In Search of Christian Freedom

by berylblue 34 Replies latest jw friends

• berylblue
    berylblue

Franz stated something in this mind-blowing book which was definitely true for me.

He stated (this is a poor paraphrase) that very early on during a "study", Witnesses can easily show what's in the Bible regarding God's name, the condition of the dead, living on paradise earth, etc. Once these are proven to a person's satisfaction, when the study moves on to more complicated matters, it is just easier to accept what isn't understood on the basis that so far, everything has seemed true. By now, there is an emotional investment -and everything up until now seemed fine, so.....................................let's swallow it all, and what is too difficult to swallow comfortably (blood? 1914?) just kind of gulp it down anyway. It's probably true....the WTS does know better, obviously. YOU didn't know God's name, did you? You didn't know the dead were conscious of nothing, did you? You didn't know about the resurrection, did you?

As I said, that was poorly paraphrased. But in my case, absolutely true. I knew nothing of the Bible, I only knew Catholic dogma. Never fell for most of it, always felt it was a load of garbage. Now, I could clearly see what was stated in the Bible on very simple matters. Once I was convinced of a few basic things, the rest was easy; I just accepted even though some of it I disagreed with. However, I felt these "learned Bibl scholars" knew much more than I did. What a traumatic experience, then, to read how these "responsible, prayerful men with God's spriit" really came to their "understanding" of the Scripture.

It's sickening, really.

ISoCF is a MUST read.

Sorry for the lack of eloquence; this is the best I can do right now.

• OICU8it2
    OICU8it2

The most inspiring book I've ever read. I wish I had read CoC sooner, like a decade ago. In Search of was so open and honest it seemed. I wish Ray was much younger, though.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Berryblue,

This is a great subject. I like to add one of hundreds of goodies I noted in my book. Here is just something I underlined and typed in here to help get people going.

Love and faith, the true 'rules' of the Christian, can reach innermost thoughts and depths of the heart. They can touch and affect every facet of life in a way that law and rules can never accomplish. Because of not being under law, the Christian is put in the position of showing what he or she really is at heart. And that alone counts with God.

What did you like about the book?

Jst2laws

• berylblue
    berylblue

Well, I haven't read the book. I've skimmed it. Quite frankly, CoC left me in a state of shock.

I have to say that Franz' books are traumatizing.

Maybe it's just me.

Rosemarie

• gumby
    gumby
    YOU didn't know God's name, did you? You didn't know the dead were conscious of nothing, did you? You didn't know about the resurrection, did you?

Merchandising at it's best! Convince people there are truths they haven't been told, and what they have been told is a lie. Actually with Christianity...........it's easy prey for anyone who wants to pick it apart and it's beliefs. The witnesses are one of the few that are not a white trash cult who capitolize on downplaying religion to gain converts and most people have many questions the witnesses are eager to supply answers for. They have answers for everything and people want answers.

I have to say that Franz' books are traumatizing.

In what way?

BTW....excellent post rosemarie

Gumby

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Gumby,

****he witnesses are one of the few that are not a whit trash cult ****

I dunno Gumby.....ever really take a close look at a picture of ole Charles Taze? A whiter more stuffed shirt kinda guy, hard to find, even in his day.

The witnesses have a solid origin in American, white, protestant, adventist stock. It wasn't until the sixties that you could even pick through a gathering of jwdubs and see a little brown.

Taze and Rutherford, where much like other circus barker's who appeared on the scene in the early 1900's, Barnum another venue, but just as whacked out as the pastor.

Danny

• berylblue
    berylblue

Gumby,

Traumatizing because the books are destroying all my long held beliefs about the WTS .

Although I have been researching since January, nothing I have read has so far has been as powerful. I can rationalize away much of the stuff I've read here (as well as other places), but what Franz writes cannot easily be pushed aside.

It means that I have to seriously rethink most everything I believed in since I first started studying with the Witnesses.

It's actually physically painful. My stomach is in knots, I'm near tears.

I do believe all Franz has written, but I can't believe it. Do you understand what I mean?

Rosemarie

• gumby
    gumby
    It means that I have to seriously rethink most everything I believed in since I first started studying with the Witnesses.

Thats what we call the" journey" around here......and it's a long haul for some!

If you have been raised as a dub...( and I can't remember if you were) you really do have to re-learn much in life. For those who came into the cult later and then exited.......it's a little different I think.

As far as the bible is concerned......if what you now know is what you learned from them.......then if christianity is what you follow........you definately need to re-think many things although as far as the bible is concerned....I think the witnesses had many things correct doctrinally, but as far as the N.T.message......they are cluless.

I am surprised it was this late in your exit you discovered Rays books......or have you already read COC? His books do the trick for many because of the postition he was in, and the things he uncovered that would not have ever been known through any other person other than a GB member.(I don't think)

Gumby

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Rosemary,

It's actually physically painful. My stomach is in knots, I'm near tears.

I do believe all Franz has written, but I can't believe it. Do you understand what I mean?

YES! And I doubt that the physical discomfort is a normal reaction to this psychological trama

of having so many cherished beliefs jerked out from under you.

But then we recover and are better persons for facing reality.

Jst2laws

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Well Berylblue, I dont know why you criticize your eloquence. You are one of the most sincere posters here and its hard not to be moved by what one reads when you write from the heart. I know its all very traumatic . It was for all of us.But you have learnt the horrible truth- Noone can save your soul with a placebo religious pill. Not really.Noone except YOU. I know that many spend their entire lives in delusion unwilling and emotionally incapable of facing the realities of life, theyde rather dream dreams of utopian gardens and suchlike.

Are you strong enough to face up to reality and create your own "godhood" and your own power?

I think you are.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit