Court denies summary judgement for Laurel Jehovah's Witnesses congregation

by OrphanCrow 161 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    deemed a “penitent”

That is a basis. Given 909, penitent and priest qualifications under the provision can be decided by Court. Which means that even if JW could enjoy 909, the penitent priest relationship did not exist because the Court determined that the penitent did not qualify.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    As I posted before, since priests and ministers serve as police proxies and informants, end of religion.
  • Mephis
    Mephis

You know that the Supreme Court has ruled that legal limits on clergy privileges can be set (if it's incidental to something like, say, reporting child abuse) right Fisherman? Employment Division v Smith (1990), right? States can individually choose to accomodate, or they can restrict certain activities.

"It is a permissible reading of the [free exercise clause]...to say that if prohibiting the exercise of religion is not the object of the [law] but merely the incidental effect of a generally applicable and otherwise valid provision, the First Amendment has not been offended"

Is this why we're on totally different pages here?

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    juvenile’s subsequent excommunication indicated he might not have willingly met with the elders, and did not consider the meeting as a form of repentance as part of absolution and a “sacramental confession.”

I think that the only basis here is age. Any other attempts to disqualify JW existing church "confession" settings will be overturned.

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

‘Genuine issues exist’

In conclusion, the court ruled that a narrow interpretation of Section 909 “is unconstitutional on its face” and the terms “priest,” “penitent” and “sacramental confession” apply to only select denominations if taken literally.

“The Delaware Constitution prohibits laws that give preference to any religion,” the court wrote.

“However, Section 909 can potentially be read to apply to all religions.

“Regardless of the constitutionality of Section 909, genuine issues of material fact exist that prevent summary judgment.”

Delaware Code states that Section 903 violators “shall be liable for a civil penalty not to exceed $10,000 for the first violation, and not to exceed $50,000 for any subsequent violation.” Costs and attorneys’ fees may be awarded as well.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

TGNT

Thank you for cut and pasting what was already posted in a link that many did not READ as you finally decide to.

• Mephis
    Mephis
    Juvenile is just to avoid naming the teen Fisherman. Adult gets the same. It means nothing more than that. Judge's reasoning for why she can't accept it is a sacrament of confession in either case should be pretty clear with that clarified for you.
  • Dagney
    Dagney
    Any other attempts to disqualify JW existing church "confession" settings will be overturned.

I don't believe any attempt has been successful. LOL.

• the girl next door
    the girl next door
    Right. I posted the link. And I keep referring to it to refute your assertions.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

"...Any attempts to force JW to change their existing 'penitent priest' setting to qualify for a religious confidentiality immunity provision will be overturned in the Higher Court...."

They don't have to "force" JWs to do anything.

The tribunal-like setting and meticulous record-keeping inherent in the WTS's "judicial" process makes it so far removed from anything even resembling a "penitent/priest" setting that it already disqualifies itself from anything like a "religious confidentiality immunity provision".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit