THE SHADOW OF 75 still hangs over us all . . .

by Terry 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• smiddy
    smiddy

Terry

I often wondered about those who were imprisoned as a conscientious objector .Did you have family who were J.W.`s and supported you ? Or were your family not J.W.`s and wondered about your decision .?

How did you cope with your imprisonment for 2 years ? Obviously you were still a firm believer , after coming out you went and pioneered .

We had conscription in Australia and if I had not been balloted out as I was because of my Birth date ,I would have faced a similar situation I guess.

About that time I remember reading in the society`s publications about our Greek brothers who were imprisoned for 5 years , and when they came out and still refused military service were sentenced for another 5 years ,and another 5 years after that , in one case that I remember .

I often wonder if any of them are still around or post here , that is so tragic.

Thank you for this post.Terry

smiddy

• Terry
    Terry

I often wondered about those who were imprisoned as a conscientious objector .Did you have family who were J.W.`s and supported you ? Or were your family not J.W.`s and wondered about your decision .?

How did you cope with your imprisonment for 2 years ? Obviously you were still a firm believer , after coming out you went and pioneered .

None of my family were JW's, nor were they churchgoers. They thought I was insane. They were right :)

My Mom and Stepdad drove once a week from Ft.Worth to Seagoville to the Federal Facility for visits. Of course, I spent that time witnessing to both of them!

At one point in prison, there were about 40 of us (J-Dubs) in for the same thing. We had formed 2 congregations and had 5 meetings a week.
    I began studying with a small group in a private study with a brilliant Brother named Tollie Padget. We went through all the old publications in depth and began learning the "deeper things."

I would sneak into the Catholic rectory when the rest went to eat at the Mess Hall. Why? There was a grand piano in there. I had always wanted to learn how to play. So, instead of eating, I taught myself piano.
    Every inmate is assigned a work detail for the purpose of keeping the Federal facility as self-sustaining as possible. I was assigned to the Construction crew which was not aptly named. We broke down old walls and smashed the bricks into tiny bits, we excavated roads, flipped hundreds of bags of cement; grunt work is what it was.

(Note: That isn't my face on the cover. That was the first drawing I ever did when I was High School.
    I chose that drawing because my ability as an artist is what really led me to break away and seek a career in California instead my janitor job in Fort Worth earning minimum wage.)

It took me a helluva long time, but I finally wrote the whole story in my book. You can find it on Amazon.

"I WEPT BY THE RIVERS OF BABYLON (A Prisoner of Conscience in a Time of War)

http://www.amazon.com/Wept-Rivers-Babylon-Prisoner-Conscience/dp/1492902063/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457199368&sr=8-1&keywords=I+wept+by+the+rivers+of+babylon

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit