What made you stay "in" even when you knew it wasn't the "truth"?

by mentalclarity 70 Replies latest jw experiences

• millie210
    millie210

What made me stay in was family.

I thought they would flip out and sure enough...they have!

I am not Dfd but they basically treat me as though I am.

My second reason was fear. It seemed like such a big step to walk away.

I have found it is made easier (for me) by doing it in baby steps.

Still, nothing is as bad as being "in" and knowing its not the right thing.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I stopped going to meetings before I figured it out to be untrue intellectually. I just knew I felt so bad when I was at the meetings that I couldn't do it anymore. Then, once I had created some emotional distance I started reseaching - the rest is history.

• Magnum
    Magnum

I actually didn't stay in once I figured it out. I had doubts and concerns all along, but as time dragged on and JWdom dumbed down more and more and the "imminent" end seemed to be less imminent with the passing of time, I really started praying hard and digging and thinking deeply and researching, and the scales began to fall off my eyes. I quit all association at that point.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Great comments.

I guess for me it was the fear of the unknown.

Hence the username "stuckinarut2" (as in "I am stuck in a rut too")

I didn't see my way clear, as it was all I knew all my life...

• mentalclarity
    mentalclarity

@sparrowdown- that's what happened with me too. I stopped going to meetings after hearing a talk by a CO on being "humble". That was the last straw - I just refused to be a drone...and then the doubts about the doctrines were confirmed once I had some distance.

@stuckinarut2 - fear of the unknown is right! or fear that it would be even worse outside. I always think of that movie "The Village" when trying to explain that to some.

• mentalclarity
    mentalclarity

@millie210 family is the big one too! I don't have any family (siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins) who are not JWs. It would have been easier of at least one family member was not JW.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

YES! That movie "The Village" is a must-see for all who are breaking free of a high control group!

• hoser
    hoser

I'm still in because my wife isn't ready to leave yet.

• millie210
    millie210
    mentalclarity
    @millie210 family is the big one too! I don't have any family (siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins) who are not JWs. It would have been easier of at least one family member was not JW.

Boy do I agree!

Thats ok though...I am of the opinion that at least some of our still in family envy us.

Of course they shove the thought down and repress it immediately but thats not the same as never having the thought is it?

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Family, friends, being used to the JW lifestyle. Also, accentuating the 'good' which far outweighs the 'conflictive'.

At this rather late stage in life, it's of most benefit for me to just ride it out than if I just jump ship.

It's quite complicated.

DY

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit