.reddit.com/r/exjw/comments/2fowhx/dinosaurs_on_venus/

[2] https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101984128

[3] https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101976646

[4] Mark Jones's answer to What do the Jehovah's Witnesses believe?

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

"What, though, if one mate wants or even demands to share with his or her partner in what is clearly a perverted sex practice … perverted acts, such as oral or anal sex, within the marriage …” Watchtower 1983 Mar 15 p.31

• MrRoboto
    MrRoboto

While I would agree, that's some crazy stuff - I disagree with the postulate that an unrescinded teaching is a current teaching. Only stuff that is currently taught would be a current teaching. Just ask anyone under 30 about the "it's not a lie if they don't deserve to know the truth" teaching - they likely will have no idea what you're talking about and if they do, they are on their way out (even if it takes a few more years)

There's tons of crazy stuff from the earlier days that's never been rescinded but noone would think they are current.

Having said that, I like seeing stuff like this, there's tons of bat-shit-crazy nonsense to share on this topic. I will say though that the 1984/rape thing is close enough to current to make anybody gasp even if they're still full in.

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

Aluminum is the devils metal, God lives in the Pleiades, Vaccines are horse puss, Abraham Isaac and Jacob will come back to life in 1925 and need a mansion in San Diego to live in and two 16 cyl Cadillac's, The pyramids of Giza interior passage ways when measured can predict the end of the world, Jehovah made the pyramids of Giza, Women are a hank of hair and a bag of bones,

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    • If someone tries to rape you, you must treat them with understanding.

an ideal opportunity for incidental witnessing.

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

I would hardly call that reference to dinosaurs living on Venus a "teaching", and I agree with MrRoboto that just because something hasn't been rescinded doesn't make it a current teaching. But as MrRoboto also says, there certainly has been a lot of bat-shit-crazy stuff published in Watchtower literature over the years. And some on this forum still appear to believe some of it..

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

I have collected many of these over the years, but I think you would all tire of them very quickly if I put many more up.

• carla
    carla

The old 'Quotes' site used to have a lot!

MrRoboto, I thought that if new light has not been published on a subject the old light still stands? Naturally this does not include the blinking light on many subjects. If the r & f can pick and choose which old light they no longer believe how does this make them different from the 'churches' who allow their congregations to have freedom of thought?

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

It's the teachings that have nothing to do with the Bible that always bring the biggest shock value.

• If a woman doesn't scream for help while she is being raped it means she consents and has committed fornication.
    • Demons made dinosaur bones to get people to believe in evolution.
    • If you are sick take and air bath, which includes jumping up and down.
    • Eternal life is dependent on loyalty to 8 men who are neither inspired of God or infallible.
  • Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Great stuff guys. I seem to remember one about the size and shape of ones brain being a factor of intelligence or spirituality. Something like that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit