What's More Important...Taking care of immigrants or the needy in your country?

by minimus 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Billyblobber
    Billyblobber
    False dichotomy. If the US, for instance, didn't spend trillions intervening in everyone else's countries and killing civilians in collateral damage, it could easily use that money to fix its own issues and help refugees.
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

I have heard this rhetoric so many times for so many years. "What's More Important...Taking care of immigrants or the needy in your country?"

However, I have noticed that the people who say it to me are the very same people who didn't give a shit about the needy before another pressing humanitarian need was imminent. And, that the moment that pressing need was satisfied or not newsworthy anymore...those same people go back to passing the homeless on the street and whining about "they should go and get a job".

I think it is called "passing the buck". Or something like that...

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

If the US, for instance, didn't spend trillions intervening in everyone else's countries and killing civilians in collateral damage, it could easily use that money to fix its own issues and help refugees - true.

If the US didn't spend billions on foreign aid, using this to feed and otherwise help foreign people, it could easily use that money to fix its own issues and help refugees.

• Billyblobber
    Billyblobber
    The U.S. spends far, far more on its military. That's the second largest expenditure of the country (1 is healthcare). Less than ONE PERCENT of the federal budget goes to foreign aid.
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    It seems like public is always ready to spend on immigrants. I remember in the Borg, the rank and file are always very, very helpful to new immigrants in the KH. While they treat members who have been there for decades as if they are invisible.
  • Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt
    What's More Important...Taking care of immigrants or the needy in your country?
    Why can't one do both? Love the one you with and so on.
    If there's a needy person you know, help them.
    If there's an immigrant you know, help them.
    If there's a needy immigrant you know, well hell you get the idea don't you?...
    In short we should help everyone except if they're a mormon. That vile satanic cult needs to be wiped off the face of the earth because Joseph Smith was the anti-Christ.
    Hail Hydra!
  • Viviane
    Viviane
    But we are about to bend over backwards and make it rain on a big group that really doesn't like us much.

What % of resources per country is going to the local needy vs. refugees? How do you know they don't like us? What specific portion of the vetting process are you troubled by?

• never a jw
    never a jw

The big mystery is:

If it is true, as implied by the opening piece and several comments, that governments are more willing to help immigrants than their own citizens, why is that? Something just doesn't fit well, unless we believe that people tend more towards xenophilia than xenophobia, which defies common sense

Assuming that greater help is given to immigrants than citizens, I would say that there is an economical incentive behind, not just for private companies, but for the government and people in general. All predominantly "Caucasian" populations are not growing fast enough to keep their economies healthy and keep up with the huge bills of the retired population. The immigrant population generally is younger and therefore has longer productive lives. It's all about dollars and sense.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Beth Serim,

What's your explanation for the scenario you painted in your last comment? People love strangers more than their own? Your scenario doesn't quite fit well with human nature. Something is missing

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

It's just something I've felt, like a ''vibe'' when I was at the ''meetings''. No one really paying attention to me and focussing more on strangers in the KH. That's all.

If you weren't ever going to the meetings, it's a vibe that's hard to explain.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit