Boredom at the Kingdom Hall meetings

by RULES & REGULATIONS 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS
    Nicholaus Kopernicus
    You started a thread : http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/368940008/really-true-worship

Everyone should read it and come to the conclusion that the WTBTS structures every little detail that suits and benefits them. It is ''BIBLE LITE.'' Everything is boring because that's what they really want."DON'T THINK FOR YOURSELF,WE WILL DO ALL THE THINKING FOR YOU." CONTROL every detail and everyone will be in unity.The ''SPIRITUAL FOOD'' is rotten for a reason.

w10 5/1 p. 31 Title: "Our Readers Ask . . . What is a Kingdom Hall?""A Kingdom Hall is a house of worship used by Jehovah’s Witnesses for their religious services."

In that the above is published and claimed by the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses, a look at what the Bible says of worship is very much worthy of examination and some verses are cited below from Vine's Expository Dictionary. An examination of the Bible using such a scholarly and independent text will help in determining whether the Governing Body's claim of "true worship" is meritricious or meritorious.

If you are studying with Jehovah's Witnesses, you will be regularly "encouraged" to attend the local Kingdom Hall. If you do decide to attend, note what actually takes place during the meeting (and extolled as "true worship") compared with how the Bible describes worship (reverence, homage, awe, devotion, serve, honour religiously, religious homage (according to Vines expository dictionary).

Note too how extensive reference is made to items of literature published by the "Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses" and how little attention is paid to the Bible. For example, several years ago, it was common for a Brother to give a Bible dissertation involving an introduction, actual reading of a segment of the Bible, and then a concluding summary (usually application). Time allowed for this was 5 minutes. Then the introduction and conclusion (Brothers' composed such) was eliminated in favour of Bible reading only with the time curtailed to 4 minutes. As of this year, the time has been reduced further to a mere 3 minutes! Similarly an item called "Bible Highlights" given by a Ministerial Servant or Elder has had its time curtailed from 10 minutes to 8 minutes! Even before the time allowances were curtailed, the duration of time given to the Bible could hardly be regared as anything remotely deserving.

If you attend a "Watchtower Study" at the weekend, note how the "study" conductor draws a surprising amount of attention to any artwork / photos in the magazine and which is usually inconsequential. Watch out too for scriptures being referenced out of context (contrary to study 22 [Scriptures correctly applied] of the JW public speaking manual). Pay attention to the quality of what is being said. Is the meeting truly erudite or edifying? Is it perhaps banal; even soporific? In your heart of hearts, did you enjoy the meeting or endure it?

• Londo111
    Londo111

I remember during a public talk the speaker said, "Some people say the meetings are dry as kindling..."

And I thought, even as a mentally in JW, they just might have a point.

He followed it about by saying, "Not really..." And then went on how meetings are interesting if you prepare for them, and then be engaged by participating. It's not enough to merely attend, you have to spend hours in preparation for the meetings and be prepared to raise one's hand and talk into the microphone at least once.

And where is any of that in the Bible?

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    I'm usually browsing this forum during the meeting. Is that risky?
  • Charlie Cheddar
    Charlie Cheddar

You forgot field service mate. God that was unbelievably boring, depressing, soul destroying etc. etc.

• cookiemaster
    cookiemaster
    I used to go to the bathroom something like 6 times a meeting. I would sit there and play on my phone or listen to music. I even jerked off a few times, LOL. Plus, I'd never sit next to my parents. Always near a friend, so we could make fun of everyone else the entire meeting. There was this girl. I had this amazing chemistry with her. We were just in mental sync. Even if we sat on opposite sides of the hall, one look was enough to know what the other one was thinking and we'd just start laughing out loud at the same time at the stupidity of some answers that we almost got kicked out of the hall a few times. Those are some pretty good memories actually!
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    I don't think browsing this site during the meeting is risky. Likely nobody has a clue what you're looking at. They probably just see a few paragraphs or sentences of such with pictures on the sides.
  • Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

The meetings are painful to listen to. I am so tired of hearing how close the end is. My grandmother thought she would not die because the end was so close. She died. My mother believed she would not die because the end was so close. She died. I do not believe the end is close and I too shall die.

I just love when visiting speakers on Sundays read the outline and only look up at the audience for about 10 seconds every minute. Then after the meeting everyone tells him how good his talk was. My wife came home after one meeting and told me how good the meeting was. I asked her to tell me one new thing she learned. She had no answer.

Everyone just goes through the motions, while everyone gets older, and the flock dies off one by one. Thank goodness the end is near.

Sour Grapes

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

wannabefree - "...there really isn't much new material. The public talks are rehash of the old trash..."

Less and less truly new stuff...

...but less and less "Old Light" that they can use, simply because it's too easily proven wrong.

x

No wonder it's all just "listen and obey"; it's pretty much all they got left.

• Truthexplorer
    Truthexplorer
    The baptismal talk at conventions and assemblies are for me the most boring. At our recent assembly I decided to pass the time by marking down how many times Jesus name is mentioned in comparison to Jehovahs. The following is what I jotted down. Jesus - llllll (7 times). Jehovah - llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll (64 times)
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Great OP, R&R, just about nailed it.

You've even included a picture of one of the brainwashing centres ... brings back memories

And each and every meeting somehow "the best one yet!" - so true and so funny!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit