Fred Franz Former Training in Ancient Greek

by Wild_Thing 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

Has anyone been able to verify that Fred Franz received the minimal training in Ancient Greek that he claimed gave him the expertise to translate the Bible? You would think that would be fairly easy to verify or disprove in this day and age. What college did he attend? What classes did he take? Does anyone know if research has been done already?

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

I believe he went to college, but not sure if he graduated. I think he took Ancient Greek I, and Ancient Greek II then just let Jehovo whisper the rest to him from his brown shoes

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

Where did he attend college?

• sir82
    sir82

30 seconds on wikipedia tells you the answer:

Franz was born on September 12, 1893 in Covington, Kentucky. He was baptized in the Lutheran Church, but attended Catholic services as a child as a matter of convenience, before later attending the Presbyterian Church.[2] He graduated from Woodward High School in Cincinnati, Ohio in 1911 and attended the University of Cincinnati where he studied liberal arts and later (for two years) Biblical Greek,[1][3] with the intention of becoming a Presbyterian preacher.[2] He knew German and could read Latin, Greek and in later years self-taught Spanish, Portuguese, French and Hebrew. [3][4] His association with the Bible Students began after he read some of the literature of Charles Taze Russell. He was baptized as a Bible Student on either November 30, 1913,[5] or, according to Franz, April 5, 1914.[6]

So he attended the University of Cincinnati but left before acquiring his degree.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

The Wikipedia article quotes from two secondary or tertiary sources. I'm looking for verified primary resources that he actually attended and what classes he took.

• sir82
    sir82

Ah - sorry, didn't get that from your first post.

I wonder if you could write to the university of Cincinnati? Maybe hundred-year old transcripts are now "public domain"?

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

Yeah ... I was hoping someone else had done the work already. I guess I need to roll up my sleeves and get busy!

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

I haven't been able to find much information on Fred Franz in any scholarly source.

• Londo111
    Londo111

He wasn't as smart as he thought he was.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

He wasn't as smart as he thought he was.

No doubt!

I found this claim elsewhere on the internet. Again, with no evidence. I would like to have this verified:

He went to the University of Cincinnati from Fall, 1911 through the Winter, 1913, completed 36 classes with 23 A's, 8 B's and 5 C's. He only took one class in Ancient Greek and a few other classes in Classical Greek.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit