J. W's Are Afraid of Old Literature

by IWant2Leave 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

Yes and if you control the platform that that the information is disseminated from.

There's a game called Simple Simon Says - you have to do something if the words 'Simple Simon says' come before the command. If those words are not expressed you don't do the command.

Similarly if today the words on the Broadcast are this, you do this. If tomorrow the words are that, you do that.

• skin
    skin

When I joined this religion 30 years ago, a sign of how spiritual you were was based on the size of your personal library. I built myself up an awesome sized library that any witness would have been proud of, we would compare books, who had the oldest etc. When visiting other brother’s homes, where is your WT library if it wasn’t in full view in the main room in there house. Not anymore. Owning any WT book older than about 10 years, now gets me a sideways look from my PIMI, usually followed by the question, why do you need that? everything we need is now online. I’ve even had this guilt line said to me, “What if we come under ban and you still have those books”. We had a letter read out about 7 years ago, asking for all old WT books to be returned to the Branch office so they could add them in the WT museum, we were expected to cover the cost of postage to send them. Not me, I ended up selling online (kept the good ones), my PIMI told me to put the money into the donation box at the KH, I kept the money, why would I want to pay for those books twice?

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

I read that book cover to cover when I was 19 years old because I was too young to remember when (or if) it was studied among the congregations. I didn't want to miss out on anything.

Lots of types and anti-types. Lately, I've been studying the different kinds of known tick varieties.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

OH Sea Breeze that`s funny,HA HA ,I hope they never take him off JW.Org.I think he will do a marvellous job of preventing new ones from joining and help older ones in getting out.

But thats just my opinion.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I think the green book "Your Will Be Done On Earth" would be a good book to show how the religion is full of shit when it comes to interpretrating prophecy and everything else.

The U.S.S.R. the king of the North & the U.K./ U.S.A. as the king of the South. during the "Cold War" period.

Those of the younger generation if you haven`t ever read this book I reccommend it ,its a fascinating read that did seem to fit the times we were then living in back then ,but of course its " old truths" now.

That phrase always fascinated me ,how can a new truth when it has been first delivered become an old truth?

OH, when that new truth fails to come to fruition ,then it becomes an old truth.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

:) Great thread! lol. I remember my JW mom prominently displayed her set of Russels "Studies in the Scriptures" in the living room used for the local book study group for all to see so she could brag about how long she had been a JW. (Next to the 1930s family photo in front of a sound car).

So I just grabbed them one day when I was about 17 and read a ton of bat shit crazy stuff about Egyptian Pyramids foretelling the future. Great illustrations that I showed her over dinner. :) She jumped up like she had seen a ghost and said: "Don't read that old crap! It will knock you out of the truth!!!!! " lol :)

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom
    Reading "older publications" published by the Watchtower is actually encouraged.

It certainly used to be Atlantis, but you will find nothing like the following in any Watchtower written in this century, the irony of this becoming old light is quite striking;
    “Those who really are growing in maturity find that familiarity with basic theocratic publications is a tremendous aid ... Their zeal for knowledge may even prompt them to dig back into things that were published long before they came into the truth, expanding and deepening their understanding, and ever growing in Christian maturity. Do you dig out older publications to expand and deepen your knowledge … Have you really studied these earlier publications? ... How is your background of knowledge? ... Studying them is not a chore, but a pleasure when your interest is not in the number of pages you are to read, but rather in the knowledge that you will get, ... Never think: “Oh, I know most of that.” For you will find, indeed, that you do not … And once you have completed your study of them you can then look to even older publications. ... studying earlier publications and digging back through previous issues of The Watchtower ... There is much in the way of spiritual riches and aids toward mature knowledge in these earlier publications, and their study is most certainly worth your time. By checking back through the Society’s earlier publications you will … rejoice to see your understanding continue to grow.” (Watchtower, May 15, 1957, pages 313, 314 and 315).

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I have not stepped inside a Kingdom Hall in about 12 years, maybe longer. For those who are PIMO or have just recently left, please tell me what have Witnesses done with the congregation library inside the Kingdom Halls? The Kingdom Hall I attended as a really young child had a massive library with literature going back to the beginning of Russell including the old phonograph records.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

the babylon book--? was that the thick bright red job ? i was on my way out when that was being the study material for tuesday nights. didnt they study it twice ?

fancy reading it again now ? not my idea of fun.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Ding - "I asked, 'When do WT publications stop being the truth and turn into garbage and apostate literature?'...He stormed out of my living room."

Reminds me of a video on YouTube I once saw about a guy showing folks on the street certain passages in the Koran than they found offensive, with one fellow in particular espousing the Bible as therefore being inherently superior...

...only for the first guy to pull off the dust jacket and reveal that he was actually reading from the Bible.

And the Biblical loyalist turned and stormed off down the street in a huff.

Funny thing about assholes that we sometimes forget...

...you can give them enough toilet paper, but eventually they'll shit on themselves.

Vidiot

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit