Did You Go To Meetings in Very Inclement Weather?

by minimus 34 Replies latest jw friends

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Canceling meetings is a local decision. The decision depends on the local elder body. Back in the 60s and 70s, I cannot recall any meetings canceled. But I think that is a generational issue.

• zeb
    zeb

And what of countries where it is the opposite where it was heat to deal with.

A past cong for what whatever reason suddenly decided to have meetings starting at 4 pm. ? The kh was like an oven having been shut up all day. (no air con)

Well that didn't last long. All the kids were tired and cranky and what a stupid thoughtless thing to do. And many a time we did not go because of that.

Then it was sunday mornings starting at 10.00 am to suit the elderettes also flopped as the meeting went on for so long people were not going out into the fs. I forget what the next start time was but my wife and I noticed this when there was vote on start time a whole lot of people who occasionally attended turned up jaundiced the vote and of course then carried on not turning up.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    Did you go to meetings even when it was dangerous to drive?

I thought I did growing up in Puerto Rico, but absolutely not, now that I know a little better about horrible weather.

• tor1500
    tor1500

Hi,

I used to...you know I wanted to show I wasn't a fair weathered Christian...then I got smart...just like my job nobody wants to make the decision...they don't care how bad the weather is...& when they do call it off, it's almost time to go to the meeting. I think for my hall, the brothers don't want to stay home because if they do, they might have to help in the home, so it's better to go to the meeting..then get up and down to show how important they are. Brothers always tapping each other on the shoulder to come to the back...What a show...& also, trying to look good to the org.

Most folks stress about going in bad weather, because they fear man...me, I'm good, I go when I can...

For the JW's meeting attendance shows how spiritual you are and dedicated to Jehovah...we all know that don't mean a thing...As long as you are at the meetings you good...

I would tell you a little bit more about me, but don't want to be found out...

It's frigid in NYC today...going home...no meeting for me tonight...

Tor

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Meetings, my family went in all weather. Rain, sleet, hail, snow, blistering heat, strong wind... it didn't matter... and we WALKED the mile there. My parents didnt own a car until i was about 14.

My worst JW experience with weather was actually only 5 years ago. It was snowing heavily and strong wind. Snow was about 8 inches deep and slushy so you're shoes were soaking wet (as were your feet) and fucking cold.

EVERYONE including the CO decided to cancel the ministry and all went back to a rich brothers house for tea and cakes and a massive buffet. Unfortunately, i was working with a hard-ball elder who still went out and he was my lift home so i was stuck. We did 2 hours and got only ONE person in. And even then that person told us we were stupid being out in this weather and slammed the door on us.

Back then i had no balls. I was a "good" JW who thought the elders were personally chosen by God (ha!) so i never complained out loud.

• JaniceA
    JaniceA

We rarely had had enough weather to close the schools, and we lived about a mile from the KH, so we may have missed two meetings in 20 years for weather. . .

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

They also cancel when it is extremely cold. The last three meetings have been cancelled due to the cold here.

• minimus
    minimus

There is so much snow going on right now in New England it isn’t funny. I used to get a kick out of people who would got out in service and knock on doors during ice storms. The householders must have thought they were nuts!!!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I was with a group of reasonable elders. They cancelled meetings due to weather rather easily.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

I remember pioneering in inclement weather. The hope was that the people would feel sorry for us and invite us in for coffee or cocoa. Now, I can't believe I did that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit