Fred Franz Former Training in Ancient Greek

by Wild_Thing 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

After calling a few departments that said they couldn't help me, I called the University registrar's office and asked about accessing student records from over 100 years ago. She said I had to put my request in writing to an email address and they will get back to me about whether I am allowed access or not.

And the wait begins ....

As much research as others have already done, I can't believe there isn't a PDF of all of his transcripts online already.

• vienne
    vienne

BB, I haven't read the transcript in 2-3 years, but that's my memory. You could very well be correct.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It’s not evidence of a qualification, it’s evidence he could read Hebrew.

He was asked in court to translate a verse from English into Hebrew and he refused.

• fulano
    fulano

It might be a little off-topic, but hearing him he sounds to me as a presumptuous, haughty man. Why mention Oxford so many times speaking about your self. Besides when you get outlines for a talk on any assembly it always says not to draw the attention to one as a speaker (jokes, personal things), and look what he does.

I personally (might be a Dutch thing, we don't like snobbish people in general) always hated jw's talking about what they could have been if they wouldnt have been a jw.

Anyway, if Franz dominated Koine, he was lucky just to have to read it and write it. I have heard him in Spanish (an old recording a mexican brother had), it was more Kentucky with a Spanish accent.

https://youtu.be/NIoh73FogMk

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

I once called Raymond Franz to ask him a couple of questions. I regret that at the time of the call I dumped on him my suspicion that he was a bittered and negative apostate who just had to find a way to justify writing his two books.

Ray kept his composure, but I could tell he was hurt by my insinuations, his tone of voice changed and he paused for a moment. When he spoke again, he sounded like he was crying inside. Not once, did he lash back at me.

That was some 25 years ago. Looking back, I was so sorry for unleashing my frustration at him. Since then, I realize I was wrong on so many counts. I had no right to judge him. Now that he is gone, I regret not calling him back to apologize for my indiscretion. More than ever!

Anyways, he told me in answer to one of my questions, that Fred Franz was the main translator of both the NWT and the Kingdom Interlinear. He was personally bothered by critics who presented a case out of proportions around Fred’s reluctance to attempt to translate Gen. 1.4 from English to Hebrew. Ray told me that Fred was not comfortable with the way the attorney was presenting his case against the WT Society, and chose not to engage in his ruse.

Anyways, the NWT/Kingdom Interlinear itself is proof that whoever worked on the translations had the intellectual capacity to deal with the translation difficulties. And in many places they did not follow standard translation choices.

One such example is the beginning clause of 1 John 5.19, which says in most versions: "We know that we are of God." (NASB) This clause, however, does not sound like a normal English statement a mother would use with her daughter, for instance. This is because the NASB translators rendered the Greek with English equivalents. They did not take into account how a modern English speaker would translate the Greek of John which reads literally: "We have known that out of the God we are." Most English versions read as the NASB does. A few read like so, "We know that we are children of God." This may be better, but is sort of a paraphrase, because the word "children" is not in the Greek text, though implied. But I think the best renderings come from the Twentieth Century Translation and the NWT.

TCT: "We realize that we come from God..."

NWT: We know we originate with God...

These two translations acknowledge the presence of the preposition "ek [out of]" which implies ‘action proceeding from a source,’ in this case, Christians proceeding from God (spiritually born from God, as children of God) as the source of all life and spirit.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Franz was asked to translate English into Hebrew, Genesis 2:4 to be specific.

Can you give some examples of poor grammar in the NWT. I don’t disagree but I’m interested in specific examples.

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

I meant Genesis 2.4 (not 1.4) as the verse brought up in Court in the Walsh case.

• vienne
    vienne

Kingdom Interlinear draws from Vine's Expository Dictionary. It is almost entirely drawn from Vine's. The KI if full of scholarship because it borrows from a true scholar. Compare the two.

Examples of poor grammar? Use of reflexive pronouns, especially in the OT. ie: He himself.

• TD
    TD

I guess I've never understood the Fred Franz threads.

Is the intent to show that he lacked the formal credentials of a Bible translator or is the intent to show that he didn't understand the source languages at all?

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

I guess I've never understood the Fred Franz threads.

Is the intent to show that he lacked the formal credentials of a Bible translator or is the intent to show that he didn't understand the source languages at all?

Yes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit