Boredom at the Kingdom Hall meetings

by RULES & REGULATIONS 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yes...

and it's amazing that the longer one is away from the meeting routine, the more clearly we see how repetitive and mind numbing they were.

its almost as if it takes a while for it to get out of our system....

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    the thing I liked that used to break the boredom was the "slide show" even though we'd seen them many times over as well
  • dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Here it is, a cartoon depicting a boring WT study. When I first saw it I thought the WT lesson was made up, but no, it is word for word from a WT lesson a few years back.

kudos to whoever took the time to make this and post it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeidZmxHLiY

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

dropoffyourkeylee
    Thank you for posting this video! I tried twice to but don't seem to know how to embed a video..
    This video is 100% accurate.The monotone speakers,the parroted word for word answers,the little kids answering either too loud or barely audible),the awful singing,the little kid getting slapped because she is bored and is expected to listen in for 2 hours,everyone looking at the clock which never seems to move,the sister who highlights the whole Watchtower article and the brother that isn't prepared and never studied it( hey! that was me), the study going 15 minutes overtime,etc.etc.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt
    Oubliette14 hours ago

And each and every meeting somehow "the best one yet!"

Actually - every meeting is Historic! Never to be repeated!!

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Yep, meetings are pretty boring. Especially now since there really isn't much new material. The public talks are rehash of the old trash. I feel so sorry for the kids that are made to sit through it.

It's not so bad now with all the electronic gadgets. My family still attends to keep my folks happy. it's amazing how productive those two hours can be. I read ebooks, play suduko and do crossword puzzles while sitting pretty in the audience and no one is the wiser. I've even mastered the art of jumping in with a comment and then go back to my own activities.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Fortunately we all lived through it and now have a life. On the occasions that I do attend with my wife, I have an ipad so I can check my email, ebay, and the the NFL scores. Still boring though.

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS
    Wannaexit said:
    My family still attends to keep my folks happy. it's amazing how productive those two hours can be. I read ebooks, play suduko and do crossword puzzles while sitting pretty in the audience and no one is the wiser.

I would bring THE NEW YORKER magazine and read the main article which usually took 45 minutes to read.That was the only way I would make it through the boring Watchtower study.

One time an elder's little son looked back from his seat and caught me reading something different than the Watchtower. He looked at me and asked me,'' What are you reading?'' I said,''The Watchtower!'' He said,''That's not the Watchtower!'' He then tried to tell his mom on what he saw but the mom told him to be quiet.

• Nicholaus Kopernicus
    Nicholaus Kopernicus

Some years ago, I remember attending a circuit elders' meeting where most of the time of the meeting was given over to presenting meeting parts and the audience giving feedback. The purpose of the meeting was to look hard at presentations and make them as interesting as possible. We were all informed that the rationale underlying such a focus was the perennial problem of troughs in mid-week meeting attendance. This of course implies that much of the responsibility lay with those presenting the information - true to an extent. However, there was no reflection whatsoever on the content of the meeting parts. Of course, to this day, the content of meetings is as it has always been - completely centralized. Thus, if the authors of the meeting produce outlines etc which are rather boring, then the meetings are going to be boring. Hardly rocket science!

Earlier in 2015 and perhaps 2014 too, I remember there were several episodes of KSM's having a part where several verses of scripture were read out and then open questions put to the audience. In my congregation not only did many hands go up, but the hands were held really high. I interpreted this as the audience being really enthused to participate. These items disappeared however. I don't detect enthusiasm at the meetings. Nobody says - "Oh wasn't that a nice talk..... wasn't that an interesting thought." No, the authors of the content and structure of the meetings exemplify the banal, the institutional, and lack of imagination. The focus is on considering the literature published by the WTBTS rather than the Bible. For an organisation which purports to be Christian, so little of Christ's teachings are actually considered. So the WTBTS is really responsible for the boring meetings and any consequent reduced or irregular attendances.

My scriptural thought on WTBTS meetings: "Better is the ending afterward of a matter than its beginning." From somewhere in Proverbs.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer
    I would bring THE NEW YORKER magazine and read the main article which usually took 45 minutes to read.That was the only way I would make it through the boring Watchtower study.
    One time an elder's little son looked back from his seat and caught me reading something different than the Watchtower. He looked at me and asked me,'' What are you reading?'' I said,''The Watchtower!'' He said,''That's not the Watchtower!'' He then tried to tell his mom on what he saw but the mom told him to be quiet.

I was at the Regional Convention a few years back, and because of the tiered seating I was able to clearly see the sister in front of me spent the entire morning reading "50 Shades of Grey" on her iPad!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit