THE SHADOW OF 75 still hangs over us all . . .

by Terry 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• Terry
    Terry
    Few of your are old enough to have been there, I suspect.
    I had been in prison two years as a JW conscientious objector when the exciting news about 1975 spread like wildfire.
    I was paroled from prison in 1969 and immediately began Pioneering. The pressures began mounting throughout the organization. You could only conduct a Bible Study for six months. If your study didn't get baptized--you had to cut them loose; time was too precious to waste!
    I married and had little kids to worry about feeding on minimum wage from a part time job. It almost gave me a nervous breakdown. So, I moved the family from Fort Worth to California.
    I met non-JW's who were much nicer and more caring about me and my family than the Witnesses. Everybody was relaxed and enjoying life.
    I suddenly woke up!
    And then. . . it got very quiet.

Then. . .It was over.

The word you are looking for is a short and simple one: STUNNED.
    Dubs were simply stunned.
    Why?
    Their religion had suddenly been tested for truth and proved FALSE.
    Stop and think about that for a second. It was like your Mom and Dad suddenly telling you that you weren't their kid--you were adopted.
    It was like finding out your best friend was a serial killer.
    People were heartbroken, shaken, upset and finally depressed.

But, what happened next was truly terrible!
    You know what it was?
    Of course, you don't--not unless you were there.

Instead of an angry mob of disillusioned JW's demanding a hearing and statement of accountability they just shut up and shrugged and went about their business like good little robots!

Did you ever see a documentary about the Holocaust when Nazi soldiers marched a group of condemned Jews to an excavated trench and had them kneel down next to that empty pit? A soldier with a pistol went one by one and shot them in the back of their head while the others down the line waited and waited. . .
    Did you ever wonder why they didn't try to run or all rush the soldier and stop him?
    Well,l folks, it was that sort of resignation.

JW's were defeated, dispirited, and depressed and they just gave up.

Those people have swallowed the whole thing and shit it out and flushed it away like it never happened.
    There. That's your answer.
    Cognitive dissonance.

My wife became an alcoholic.
    She died coming home from a bar, drunk--chased by cops because she had been stopped and her driver's license had already been taken away.
    She tried to escape and drove off at top speed and crashed into the back of a parked car.
    This was the legacy of the religion she so loved and trusted and believed for so long.

The shadow of 75 still hangs over us all . . .
  • ToesUp
    ToesUp

Wow Terry, that is a very powerful post. I was little when 75 happened so I don't remember much. It's interesting to hear it from someone who was there.

What an impact all of that must have had on your life. I am so sorry to hear about your wife, that is tragic. Also, you having to go to prison. Wow. I am truly sad and sorry you have been through all of this. You must be a very strong man. I admire your strength.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Yea Terry, 1975 I was there also! You pretty much summed it up very concisely. Stunned! Demoralized! And the hardest part for me was the almost unanimous unwillingness to even talk about what didn't happen.

I served 18 months in Stafford AZ. Got out in late 1969. Pioneered until the first child came along. Appointed as an elder in 1972 at age 23! lol Worked my ass off for the borg to the detriment of my very young family. Skipped university training and good career opportunities because the 1969 Awake mag told us all that; "if you are a young person, you will never grow old in this system". lol

My wife didn't start drinking after the 'big disappointment' but she did leave me in 1977 to 'test drive' other men. Can't really blame her for everything that happened. She was definitely neglected along with my 2 children. I was too busy doing god's work for the borg!

We got back together and even tried to get re-energized in the troof. It worked for many years but the last decade I have been mentally out and now very seldom go to any jw functions. When I do go, it's so my wife of 49 year won't have to go alone. Learning ttatt gave me some sort of life back and I'm enjoying everyday away from the borg.

I love your posts and hope you continue.

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

I was there and went through it. You put it perfectly Terry! Like ostriches, we just stuck our heads back in the sand.

HappyDad

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The fact that many people stayed within the JW organization in spite being suspecting of being manipulated and deceived tells a tale within itself.

After 1975 came and went the engaging power was still there for Elders, CO's , DO's , Branch heads right up to the GB .

Power and money has a way making things seductively corrupt, apathetic and dismissive to occurring social problems toward others..

Unfortunately the lies and corruption still exist in the GB members of the WTS. today and these men are intent into hanging on to what the previous past GB members had acquired.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    I was much too young to remember 1975. But I still hear outrageous comments from JWs that 1975 was a ''cleaning-out'' process to separate the wheat from the weeds. Maddening.
  • watson
    watson
    Every year for about 10 years after that, we all thought, "we are just that much closer to the great tribulation. Stay determined! To the end!" Then things like "generations" started changing....
  • zeb
    zeb

I recall the '75. But I had ever held to the words of the Christ "No man knoweth the day nor the hour..etc" and I always believed the wts was going too far setting dates (years) etc. Investigate the t? No I was too busy raising a family and paying a mortgage.

I too faced prison as a conscientious objector but was told by elders not to say it (my stance) was their instruction but my own mission. This "was your idea" thing came up in later years too. It also came up in Malawi when the jw there were told by the branch to refuse to carry party cards (ID cards) but the GB said later it was the "brothers choice".. believe me friends this is truth.

The gb should be charged with crimes against humanity.

• The freewheeling
    The freewheeling
    The reason most JWs "swallowed the whole thing" was because the governing body manage to revive and boost the GENERATION HOW WILL NOT DIE. Just a short while after 1975 most of the disappointed JWs had jumped on this "Generation train" instead. That was a better train for the governing body because it was a little bit slower and gave them more time. And when that train also crashed in 1995 the governing body had done their job and imprinted that 1975 was not their fault but individuals false expectations. After that, after a wile, they ended up on the "overlapped train", now rolling on, although it is squeaking and cracking alarmingly here and there, also ready to crash anytime...
  • Sledge Hammer
    Sledge Hammer

Oh, I remember well. I still see myself, an eight year old girl, standing alone on the schoolyard in the cold of winter 75.

Every day in fear and with the thoughts, if Harmagedon begins now, I'll run at home, as fast as I can.

Luckily nothing happend. I also do remember the elders wifes words (who had fished my family), that we've got nothing to complain. We should think of those ones, who sold their houses and gave up everything. That all made me very confused.

The worst thing for me after that was, that I had to destroy my book (I don't recall the title, it was orange with golden letters), a kind of 'My book of Bible Stories or Paradise Book'. It was the only book for children at that time.

With an instinct of a child I realised, here's something very, very wrong going on.

After that we've never spoken about the year 75.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit