What's More Important...Taking care of immigrants or the needy in your country?

by minimus 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

Whenever I read these "we should help our own needy first" I just have an image of someone who doesn't want to help anyone.

What are the exact rules they think apply? Seriously, what is the falloff amount vs distance which measures how much help someone should be given. Next door? The same street? A city block? The same town / city / region? Province or state? Country? Hemisphere?

It's simply insane.

What it often means is "help people more like me". So does that mean same language? Or same color?

Why can't it be like Triage where you help the most needy?

The idea that you would help all of one group before helping all of another is ludicrous. Should we not help sick animals because there are sick children?

How about people help whoever they can and want to. But they should shut the fuck up telling other people that they shouldn't be helping others.

Personally, I feel some refugees are more in need and deserving of my help than someone who has squandered every opportunity in life but just happens to live locally.

BTW: Interesting local article about Homeless in Calgary supporting help for refugees:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-homeless-say-help-syrians-too-1.3362917

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Personally, I feel some refugees are more in need and deserving of my help than someone who has squandered every opportunity in life but just happens to live locally.

Agreed. That's why I am personally helping a family through a local church. I also donate money to Wounded Warriors, volunteer at my local pet shelter, donate to Angel Flight and always do Angel Tree every year.

I'm trying to leave the world and at least a few people better than they were before I got here.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

What's an obnoxious and empty dichotomy minimus.

Like what's more important, to brush your teeth or wipe your bum. They're both important and you do both. You don't use doing one as an excuse for not doing the other. Just ridiculous.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Like what's more important, to brush your teeth or wipe your bum. They're both important and you do both. You don't use doing one as an excuse for not doing the other. Just ridiculous.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

There are times Slimboy when I couldn't disagree with you more.

This is NOT one of those times.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    What Slimboyfat said!!!! amazing.
  • prologos
    prologos
    never a jw: Assuming that greater help is given to immigrants than citizens, I would say that there is an economical incentive , or a political incentive. Look at Merkel and her 1000 000 newcomers this year alone. Consider the 3 recently arrived minority members of a small, religious minority, in the new government cabinet, that came out of a recent election.(result of minority block voting). and: Anyone can declare himself a "refugee" receive immediate benefits, including a free lawyer, whereas normal immigrants wait for years and are expected to pay fees for every move. The immigration/refugee industry "loves this idea"
  • Viviane
    Viviane
    Anyone can declare himself a "refugee" receive immediate benefits, including a free lawyer, whereas normal immigrants wait for years and are expected to pay fees for every move.

Yeah, that's not true.

http://www.bmi.bund.de/EN/Topics/Migration-Integration/Asylum-Refugee-Protection/Asylum-Refugee-Protection_Germany/asylum-refugee-policy-germany_node.html

• prologos
    prologos

V:-""-Yeah, that's not true. a good point, the country in particular should have been mentioned, in the case, Canada. I have seen a "refugee" claimant standing on the American side of the yellow line at a border crossing, and a lawyer already present to get him to have his shout of "refugee" recognized to cross that painted border line. It will take years to remove frivolous claimants; cheaper to just pay the benefits, that over all exceed Canadian senior low income help. Germany, that you cite. a different system, more rigid, but generous for all comers. and in both countries a major organized crime problems* replicating conditions these migrants fled from. Generous countries importing the troubles of the world, and financing it. Politics gone wrong. Making a mockery of the legal immigration process

* not stopping at blowing planes out of the sky, notorious gang wars, honor killings.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose
    Agreed. That's why I am personally helping a family through a local church. I also donate money to Wounded Warriors, volunteer at my local pet shelter, donate to Angel Flight and always do Angel Tree every year.
    I'm trying to leave the world and at least a few people better than they were before I got here.
    Wow, good on you! How strange that you are doing what the opportunity suggested should be done, helping people in your own country, but two people saw fit to dislike that particular comment, I wonder why? I get that some people don't like you, you can be blunt and this is a political thread, but to dislike that fact that you help other people is petty and childish.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit