Did You Go To Meetings in Very Inclement Weather?

by minimus 34 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Living in New England means having lots of snow and cold. Elders were very reluctant to cancel or reschedule a meeting due to the weather.

I lived 3 towns away from the Kingdom Hall and if it was icy and treacherous my vote would always be to cancel the meeting....and forget about rescheduling!

Did you go to meetings even when it was dangerous to drive?

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Here, in the UK it's a joke. In one circuit, a couple of weeks ago, the CO cancelled the elder's school because snow was forecast. He forgot to tell one bunch from out of town and they drove 60 miles to be there. No snow fell. When they arrived, the KH gates were locked, they were mad, not at the cancellation but at not being told.

If the elders look out of the window and see a few snow flakes, the meeting is cancelled. Everybody cheers at the day off. Nobody, but nobody bats an eyelid, I've never heard a complaint. We love the British "winter".

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Very rare, but a few real bad Sundays when I growing up I remember my mother staying home . . . sometimes, during bad snowstorms. I think people, at least in my area, NYC, are more afraid to go out nowadays anyway during bad weather because the news people always show folks stocking up on food and buying the last shovel the night before we're supposed to get a lot snow.

I remember we had a baby shower at our house for a sister, wasn't snowstorm but it was snowing and sticking and we had a full house of folks, now people will probably cancel events like that in bad weather

• minimus
    minimus

I’m wondering if they cancel meetings a lot more easily than they did when I was in

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Last place I was at in the US (Frederick MD), meetings were almost always cancelled for a snow forecast. Nobody complained. It was actually a good call since a lot of people had to drive down from the mountains.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

MINIMUS:

Back when I was in they cancelled readily in snowy weather. They are afraid of people falling and injuring themselves. I think they take their cues from what local schools do - and they close at the slightest reason!

• just fine
    just fine

When I was in they never cancelled for bad weather. It was ridiculous to have people out driving in those conditions. My parents always went no matter how bad it was.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

As an Elder, I did my best to get meetings canceled when it was bad out.

For a long time, it was because of safety issues, and just the hardship on older ones and ones with kids.

Near the end (when I was PIMPO), it was because I could not STAND being in a KH.

• Brian J
    Brian J

We cancel meetings at the THREAT of inclement weather.

Our sister congregation, same KH, jokes at us for the amount of meetings we cancel in a year. Love it.

Roads are wet and temp going all the way down to 33F. Better cancel.

I just feel bad when all the DF folks and older ones who don't get the cancellation emails and text messages show up dressed and pressed to a cold and wet locked door.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

@ttdtt--whats a PIMPO ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit