The paranormal.

by Lost in the fog 68 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

If you include in the "paranormal" such things as Unidentified Flying Objects (UFOs), Ball Lightning and the Min-Min lights of Outback Australia, then perhaps the paranormal is not necessarily "magic".

Similarly, the fact that such phenomena defy the currently understood laws of physics does not necessarily prove that these are bull$h#t, either.

Several years ago, while attending a seminar on lightning protection, I had opportunity to ask a university lecturer what exactly ball lightning was. His answer, an "unexplained phenomenon that has been puzzling researchers for centuries." Furthermore, until about 100 years ago, all reportings of ball lightning were treated as mere bull$h#t. Then, however, somebody managed to capture ball lightning on a movie camera. After that, researchers had to treat this phenomenon seriously. Some characteristics of ball lightning are uncanny. For example, its ability to come through a closed door without causing any damage has been observed repeatedly (although the one and only example of ball lightning that I observed caused widespread destruction in an adjacent electricity substation, after missing our house by less than 100 metres).

While many UFO sightings have been either inconclusive or disproven , you do have instances such as the Kaikoura sightings in New Zealand during the time period December 1978 - February 1979. Night after night, the Air New Zealand Wellington - Christchurch cargo flight observed these unidentified objects. Then a TV crew from Australia's Channel 10 accompanied one Wellington to Christchurch flight. Not only did both the TV crew (including veteran TV reporter Quentin Fogarty) and the aircraft's flight crew see this UFO following their aircraft, but it was also recorded on 16 mm movie film . Further, while that was going on, this object (described by Quentin Fogarty as "looking like a flying saucer") was being simultaneously sighted on no less than three different sets of radar: that on board the Argosy aircraft itself, plus the Air Traffic Control radar at both Wellington and Christchurch airports.

In cases like this, those who would have you believe that two different groups of eye witnesses were hallucinating at the same time while the movie camera was having a hissy fit, and three different sets of radar just happened to be choosing this same moment to throw a wobbly are themselves stretching credibility to the limit!

It would be rash to categorize all unexplainable phenomena as "magic." It would be just as wrong to write it all off as "bull$h#t, too.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

Agreed. Leave room for scepticism but don't accept a materialist bias solution as an only option either.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

Interestingly enough, the existence of demonic spirits (along with first hand testimony) is one of the reasons I still believe in the Christian God of the Bible.

Science is unable to explain these "beings" or "entities" yet the Bible clearly does.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

along with first hand testimony

Really where and can it be substantiated ?

The Christ god was also fictional imagination created by people who wanted a better god entwined into humanity's perils and suffering.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious
    Really where and can it be substantiated ?

Since when can happenings in the spiritual realm be substantiated by humans other than by first hand testimony?

Public servants with nothing to gain and everything to lose have openly admitted they've witnessed this strange phenomena when interviewed.

If you're expecting to feel a spirit climb up your anal cavity for confirmation Finkelstein then it's going to be a long wait buddy.

• unsure
    unsure

Don't many religious texts have explanations for demons?

I've never experienced anything paranormal that I haven't debunked myself but am still open to the possibility.

• unsure
    unsure

Keep the thoughts coming. Fascinating stuff.

• LostAdam
    LostAdam

The only reason to believe in demons loool

The only reason to believe in demons loool

Any idea how he performs his tricks??

• knowsnothing1
    knowsnothing1

It's very real. Seeing was believing for me. I would be lying if I said otherwise.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

SOME people might say something like,

"It's very real. Seeing was believing for me."

(IF you have said this, allow me to comfort you - YOU are not being "picked on" here - but your ATTITUDE is...)

OK, so shall we assume that you're an expert at logic, that you have a thorough grasp of the mechanisms of illusion, AND that you are CERTIFIED to be "nobody's fool."

I guess if you saw the movie "IT" you would be convinced that CLOWNS are DEMONS, right?

After all, "seeing is believing," right?

As for the Bible's "explanations" - the gibbering of superstitious uneducated goatherds and the voices in their heads - no higher authority can there be! If a stage magician used sleight-of-hand to pull a coin from behind your ear, you'd tie him to a stake and set it aflame, wouldn't you?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit