What do I do ?

by jdash 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    They told me that if I disassociate myself, then my grandfather will lose his position as an elder.

It might/probably would happen. It would not be your fault were that to happen. Its cult rules and practices. But its enough that some serious problems would exist between you and your grandparents.

Do your best to find a way to make your future happen your way. You may later be shunned by family, possibly not. But let all that wait while in school.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

hi J-Dash, its great to have you join us.....in fact we have had a number of new teenage members in recent weeks. hope fully some will respond on this thread.

come to think of it----it would be good if this site could become more user friendly for young members. you are the future, old fogeys like me are just history.

• jdash
    jdash

Thanks all for the help. Honestly, I have been preparing for college, and know what i'm going to study and whatnot. I will fake it for the rest of my time, or until i'm 18. I have made worldly friends already, some of them are better than the ones in the organization. I I get my license in a few days, all I need to do it save up some more money so I can be able to afford a car, and maybe insurance.

The advice I've received so far is amazing and I greatly appreciate it. You all are great people. I will continue to use this site and others as ways to help me cope, you could say. Because it's just that, I feel as I am brainwashed. As in like "you better come back or you will die in Armageddon."

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Because it's just that, I feel as I am brainwashed. As in like "you better come back or you will die in Armageddon."

Yep, that's quite right. When i was your age the only ones who'd die in Armageddon was the evil ones, then it was anyone who's not a JW, and now as far as i can deduce from Tony Morris III it's anyone who isnt pioneering.

In my opinion, fear of being killed isnt a good reason to join a religion.

Also:

They told me that if I disassociate myself, then my grandfather will lose his position as an elder.

Only if you're living in the same household as far as i know, check the elders book i sent you:)

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Hey there, I think you've already been given loads of good advice. My wife and I live in southern Indiana, just across the bridge from Louisville KY. Just know that if you get out in time (no rush) there are more of us out here. We'd be happy to come up sometime and say hi. We like to come up and go to Fuel hockey games every so often, just attended the big basketball day at Bankers Fieldhouse, etc. We like to visit Indy and maybe someday when you get out we can visit you.

There's actually an annual apostafest up near Indy that we went to for the first time last year. My wife is from Seymour and has friends that married and moved away, but they have ties to some exjws in Indy too. We met some of them last winter too. You won't have to be alone and you're doing the right thing by building relationships now for that time.

Mike

• Giordano
    Giordano

jdash you sound like you are getting your stuff together. Plenty of good advice around here.

I am going to go off thread a bit.

Do you have an after school job? If not........ start looking for one...... besides making some money you meet with a different set of people then school mates, or JW friends.
    Next time your at a big box store go there after school or on a Saturday and study the employees. You will see many of them talking as they stock the shelves or hauling in the shopping carts.

Another approach is to look into something that really interests you, a music store, or game store, a pet store there are any number of things.

My nephew thought that he would look into a Lube and Oil garage and aim to be a mechanic. Maybe start with one of those quick lube places. But they weren't hiring.

"What do you know about this business". The Boss asked him.

"Nothing" he responded. "But I'll work for free after school and on Saturday for one week. and when the week is up I'll know a lot more!"

Ok the boss said you start on Monday and finish Saturday.

They mechanics started to call him Charley Hustle. He always had his broom cleaning up, running to bring a particular tool. Hauling in tires whatever it took.

He helped doing oil changes, topping off the fluids .

At the end of the week he was hired.

Then he really did something smart. He spent every minute he could assisting the guy who realigned the front wheels. Learning to us the computer and technical equipment. This guy was getting on in years and my nephew made his job easier. So he shared his valuable knowledge. When he retired my nephew took over.

He made it his business to learn every job, got along with everyone. Turned 21 and he was the manger of the shop.

You find something that interests you and work can be more satisfying.

Just Saying.

• Old Navy
    Old Navy

My suggestion is heavily biased. I served in the Navy for 21 years but that length of time is not a necessity to accruing benefits that will be very helpful to you at age 21 or 22.

Should you opt to join one of the military services for a four year enlistment your "place to live" will be taken care of. Qualifying for technical schooling in electronics or computers or numerous other fields will enable you to acquire excellent training to prepare you for steady employment following your enlistment when you "return to the World."

As a military member you'll receive a decent salary and will be entitled to 30 days leave (vacation) each year.

As you put on stripes you'll earn more and will be placed into positions of greater responsibility and leadership.

After your four years you'll come out with education and experience; you'll probably have traveled to exotic areas of the U.S., Europe or Asia.

You'll be ready to take on anything as you proceed with your life. You'll also have the G.I. Bill which will enable college education without great financial expense.

My escape route from the witnesses was the Navy. I had to wait until I was 18 1/2 yrs. of age since I wasn't able to get my Father's permission to enlist. I have never regretted that life changing experience.

You might also decide to make the military a career. Military retirement is very good.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    all I need to do it save up some more money so I can be able to afford a car, and maybe insurance.

I hope you are being cute/funny. Get insurance, not MAYBE!

It sounds like you are being smart and cautious, and doing what you can to live outside the JW box at the same time. Good going.

• Saethydd
    Saethydd

I was in a similar position to you. I woke up in college, after I woke up I met the person who has turned out be my best friend, she gave me a place to stay when my parents made me leave.

For college you can try for scholarships, and if you live in the United States you should be able to fill out something called FAFSA, you might qualify for a Pell Grant or a federally subsidized loan to start your schooling. You said brother is disfellowshipped? Am I right in thinking that he's older? Maybe he could give you a place to stay through this, I would definitely talk to him about all f this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit