Havent gone to the kingdom hall in ten years but may have to go back...

by Joliette 64 Replies latest jw experiences

• minimus
    minimus

Sorry but this sounds like bs to me. But what do I know??

• Joliette
    Joliette

The thing with me is that I live a pretty clean life. I drink a little bit, only on special occasions, I don't smoke at all...I know it's a scam and a cult, I know it's a highly controlled group, I know but at this point of my life, I don't have too many other choices. Because of the choices that I made when I was younger, I'm really suffering now.

Like I mention, some people leave the watchtower and are really successful, but some people are not. I'm starting to really understand why the suicide rate for this religion is so high. There is not enough offline, direct support. There is good online support, but you have to find the right people to talk to.

If anyone wants to email me, feel free: [email protected]. I'm not on here a lot anymore.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer
    Like I mention, some people leave the watchtower and are really successful, but some people are not.

You have described your financial situation as being bleak. I'm confused ... how are you imagining you are going to get support from JWs except for words? If you return to that Organization you won't get any more real help from them than from your 'worldly' associates.

There is not enough offline, direct support. There is good online support, but you have to find the right people to talk to.

Again, except for the words, when you "find the right people to talk to," how is online or offline support from JWs going to help you, since there isn't any?

I'm starting to really understand why the suicide rate for this religion is so high.

If you get that, then why in the world would you want to return to THAT Organization?

• Joliette
    Joliette

Even when you do leave the kingdom hall, (especially when your family is still in) it's REALLY hard to move on, I think with me, the best things for me to do was to leave as soon as I turned 18 and never talk about it again. Suicide rates are high for both active and ex JWs. There was a popular ex JWs who killed himself like 10 years ago. No matter how long I have been away from the kingdom hall it's like I'm STILL a Jehovah's Witness. People have actually told me that I am still at least mentally a JWs even though I haven't been to a meeting in over ten years. I didn't realize it was a cult until I was 26. I wish I had realized much earlier in life. I didn't get baptized when I was younger cause I felt that I needed to wait until I was an adult.

I more than likely will have to go back. No, I was never baptized, but I went from the time I was 3 until I was 28, so I may as well have been baptized. I should have left when I was 18. I almost died from diabetes (diabetic ketoacidosis) like a year ago, and my only support was my Jehovah's Witness mom.

I've read ex JW's material, made friends with ex JWs on FB, forums, etc, but they're still isn't solid help for people who have been exposed to cults. It's like they do irreversible brainwashing on you. Struggling economically, dealing with a lot of discrimination, triple oppression, etc. It's like people don't understand that every EX JW's experience is different. Not all people can leave this and just live a normal life and forget about it. I'll be 38, and I feel more trapped in my life than I ever have.

Like I mentioned earlier if anyone wants to reach out to me feel free to message me, [email protected].

Peace.

• Joliette
    Joliette

I really understand that there is a religious conspiracy, just based on the experiences that I had in my life. I really hope that there is a huge backlash and national outcry against highly controlled groups. It really is a conspiracy. Even when you want to leave, it's like they have a psychological hold on you that can never be reversed.

Really trying to get myself together in 2021 both economically and health-wise, trying to get my diabetes in check, trying to finish my human services degree, and hopefully move in the next year or so, maybe to another place, or to another city.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut
    Really trying to get myself together in 2021 both economically and health-wise, trying to get my diabetes in check,

A friend of mine was out of work temporarily but because of that, was qualified to get one of those high tech insulin pumps and his A1c has improved greatly. They're quite speedy but not impossible. Might you be eligible for some kind of financial assistance that can help you get one??

trying to finish my human services degree, and hopefully move in the next year or so, maybe to another place, or to another city.

How about changing the words "trying", "hopefully" and "maybe" to.... "I am, "I will" and I'm determined to"

I feel for you because I know what it's like to be "conditioned" to think that in order to be happy, successful, fulfilled etc you have to be a JW. That what we learn through fear is hard to unlearn. Fear is the No1 tactic that groups like JW's use to get sell their program to others. They are scared people who pass on their own fears to others.

• Overrated
    Overrated

Take my advice, you need some counseling. I had some when I woke up and faded. It helped alot. Things will get better for you as you get busy living your life. Find friend that will help you as a support system. Trust me! It will only get better.

• KiddingMe
    KiddingMe

I am so sorry for what you are going through. You talk as if you have no choice but to get baptized...has your mother made that a condition for living with her???

Even if you said things about being a JW to the wrong family members...I hate to say this but you can always back track or have a “change of heart after some prayer” in other words, do or say enough for them to back off or smooth things out for now...until you can get on your feet and hopefully on your own. Even saying something like, “I don’t know what I was thinking when I said that” Just don’t go as far as getting baptized. That will bring on even more pressure.

• Joliette
    Joliette

I have done therapy. First and foremost, you have to have the right insurance or good or great insurance to get the best therapist. I have state insurance, you don't get the highest quality therapist having the type of insurance that I have. I'm a low-income person and I don't get the highest quality therapy having the type of insurance that I have.

Therapy has been somewhat of a joke for me.

I can do readings on cult recovery and how to combat cult teachings, but I wish I read stuff like this a long time ago. It's really tough you guys. It really depends on your situation.

• dozy
    dozy

Hi - I do sincerely sympathise with your situation , but have you really though this one through? I haven't read the thread through so doubtless other posters have made similar comments , but just my 2c.

Initially you will experience short term "love bombing" - in these days when the truth about JWs is just a Google search away , very few people join JWs these days , and a former lapsed JW who returns would receive a lot of attention. Very quickly , after baptism , this would disappear and you would just be treated like any other member of the congregation.

Would you really want to be spending hours every week knocking on doors ( or being judged if you weren't "doing enough"). Or standing beside a literature cart at some crappy railway station? Sitting through two long boring meetings a week - dragging yourself out on a Sunday morning or weekday evening.

As a 30 something female JW - you know that the chances of finding a boyfriend / husband in the Borg are pretty much zero. You would just be regarded as yet another single JW "sister" - pretty much the bottom of the pecking order in the Borg. Cut out of most of the congregation cliques. In the unlikely event you did meet someone - can you imagine dating with a chaperone tagging along at all times?

JWs is just a former religious publishing business - now mainly a real estate flipping business. Its like a MLM. People work for free with the promise being the imminent new order - a false promise that has been made since the 1870's. It has certain elements of a religion , but in truth - ultimately , that is all it is.

Whatever the question is - joining a cult can never be an answer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit