Expectation vs Reality

by joey jojo 39 Replies latest jw experiences

Or as the sign said in the bar.

"Free beer tomorrow!"

Expectation...free beer

Reality

There is only today and there is no free beer today.

For the Jehovah's Witness that the only place true happiness can ever be is.... tomorrow.

P.S. I was never to get out of high school either, I graduated in 1967

• Sigfrid Mallozzi
    Sigfrid Mallozzi

To me, instead of the insane overlapping generation explanation, (my opinion) they would have done better with addressing the issue face on saying, "1914 was an error, we will not teach that anymore, however, we feel we are close to the end". "We have a wonderful brotherhood to move forward with and we feel that God's blessings are with us and are demonstrated in our brotherhood." There will be some changes, no preaching, no book studies, one assembly a year. God gave us the earth to inherit so learn about what God has given us and travel. In addition, no judicial meetings or disfellowshipping. Oh, and beards? If you have been blessed with a beard, you may grow it.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

WING COMMANDER:

Grey hair is better than no hair and you are relatively young!!

It’s sad to read all the stories of born-in people who had normal childhoods robbed from them by a deceptive cult who had to keep people hanging on with their carrot dangling from a stick of the ‘paradise earth’ teaching..Meanwhile, whole lifetimes have passed by and people have lived and died!

Even though I was not born into the Jehovah’s Witness religion, they could have really ruined my life if I caved in to criticism over my job!..I would not be Retired today if I listened to the judgmental hypocrites!..I was a little older than you when I walked away from it ALL.

I relish every day of being free. Just live your life!

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

I think the Society picks what everyone wishes for and says God's new world will accomplish it.

People long for good health, a roof over their head, food on the table, no more war, etc.

My old aunt, born in 1917, would never go to high school because of the imminence of the kingdom rule. I was told the same thing in the 60s and 70s. Children today are warned off university for the same reason. Gullible? Yes. But brainwashed by the "where else could we go" message.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Expectation of staying young and healthy and not dying at the day of judgment Armageddon....

10 tips for keeping your relationship strong while raising kids ...

• Mr.Finkelstein
    Mr.Finkelstein

The reality came to be this for many JWS who patiently waited.

...and there will be many JWs (Generations) who are going unfortunately in that direction as well..

This creepy 3200 digital tombstone has a 48inch screen to ...

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Interesting thread, sorry I just found it now. But......

All Or Nothing.

I totally agree- the religion that our parents and grandparents were sold in the 70's and 80's is not the religion of today AT ALL.

Yes. I am totally 100% with you all the way.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

& Vidiot

And the religion that their parents and grandparents were sold in the 50s and 60s is not the religion of the 70s and 80s, either.

It started out relatively harmless and benign, but a fucking lawyer and his businessmen cronies snatched the reins, couldn't stand the thought of being just another denomination amongst many...

...and here we are

... Yup. I hear you too. & Too the many other posters on this thread, who share this sentiment. I'm with all of you. Couldn't agree more. I just don't know what to express. It's just this empty sinking feeling, realizing it was just a big 'lie' from the Russell/Rutherford onward. Sick....
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

It's all just 'carrot and stick' mentality.

A carrot dangling in front of your face which is forever pulled away from you.

&

An ever imminent Armageddon, which is the stick, a control mechanism, which will never come.

• Mr.Finkelstein
    Mr.Finkelstein

It's just this empty sinking feeling, realizing it was just a big 'lie' from the Russell/Rutherford onward. Sick....

These men created what was called a confidence game where what they were selling was exploited from the public's general basic belief in the bible.

Their personal endeavors created a fair amount of power and control over others and a accumulative amount of assets in land and money as well..

The kind of power and money that certain men dream about, as if they built their very own self made " Kingdom " .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit