J. W's Are Afraid of Old Literature

by IWant2Leave 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    fastJehu - "When I expressed my first doubts to my mother, she said to me, 'You read too much old literature'..."

I had the odd acquaintance (they never became actual friends) who'd say to me "you think too much".

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Giordano - "I've always thought that the WTBT Society was a lot closer to being akin to Amway then the Bible."

Holy shit, yes.

I had a "worldy" co-worker try and induct me into Amway back in the day (I was still an active JW at the time), and I found the parallels downright creepy.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Balaamsass2 - "She jumped up like she had seen a ghost and said: 'Don't read that old crap! It will knock you out of the truth!!!!!'..."

Sounds like a refreshing moment of (accidental) honesty.Vidiot

I'd have felt an almost overwhelming urge to reply (at the very least), "well, why the fuck do you keep it???"

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    tiki - "Perhaps the blind are leading the blind..."

Close.

Ray Franz once quoted another Bethelite describing WT higher-ups as "followers leading followers".

• Longlivetherenegades
    Longlivetherenegades

This thread is funny with the numerous memories of OLD TRUTH

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

This must be the only “religion” that doesn’t publish anything written by their own founder.

That should be all one needs to know.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

I had the odd acquaintance (they never became actual friends) who'd say to me "you think too much".

You must know some of the same people I do. My standard reply, accompanied by a look like I wanted to hit them over the head with a baseball bat, was, "Nooo. . .YOU don't think ENOUGH!"

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

OH, when that new truth fails to come to fruition ,then it becomes an old truth. ' ~ Smiddy

Or, the expression I've heard is, "It was the Truth for that time."

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

Watchtower time keeping - it's 3 o'clock so it must be Thursday. When it gets to 4 it's Friday. When it gets to 5 it's 8 o'clock and 8 o'clock'll be lasting 12 hours. And that'll be the new length of the midweek meeting.

Now we're going to sing our new Kingdom Song. Why not try to memorize the lyrics? Then when you are in prison you can find comfort by singing it to yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eps81-QV_e4

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" Or, the expression I've heard is, "It was the Truth for that time."

Their founder, Chas. Russell, said that if a new truth replaces an old one ( I think he actually said " new Light....") then what was replaced was NOT Truth (or Light).

He said New Light made the view brighter, as in illuminating a building with more and more light.

So the comment about "truth at that time" was rightly recognised by Chazzer as being nonsense.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit