Living with Islam

by fulltimestudent 71 Replies latest social current

• Ruby456
    Ruby456
    from an Islamic pov - how are christian lands not shedding blood - in the last century there were two world wars, there were atom bombs dropped, there was the vietnam war, the serbian war, terrorist war in Ireland financed by US christians, the Iraq war, Israeli war backed by the US - these are just some examples of bloodshed
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

You make a good point, Ruby. The (formerly Christian) West is certainly not whiter than white, and has a tremendously bloody past.

However ...

Israeli war backed by the US - was the Israeli war really a Christian war? And what were the Muslim Arab nations doing at that time? (Answer: trying to destroy Israel).

How many extremist Christian groups are currently trying to turn non-Christian areas into Christian ones?

A Muslim would have to be as thick as sh1t not to notice that violent Muslim groups are many and varied, and found across the globe; violent Christian groups are rare and largely confined to the US.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

where sacred values are concerned (and secular values can also be sacred - equality freedom etc) there is often bloodshed. So let me say straight away I'm not getting into a discussion that is slanted towards saying that only religions are violent.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456
    nor will I engage in anything that smacks of muslim exceptionalism - saying that they are particularly alarming and we need to be wary and suspicious of them
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Fair enough, Ruby.

I just have to say that secular, 21st century values are worth fighting for; 7th century Islamist values clearly aren't.

Have a good day.

• cofty
    cofty
    saying that they are particularly alarming

They are.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Interesting article in today's Guardian online. An imam at Makkah Mosque, Leeds, is another 'spiritual leader' boldly speaking out against terrorism. Well done that man.

The title is 'Growth of Isis and Islamophobia putting British imams under huge pressure' - I'm guessing those two threats aren't equivalent, right?

Good old Guardian, you could almost lay money on it lumping in death threats from ISIS supporters with Islamophobia.

Anyway, here it is: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/23/growth-of-isis-and-islamophobia-putting-british-imams-under-huge-pressure

P.S. thanks for chipping in with your comment, Cofty. Sane voices such as yours and Simon's keep me from going completely insane.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

whether or not you have religion or not, good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things. But to have "good" people do bad things, that takes religion.

The message of a religion is important as its followers are already conditioned to believe nonsensical fantasies. The message of Islam itself is not peaceful in anyway, so you have devout people following the book and prophet they revere. The book and the prophet are both despicable.

When the extremists (religious theocratic core) of Islam want to dip into the pool, they are dipping into the 1.6 million or so moderates. In other world religions people are generally not threatened with death (honor killing) for leaving, this seems to be allowing those to grow up as a religion or out of it, losing the fantasy. So in general the only world religion not growing up and out of this nonsense of the past is Islam. Its just growing.

• cappytan
    cappytan

Islam needs to die. It has no place in modern society.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

I do believe all religions are BS

I don't believe all religions are created equal

I won't stick up for anyone's religion, I wouldn't do it for JWS, I wont for Islam. I will only be honest about the results of each

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit