Evolution is a Fact #39 - Homologous Structures

by cofty 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

Every living thing descended from a common ancestor over millions of years. This is the central fact that the theory of evolution explains. House sparrows and tree sparrows only need to go back relatively few generations to find their common ancestor, while trout and tigers must search much closer to the roots of the tree for theirs.

Darwin sketched this idea of common ancestry along with the words "I think" in one of his notebooks. His seminal book "On The Origin of Species" laid out multiple lines of evidence for the relatedness of life and the role of natural selection in creating new species.

Precisely how species are related to one another has been the subject of much research since Darwin's time. The "tree of life" has been continuously refined as new methods became available. In recent years the field of genetics has provided irrefutable proof of common ancestry, confirming and correcting previous models. Numerous threads in this series have looked at some of this genetic evidence, including ERVs, pseudogenes and the genetic sequences of ubiquitous proteins.

Before genetic evidence was available comparisons between species focussed on physical similarities. Not all of these are immediately obvious. Superficially bats look more like birds than they resemble dolphins but a closer examination of their anatomy reveals a different story.

On the surface a bat wing does appear to have anything in common with a dolphin flipper or human arm but when we look at the underlying anatomy they are clearly "homologous".

This basic structure of our arms and legs is shared by an astonishing number of creatures. The relative size of individual bones vary, some may be missing or fused to other bones, but the pattern is clear. Even more amazingly when we look back into the fossil record this same pattern of bones can be seen in the fossils of extinct lobe-finned fish more than 350 million years ago, before our ancestors emerged from the oceans.

The reason for the similarity of these ancient structures is explained beautifully by recent progress in evolutionary developmental biology (Evo Devo). The genes that control the development of each part of our limbs is now understood in precise detail. The emergence of embryonic limb buds and the growth of the various parts of modern limbs are controlled by signalling proteins coded by genes that formed the fins of Eusthenopteron in the Devonian Period.

Natural selection is brilliant at finding ways to adapt ancient structures. The results can be found in homologous structures in diverse modern species and in the fossil record.

• cofty
    cofty

Index of Parts 1 -30

#31 Ten Questions For Creationists ...
    The basic facts about reality covered so far pose an impossible challenge to creationism.

#32 Sexual Selection
    How female mating preferences led to some of the most remarkable features of living things.

#33 A Tale About Tails
    Human embryology reveals our primate history.

#34 Hiccups and Tadpoles
    How hiccups are a relic of our amphibian ancestors.

#35 Nature Red in Tooth and Claw
    Nature's ability to inflict pain and suffering in the battle for survival.

#36 Mass Extinctions
    96% of life was wiped out in The Great Dying 250 million years ago.

#37 Testicles
    The plumbing of the vas deferens gives evidence of our fish ancestry

#38 The Origin of Complex Cells
    How a merger of simple cells made complexity possible

• Simon
    Simon

Apart from Octopuses, they are unique alien creatures that are just waiting, and plotting ... so just like cats, but with more arms (and don't mind water). Also, they can change color - our cat could only do that with the help of paint and clumsiness.

https://www.evolutionnews.org/2015/08/the_octopus_gen/

Genetics is fascinating, I wish I knew more about it. For instance, we share a lot of our DNA with bananas. Although I think some people are more bananas than others ...

I'm sure some of the "facts" in newspapers are rather clumsy interpretations of the real facts and science, but it's still fascinating how DNA seems to be shared and the blue-prints for various designs that have evolved at some point are kept around, ready to be re-used when there is some trigger or accident. It's part of how life persists.

• cofty
    cofty

I find it fascinating to see the same bone structure in the fins of 370 million year old fish and in an x-ray of my own arm!

Imagine three chefs each being given the same basket of ingredients. They would likely come up with very different dishes. Natural selection uses genes in a similar way. By adjusting the timing and duration of protein production the same genes can be used to make bat wings and dolphin flippers.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

I think there were only three occasions in natural history that a species larger than an insect evolved the ability to fly, namely:

• the bird (fossils suggest it evolved from a type of feathered dinosaur),
    • the bat (fossils suggest it evolved from a mammal), and
    • the pterodactyl (extinct - fossils suggest it evolved from a reptile).

As shown in the diagrams in Cofty's OP, the bird and the bat have very different wing structures. For the bird, the fingers have shrunk to virtually nothing, and the feathers provide the rigidity. For the bat, the fingers became very large with a membrane or webbing between the fingers. The pterodactyl wings are very different again; the fingers are still there (and the elbows play a role), but there is one enormous finger and the rest are stubs.

All 3 creatures have hands and fingers (or the remnants of them). All 3 have very different wing structures. Surely one way of creating a wing is superior to all others. So why would a creator create three completely different ways? Further, why would a creator use the fundamental bone structure of a hand, each time? Evolution provides an obvious explanation for each of these questions.

• cofty
    cofty

I agree Shepherdless.

Creationists can try to explain away homology as an example of common design but that results in some very bizarre design. It portrays god more like an old guy in his shed making stuff out of whatever bits and pieces he has lying around.

• CookieMonster
    CookieMonster

^ well he did make Eve out of a spare rib

• hooberus
    hooberus
    All 3 creatures have hands and fingers (or the remnants of them). All 3 have very different wing structures. Surely one way of creating a wing is superior to all others. So why would a creator create three completely different ways? Further, why would a creator use the fundamental bone structure of a hand, each time? Evolution provides an obvious explanation for each of these questions.

The book “The Biotic Message” deals with these points.

http://saintpaulscience.com/contents.htm

The author argues that:

1. Life was created to show that it is the result of a single designer. Hence, “The similarity of these three organisms cannot be denied. They are variations on a theme, possessing a common body plan. This sends the unifying message.”

2. Life was designed to resist all other explanations. Hence, the organisms are “systematically placed (regarding all other organisms) so their common possession of wings cannot be explained by common descent.” “Evolutionists are left to account for the evolution of wings (and flight!) separately for each case.”

Biotic Message p. 354

• cofty
    cofty

Hooby - I really wish you would try to learn the basics of biology before you attempt to demolish it.

I'm busy decorating. I will (as usual) explain why you are wrong later.

• hooberus
    hooberus
    Hooby - I really wish you would try to learn the basics of biology before you attempt to demolish it.

Nothing in what I written attempts to demolish “biology”.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit