Did Jesus pre exist? Yes or no?

by UnshackleTheChains 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

The notion that Jesus had lived as a spirit before he was born takes away the power of his triumph over sin and death and the Bible know nothing of such idea. Only in the NT do we read of Jesus as someone who is alive and taking part in the affairs of human being living on the earth. The Jewish scriptures only speak of Jesus in the sense of looking forward to his coming, not spoken of as already existing, but as someone who would exist one day when the time was right.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Not only did Jesus NOT pre-exist, he didn't exist or "post-exist" either.

While there may - or may not - have been a historical Jewish revolutionary who was the object of a massive historical publicity campaign and con-job, there certainly NEVER was a "Son of God."

Why? Because there is NO god to "father" such a Son.

Religion is a snare and a racket - truer words were never spoken!

Only you can set you free.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

A poster claimed:

"Christianity could never have spread so quickly in the first century given the impact he had made during his short life here on earth."

How quickly did 'Christianity' spread in the first century? And how many followers did it gain?

There is no way that we can gain any real idea of the numbers of followers, in either the first, the second or the third centuries.

We can though, I believe, establish how early christianity spread? At first, 'christianity' was not much more than a Jewish sect and it seems to have had a specific appeal to many Jews who wondered why the Romans could defeat them and hold them in subjection, if their god was the true, all-powerful deity they imagined him to be. So irrespective of why they believed, the fact is that the greatest increase was along the Jewish communities along the network of the so-called 'Silk Road' (condemned so enthusiastically in Revelation 18:11 >. These Jewish communities also had groups of gentiles who associated with the Jewish communities.

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno

Pre-existing Conditions weren't covered under Joseph's health plan.

• Old Navy
    Old Navy

One day in the future we shall all know for a certainty. Before he took the temporary "demotion" to human status in order to learn obedience and to show us "The Way" I do believe he was the "firstborn son." We haven't any idea what that truly means yet; such as how did his original birth take place; was he created in a manner similar to Adam? I dunno. But, one day we shall know for sure...

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Antony Buzzard, what a funny fellow. He's like a throwback to the nineteenth century interlocutors of Russell.

I take it you've seen the video of him arguing with two JWs.

https://youtu.be/2XPo43BgdBM

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

No, he never exited he's an ancient fairy tale just like YHWH. all imaginary and not real.

• waton
    waton

If the biographical Jesus, walking on water, resurrecting 12 year old young ladies by laying on top of them is real, it is only a small step to extend the fantasy into the distant past. He must have been watching while the snake talked, water lapped over Mt Everest, Satan showed him all the kingdoms on a flat Earth. The near eternal, invisible part is easy.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

There's so many differences in the gospels about Jesus. One example in one account he's born during the life of Herod, in another he's born in the time of a Syrian governor who ordered a census it like a 12 year difference. This is just one of many discrepancies.

Christians will say things like what about the historians that say something about Jesus or Christ in their writings. Well for one the name Jesus is never mentioned or is Greek proper name just that of his title Christ. But is this the Christ their referring to? Many Christians don't realize that there was more then one god or deity with the title Christ. Serapis, Helios and others.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Interesting question.

However, before I consider it, I need to see evidence outside the Bible that the Jesus character, as per the Bible, existed in real life. No one has ever shown anything convincing. Even the Jesus character didn't write anything.

Even if there is evidence that Jesus existed, It goes nowhere to prove he was the son of God, or divine or whatever.

I think, taking a step back and first proving the Bible is the word of some god, is where many will not tread. I know many who take the Bible as the word of some god, as true without considering if it is.

then there is the problem of which denomination has the correct interpretation.

And so it goes...................

Oh, I'd love Jesus and god to be real. After leaving the JWs, I'll never believe anything on faith ever again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit